Is gambling required at the higher skill levels?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Has anyone mentioned that playing for stakes is not gambling?
I considered it paying for lessons 🤷. In the early '80s my play money was $20-40. Just for a challenge. I could make it in the Little league games, $1&2 nine ball was profitable to that depth of pocket. Then take the money and shoot it at the stronger players at higher stakes.🤷
"Ya wanna play some?" Is my favorite cordial greeting. Would be music to my ears.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
The reason only matters when I come back an hour later to find them playing my wife for $5 a Game.🤷
This happened right at closing on a Friday night in the tavern next to the all night Team Players in Chico. My loud talk got him to commit to $10 a game next door. I stopped at the cash machine and got $100. Walked in to find the Young man in conversation with the Drug Dealer. He immediately informed me that we were off as he had a $20 game with this guy. My reply was, "if it's about the money, let's play for $40." The Drug Dealer interject to me, "I will play you for $50." Game on ...and he won the first. I earned $650 that night.🤷 I told my wife, "with as many people that I didn't know whispers in my ear, 'beat this guy he's a drug dealer.' He won't be on the street much longer." He was in the mini bar motel by Monday.🤷

Justaneng

Registered
Two adult established players agreeing to put money on the line is one thing, but for each time that happens there’s 100 instances of a senior bar banger trying to force a bet on a more junior bar banger out at Jim’s corner tavern on 2nd and main, complete with every hustling and sharking routine being broken out should the result ever be in doubt.

This aspect of the pool gambling culture absolutely destroys American pool relative to Europe, and hinders any possible American advancement in the sport.

tomatoshooter

I was traveling and speed in a pool hall. I wound up playing a few games with a guy. We were switching up games and not keeping score, and it was a lot of fun. I honestly don't know who came out ahead.

Sometimes putting money on the line brings up your focus and makes the game feel more important. I enjoy that, too although it isn't precisely fun.

It's kind of weird how some people are aggressive trying to gamble with me sometimes, I seem to be close to even in those games.

Sometimes I play guys I know can beat me for $5/game, that's not gambling, just paying for a lesson. I like doing this with the old timers,I feel like I'm getting access to the history and experience of a past era.

I think there's plenty of room for all of it from funsies to high stakes.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think most players that love the game WISH they could always play their best. As time passes, I think many just get tired of the internal struggle to focus and bring their best game at all times. So gambling becomes a shortcut for focusing. Sure many get caught up in chasing the money, but others just want to get locked in and test themselves. It's important to understand what gambling is to you and your opponent. I'm not a big fan of playing guys that are just after a buck. If they are doing it to test themselves, then we are both on the same page.

Last edited:

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two adult established players agreeing to put money on the line is one thing, but for each time that happens there’s 100 instances of a senior bar banger trying to force a bet on a more junior bar banger out at Jim’s corner tavern on 2nd and main, complete with every hustling and sharking routine being broken out should the result ever be in doubt.

This aspect of the pool gambling culture absolutely destroys American pool relative to Europe, and hinders any possible American advancement in the sport.
So are you implying that Europeans don't gamble at pool?

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So are implying that Europeans don't gamble at pool?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So are implying that Europeans don't gamble at pool?
There’s less action in Europe than America. Seems like there’s more action in the UK than Central Europe as well. I’ve gambled everywhere. But America & Asia seem to have more action

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do know for a fact that some countries over there give their players a stipend once they attain a certain level (i.e. world champion). With that in mind I believe they're attitude is to not deal with gambling as it is almost on stain on they're reputation and they want to represent their country in a stately fashion.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do know for a fact that some countries over there give their players a stipend once they attain a certain level (i.e. world champion). With that in mind I believe they're attitude is to not deal with gambling as it is almost on stain on they're reputation and they want to represent their country in a stately fashion.
That doesn’t apply to the Philippine’s 💪💪🇵🇭🇵🇭

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Besides gambling is so main stream now I feel that it should be embraced. Whether you do it or not is up to the individual.

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love pool and play daily. As my skill level increased I've noticed a reoccurring theme. Whenever I match up with higher skilled players it always ends up with a proffer to gamble. Always.

I'll gamble sometimes. When I do I usually end up ahead, unless it's in doubles but that's another thread altogether, but gambling isn't why I'm there. Pool is why I'm there. I'll play rack after rack alone or practicing different aspects of the game by myself. I spend a lot of time coaching and playing with lower skill players and never have a problem finding someone to play with but inevitably whenever equally matched or higher skilled players come around it always ends up with a proffer to gamble.

I love to match up with equally skilled or higher skilled players. It makes my day. I love the competition and there is nothing I like better. However, within a few racks it inevitably turns into an offer to gamble and if the offer is declined there is no interest left.

Am I alone in this? Is it about the game or the gamble? Are the two inseparable? Does anyone want to match up for fun?

Just do what makes YOU happy bud .

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
they all bet their own money when they have it, just like the american or europian players that gamble.

most pool players cant keep it worth a sh-t so they get backers or stackhorses for their games, if they can.

if they arent good high stakes gamblers they become tournament players.

Last edited:

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they all bet their own money when they have it. just like the american or europian players that gamble.

most pool players cant keep it worth a sh-t so they get backers or stackhorses for their games. if they can.

if they arent good high stakes gamblers they become tournament players.
So yeah when you are good enough you are only playing other world beaters or have to outrun the nuts against suckers every time. When that doesn't work then you go and make a living playing tournaments where you have to beat more world beaters too and have to come in third just to make the nut.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
3 simple sentences try re reading to understand.

your reply is a prime example of the sucker who happens to play well.