Is it considered bad form to take a shot just to screw over your opponent?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure it is. More pool politics.

BCA = trade organization and North American member of the WPA
BCAPL = one part of CSI, a league organization headquartered in Henderson, NV, and formerly the league system run by the BCA until about 2004

The BCA in BCAPL officially does not stand for anything. It's just letters.

Correct....​

History​

The BCA Pool League was created in 1978 by the Billiard Congress of America (BCA) as a means to unify independent leagues around the world. In 2004, the BCA decided to divest the league portion of its business and sold the league to CueSports International (CSI).

The "PL" stands for pool league.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends. In BCAPL, safes are a legal shot. But.... intentionally fouling, as in shooting directly at your opponents ball to tie it up, is considered a sportsmanship violation.
Intentional fouls are pretty routine in 14.1, no?

I believe that safeties are not allowed in 3C, but there is no penalty.

Last edited:

zencues.com

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It depends. In BCAPL, safes are a legal shot. But.... intentionally fouling, as in shooting directly at your opponents ball to tie it up, is considered a sportsmanship violation.
not really... if I have no shot or safety play I can foul intentionally, then it's your shot with ball in hand. Like it or don't like it.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That depends on the location and the opponent. In some bars you don't want to start that stuff. I used to play in a bar league where there was a rule: No Safes! Really. And that's the way we played.
I play in such a bar, too.

However, there are shots where you try to cross bank a ball and the CB just happens to end up behind 3 other balls .............

The keyword, there, is try !

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Intentional fouls are pretty routine in 14.1, no?

I believe that safeties are not allowed in 3C, but there is no penalty.
Post 19... cueing the object ball directly. We have a guy in the area famous for doing a form of this. He would strike the cue ball, and magically rake his cue into a cluster to break them up. There is no way to restore the balls to their original position because there is no restoration allowed in BCA if more then one ball was disturbed, which is a foul. He gets the break out, and gives you ball in hand. Of course he claims it was an accident.

Generally he does it if you have little chance for a run out, and he knows he will be out if he gets back to the table.

That is just one form of what I was talking about. It is a sportsmanship violation.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... and magically rake his cue into a cluster to break them up....
Try a preemptive warning warning whenever you think there is some chance of that. "Please don't rake your balls apart with your cue stick. That will be unsportsmanlike conduct and loss of game." As often as possible will be most effective.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post 19... cueing the object ball directly. We have a guy in the area famous for doing a form of this. He would strike the cue ball, and magically rake his cue into a cluster to break them up. There is no way to restore the balls to their original position because there is no restoration allowed in BCA if more then one ball was disturbed, which is a foul. He gets the break out, and gives you ball in hand. Of course he claims it was an accident.

Generally he does it if you have little chance for a run out, and he knows he will be out if he gets back to the table.

That is just one form of what I was talking about. It is a sportsmanship violation.
OK, but I have no idea what this has to do with my post.