Is It Safe to Have Amateurs Dismantle a Gold Crown?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
it is surely not a GC3. The leg stretcher bolts are a give away. and also can see one of the flanges that is mounted on the top of the apron. It is a GC1. GC2 even has some of the bronze color parts, feet and ball storage metal.

TFT
Good eye!!!! By apron hanger you mean the aluminum doohickies that attach the apron to the rail the early GCI's had full length hangers and late GCI's and later had segmented hangers?? Is that correct???

Last edited:

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey thin! Do tell of a "hybrid"?? WE in the business call it a FRANKENTABLE, missmatched parts from other tables or models even.

TFT
I'm not an expert, but as I understand it there's a difference between a hybrid and a Frankentable. A hybrid is a transition table that came from the factory with some features of the coming model, but that carried over some parts from the previous one...i.e., they were originally that way when new. A Frankentable is where different tables got their parts mixed up later in life (for instance when multiple tables were stored in pieces in pool halls and then put back together piecemeal), so it combines bits and pieces that didn't originally belong together.

And a restoration differs from a restomod thusly: a restoration is an attempt to restore a table to all-original condition, as it would have been when new (only sometimes better), while a restomod (the word is a portmanteau of restored and modified) is a restored table with various deliberate improvements made to it on purpose.

The latter distinction comes from the car world I believe—for instance when an antique car might have a modern water pump, fan, and brakes. I wrote about a guy I met named Bernie who had a bitchin' restomod here, although his was maybe a little further toward hot rod:

I will post some more pictures of the table soon, in hopes that you guys can help me identify it further. I'd love to know.

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The biggest issue you will have with a I, as opposed to a III, will be if you need to replace the cushions. Modern day K55 cushions are not a direct replacement.. Not a huge issue, but there are several different solutions, all with different outcomes. If you would like more information, I would be happy to expand on it. With any luck though, your current cushions are in good shape.
The cushions have already been replaced. The current owner had the local mechanic (from Rochester) replace the cushions and cloth when he bought it four years ago. He's hardly played on it so they're still all but new. I have the last owner's receipt for the work but it doesn't specify what kind of cloth or what kind of cushions.

But I would love it if you would expand on the options, I love learning about pool tables and I'm eager to become knowledgeable about the one I have.
It sure looks like you're going to have a nice room to play in. I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. You've also got a pretty good looking friend there.
I sometimes call him Mr. Handsome. He's a rescue who came to me with the name of Butters, which I think came from a character in the cartoon "South Park." He's reticent about having his picture taken but he knows he's a star. Very friendly, gentle dog. Half lab, 1/4 pit bull, not sure what the rest of him is.

He was extremely anxious, neurotic, and badly socialized when I got him--he had been kept alone in a cage with a concrete floor for months of his early life. Bad leash reactivity, separation hysteria, anxiety-caused involuntary bowel movements, coprophagia--he was a hurtin' pup. But I worked with him for hundreds of hours--hundreds and hundreds—and patience paid off. As an adult he's still a little skittish and can occasionally get worked up too much, but he's basically secure and well behaved, even laid-back. He's never going to have a good recall but he can do all sorts of nifty tricks when he's motivated. He obeys hand signals better than voice commands.

Attachments

• Mr Handsome small 2.jpg
    Mr Handsome small 2.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 75

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cushions have already been replaced. The current owner had the local mechanic (from Rochester) replace the cushions and cloth when he bought it four years ago. He's hardly played on it so they're still all but new. I have the last owner's receipt for the work but it doesn't specify what kind of cloth or what kind of cushions.

But I would love it if you would expand on the options, I love learning about pool tables and I'm eager to become knowledgeable about the one I have.

I sometimes call him Mr. Handsome. He's a rescue who came to me with the name of Butters, which I think came from a character in the cartoon "South Park." He's reticent about having his picture taken but he knows he's a star. Very friendly, gentle dog. Half lab, 1/4 pit bull, not sure what the rest of him is.

He was extremely anxious, neurotic, and badly socialized when I got him--he had been kept alone in a cage with a concrete floor for months of his early life. Bad leash reactivity, separation hysteria, anxiety-caused involuntary bowel movements, coprophagia--he was a hurtin' pup. But I worked with him for hundreds of hours--hundreds and hundreds—and patience paid off. As an adult he's still a little skittish and can occasionally get worked up too much, but he's basically secure and well behaved, even laid-back. He's never going to have a good recall but he can do all sorts of nifty tricks when he's motivated. He obeys hand signals better than voice commands.

Beautiful looking dog.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Mike the Beginner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started a new thread with 12 pictures of the Gold Crown in pieces, hoping people here can help me identify make, model, year, and anything else that's interesting. Have a look:

L.S. Dennis

If the table is a Gold Crown I or II, I might agree with you. However, Gold Crown III, IV, V, and VI are designed differently. They are designed to remove the entire rail top assembly as one piece.
I have a GClll and have had it apart more than once. Removing the aprons individually is mugh easier in my opinion.
Once the apron are removed then other things are much easier to go get to like the ball return gullies.

I used to have an old 9 foot Brunswick Viscount and I dissasembled it that way as well. I realize the the owners manual suggests to remove and install the top of the table all in one piece. Good luck trying to do that especially with a GC lll.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have a GClll and have had it apart more than once. Removing the aprons individually is mugh easier in my opinion.
Once the apron are removed then other things are much easier to go get to like the ball return gullies.

I used to have an old 9 foot Brunswick Viscount and I dissasembled it that way as well. I realize the the owners manual suggests to remove and install the top of the table all in one piece. Good luck trying to do that especially with a GC lll.
There is a problem removing the top of a GC3 while its together?? I do it all the time, even with the ball receiver on. Please do tell?? Interested

TFT

L.S. Dennis

There is a problem removing the top of a GC3 while its together?? I do it all the time, even with the ball receiver on. Please do tell?? Interested

TFT
I refinished the aprons on my GC lll, and I found it easier to take it apart piece by piece. If you and anothre very strong person can hoist the top off all in one piece, have at i! Each one of those aprons made of solid wood (unlike the plastic aprons on my old Visccount) are very heavy.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I refinished the aprons on my GC lll, and I found it easier to take it apart piece by piece. If you and anothre very strong person can hoist the top off all in one piece, have at i! Each one of those aprons made of solid wood (unlike the plastic aprons on my old Visccount) are very heavy.
Oh, you meant BY YOURSELF!! I was a lil confused. Thanks for clarifying! I have set up many by myself and have build everything in 4 sections and built it that route!

sellingboe

View attachment 578362
Trim has yet to be done. Shed was intended to have pink insulation, plywood walls, a homemade light, and painted subfloor. What it actually has is spray foam insulation, drywall, the brass pool table light you see here, and the nice commercial carpet remnant arrives next week. The wire sticking out of the wall is for the stereo. Heck, I spent $400 on PAINT.

Interior measurements wall to wall are 14'7" by 19'4". It was ordered at 16x20', but the width measurement is made at the outer edge of the overhang and then you have to account for the thickness of the walls and drywall. The subfloor is a full inch thick and the 2x6's across the skids are set 12" on center in the middle 8' to hopefully give it a little more solidity. Would be better on a concrete slab but y'know how it is, I can only have what I can afford.

Oh, and it originally was not going to have a Gold Crown. Yeah, I am slightly out of control....:cool:
Is that a Brunswick Centennial light? It looks like mine, but the shadows obscure it a bit.

sellingboe

If the table is a Gold Crown I or II, I might agree with you. However, Gold Crown III, IV, V, and VI are designed differently. They are designed to remove the entire rail top assembly as one piece.
Geoff, I'm going to be disassembling a GCI soon. Do you have a link to a similar doc you furnished on the GCIII? I'll find a mechanic to put it back together for me and set up after I do some minor restorative work. I just need to get it home. Thanks.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geoff, I'm going to be disassembling a GCI soon. Do you have a link to a similar doc you furnished on the GCIII? I'll find a mechanic to put it back together for me and set up after I do some minor restorative work. I just need to get it home. Thanks.
Do a search in this section. Trentfromtoldeo posted all the manuals.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
There are things in life I know I am not skilled to do.

Those thing I hire pro to do.

Some people are skill mechanically, everyone has comfort zone.

Weight cost of Pro, v/s your personal comfort zone.