Is it the rules or just me?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Eye, your [sic] 'modesty' is exceeded only by your failure to appreciate one pocket, the best gambling game played
on a pool table..(also now the most popular)...I suppose you would prefer to watch 'curling' rather than 'ice hockey' too!
..To each his own indeed! :rolleyes:

PS..BTW, Even now well into my 80's, I would gladly come out of retirement to take some of that '60 points at snooker' you routinely gave up!....(just pick a $$$ amount) :yeah:....Or we could play some even up one pocket.....I'll glad to show you how
to "bunt a few balls into the rail"! ;)

To be honest with you, I hate hockey...and soccer, too. I have never watched an entire game, of either, in my life. Those games are like one-pocket to me...long and boring.

I haven't played snooker in years, and I have never seen a snooker table here in Hawaii, but if you decide to come to Hawaii I'll play you some 9-ball. As nice as the weather is here, it would be a shame for you to spend all day in the pool hall bunting balls around playing one-pocket. We need to play something quick and fast so you can spend some of your time chasing hula girls later. I'll give you some of your money back to lei them.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To be honest with you, I hate hockey...and soccer, too. I have never watched an entire game, of either, in my life. Those games are like one-pocket to me...long and boring.

I haven't played snooker in years, and I have never seen a snooker table here in Hawaii, but if you decide to come to Hawaii I'll play you some 9-ball. As nice as the weather is here, it would be a shame for you to spend all day in the pool hall bunting balls around playing one-pocket. We need to play something quick and fast so you can spend some of your time chasing hula girls later. I'll give you some of your money back to lei them.

I see there is another area we differ greatly in!..Even at my advanced age, I do not 'chase' women...They chase me!..:grin: :grin: :grin: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=968261109950771&set=p.968261109950771&type=3&theater

In part, I agree. 'Honest effort' was a real joke. You acted like you tried to hit the ball, but, in fact you were playing whitey safe. And on and on it went.
So, along came 'shoot again' where you could make your opponent shoot if you didn't like where whitey was....and on and on it went.
Then came pushout. In the beginning, it was 2 consecutive fouls by the same player.You would push, he would push back...and on and on it went.This is wrong. If playing "2 by same player in your scenario the next foul would be BIH. It did not go on & on."
Enter pushout (mod). The player who committed the second consecutive foul gave up ball-in-hand. And we had a winner!My favorite way to play. Spot up all balls made on a foul also. BIH behind headstring on a 1st foul cueball scratch.
The strategy of where to push ( knowing what you're opponent would likely do ),Being able to bank, being able to make 'spot shots' ( a lost art ) , ... it is a great game.
When 1 foul was invented ( around 1969-1970 ), the rules were drastically different from the mess that texas express came with.
1. scratch on the break, all balls spot, whitey behind the head string.
2 Scratch and pocket a ball, ball-in-hand,ball pocketed spots up.
3 Scratck on the 9 ball, ball behind the line. If 9 ball pocketed, 9 ball spots..Gotta make those spot shots to play pushout.
Good luck 1 foulers.
If you see me playing 1 foul 9 ball, bet on me, because I'm stealing! ( only way to play 1 foul ).
I will match up playing pushout.

GS,

You are right about the strategies, there are almost none in 1 foul. Banking, spot-shots, knowing where to pushout and when to shoot when facing a pushout are all long gone now from nine-ball. Safeties were rarely played unless the situation allowed nothing else after all, why play a safety when all your opponent has to do is pushout to escape it?

RBL

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rather surprising to see so many down on TE. Not very long ago, it was just the opposite. I agree, Push out 9 ball is the better game and have been saying it for years.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rather surprising to see so many down on TE. Not very long ago, it was just the opposite. I agree, Push out 9 ball is the better game and have been saying it for years.

The majority of people I know that play pool now have never played anything other than Texas Express, so they don't know anything else. Therefore, whatever they don't know automatically isn't as good as what they know.

The game has deteriorated in my opinion.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The majority of people I know that play pool now have never played anything other than Texas Express, so they don't know anything else. Therefore, whatever they don't know automatically isn't as good as what they know.

The game has deteriorated in my opinion.

I taught some people to play push out 9 ball years ago who had never played it. They not only liked it, they agreed it was better. I don't think any of them kept at it, though. Too hard to get anyone else to play because they didn't know it either.
I keep hearing this nonsense about the so called "two way shot" but I personally think that in reality most "two way shots" are just plain misses, maybe not in One Pocket but in 9 ball.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Not in part at all, it was developed for tournaments. to speed the games up.

2. I never realized there were sooooooo many nits who gambled at 9 ball.
Where I misspent my youth, the players were self-regulating. It was a non-problem.

Any nit who played in the manner you, and many before you, have described
would soon find they couldn't get a game unless they took hostages.

Dale

Oh, I agree it was self regulating. Not many nits at Weenie Beenie's room where I came up in the 60' and 70's. You gambled or you didn't get played.
Bar pool was another story. You played whatever the 'house' rules were or you didn't get played. Now if you ran into a good player in a bar, you would usually play pushout.
But, the games I described were played by players who bet it up, especially in bars.
Baltimore Buddy Dennis played Truman Hogue at Guys and Dolls in suitland md $100 a game 9 ball 'shoot to hit the ball' rules. So it did happen.