Is it possible for streamers to offer two types of streams?

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It doesn't matter what sport, certain commentators can and will get annoying to sports fans. I remember ppv consumers stating they refused to purchase an event because of commentary alone. Wouldn't it be great to mute commentators, but still be able to hear the table action?

I read where the BBC use to offer different audio choices for viewers of the world cup. Meaning, those viewers could choose to watch the world cup with commentary or without. I also read some internet chatter where commentators could be "muted" by unplugging certain speakers in a Dolby surround sound system, leaving only the sounds of the crowd and field.

Is it possible for streamers to offer two types of streams?: 1) those with commentary and 2) those without

And, has anyone tried to "mute" commentary by unplugging speakers in a surround sound system?

BugHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the muting of the commentary by cutting one speaker would only work when the broadcast is in at least 5.1 surround. Then the center channel carries the person speaking and the fronts/rears carry the rest of the sound. Not likely anyone will be streaming in 5.1 any time soon, but ya never know. That would work nice, and it would not require them to produce two different audio streams.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the videos from the Florida Seminole pro tour 4 or 5 years ago did something similar. They were not live videos, but edited after the fact. For each match, you could select one of two options: with or without commentary.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Interesting question.... Accu-Stats runs a mixer into the recording device and also runs a line to the tricaster... It may be possible on the stream to have both commentators on the left bias and the ambient on the right bias... We assumed you wanted the commentators on the left and right but it could be fixed so that instead of muting you just turned the bias knob so all you hear is the ambient noise...... or you left it balanced and got ambient and commentary...... Pat Jr is our sound guy and I will bring the subject up to him..

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the muting of the commentary by cutting one speaker would only work when the broadcast is in at least 5.1 surround. Then the center channel carries the person speaking and the fronts/rears carry the rest of the sound. Not likely anyone will be streaming in 5.1 any time soon, but ya never know. That would work nice, and it would not require them to produce two different audio streams.

Since it's recorded in stereo you could have the commentary in the left channel and the other ambient sounds in the right channel.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
Sometimes the commentators can get annoying. A lot of the times I like hearing the commentators simply because the crack me up. I would like to believe that most pool players watching the games know what the pros are going to shoot most of the time and don't need commentators telling people what every shot is. It can go either way but it seems they can get annoying rather quickly if they talk too much.

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the input. Why wouldn't anyone stream in 5.1? Again, not a tech guy. :frown:

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the videos from the Florida Seminole pro tour 4 or 5 years ago did something similar. They were not live videos, but edited after the fact. For each match, you could select one of two options: with or without commentary.

I do remember this now that you mentioned it, but like you said they were edited and not live broadcasts. What I liked most about said videos, is they only showed you the shots being executed, not the lag time between each shot. You could watch a two hour match in 45 mins. :D

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting question.... Accu-Stats runs a mixer into the recording device and also runs a line to the tricaster... It may be possible on the stream to have both commentators on the left bias and the ambient on the right bias... We assumed you wanted the commentators on the left and right but it could be fixed so that instead of muting you just turned the bias knob so all you hear is the ambient noise...... or you left it balanced and got ambient and commentary...... Pat Jr is our sound guy and I will bring the subject up to him..

This option sounds like it would definitely work. Sure am interested into Pat Jr's opinion on the matter.

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
This option sounds like it would definitely work. Sure am interested into Pat Jr's opinion on the matter.

It would work but there would be an 80 page thread about how the voices only come out of one speaker and the guys running the stream need to stop being unprofessional.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
It would work but there would be an 80 page thread about how the voices only come out of one speaker and the guys running the stream need to stop being unprofessional.

ROTFLMAO!

JoeyA

ratnip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I just choked on my beer, thank you very much for the laugh. :grin:

BugHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input. Why wouldn't anyone stream in 5.1? Again, not a tech guy. :frown:
Well, the extra channels would be a waste of bandwidth is all. Upload bandwidth at every pool hall might not be adequate to offer unlimited quality, and lets face it, they're looking to give you a quality stream you can see and hear. There's only so much bandwidth to work with. The entire premise of 5.1 is to offer surround sound, and it simply doesn't apply here.

The stereo idea sounds cool and all, and I suppose the separation would not be a deal breaker. I was sorta thinking of a limited amount of separation with 2 channels, and that no matter what you did, the voices would bleed in. But, perhaps that's not the case. In my limited experience, stereo separation is generally not good enough to totally cancel out one source.

I also had to laugh on that one. :thumbup: