Is it time to play one pocket??

Hello players.
I'm looking for solid reasons to learn more about one pocket.
I've played it some, but never saw or found the magic in it that I've often heard other players describe. I keep hearing it's the 'chess of pool.'
I love chess, but there's 6 holes on a table and I need every damn one of them!!
Perhaps it's a patience issue??
I do play fast and I can make a ball or three.
Appreciate any thoughtful comments.
I believe it's time.
It's obvious I'm missing out on something here.
We can start playing at C&C. I can teach you what I know, cheap. ;) Once, or if, you can beat me, then go seek out, Lou. There should also be players at C&C your speed you can battle with so you can have more fun playing one pocket. You've got to mix it up with better players, but also find players you can hang with, or beat, as you progress.
 
Last edited:
I also came to 1pocket from a 14.1 background and trust me: you do not, yet, have the skill set for 1pocket.

It's just a different kettle of fish. I've been playing it now for about 30 years and am still learning the skill set, lol. But you are correct about having the right mind set -- it's something that shifts based on the table, opponent, and vagaries of your own game. It's the hardest skill to arrive at. BTW, something you said about the higher skill players seeing your stroke and being concerned about being hustled reminded me of what the local 1pocket guys said to me when I first moved to STL and began to learn 1pocket: "I can't give you more than a ball or two because you shoot so straight." lol. Then every 1pocket player in the room proceeded to rob me for about the next two years.

Lou Figueroa
In the early years of 1P everyone in St. Louis robbed me, including you. Today I don’t shoot nearly as well but my knowledge is pretty high and still learning.
 
Banks...
I can bank.
I avoid them whenever possible. I don't use them as a crutch when faced with an extreme cut angle. I'll cut the paint off a ball, as evidenced by anyone who's seen me play. That being said, how much will using banks that often change how I play other games?? Or my game in general. I've seen players win at one pocket by getting close. Approximations. Then waiting for the inevitable mistake by their opponent.
I'm hesitant.
I'm afraid I'll get sloppy. Those precise cuts will vanish, only to be replaced by banks I will have learned by playing one pocket all the time. Has anyone else noticed something like this in their game??
Nope. If you can cut you can cut. 1P gives you enough practice with certain banks that they become hangers, and you learn some specialty stuff. So for shape reasons some banks that were iffy are no longer iffy and you might choose them for shape reasons.

I guess it really depends on the player, I don't think it will make you want to shoot banks more often per se, but it's a nice tool to have if the situation needs it... especially if you protect the CB. Overall I think it can add depth to anyone's game. There's just stuff that comes up regularly that you may never see in a year of playing other games. Once you know said "stuff", you can really count on it for an advantage in other games.
 
Nope. If you can cut you can cut. 1P gives you enough practice with certain banks that they become hangers, and you learn some specialty stuff. So for shape reasons some banks that were iffy are no longer iffy and you might choose them for shape reasons.

I guess it really depends on the player, I don't think it will make you want to shoot banks more often per se, but it's a nice tool to have if the situation needs it... especially if you protect the CB. Overall I think it can add depth to anyone's game. There's just stuff that comes up regularly that you may never see in a year of playing other games. Once you know said "stuff", you can really count on it for an advantage in other games.
Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!!👍🏻
 
You need time on the table staring at situations and finding solutions. You need a fairly good player as an opponent to put you in those situations and to show you why your solutions are no good at first.

If only there was a patient one pocket player there in St. Louis who could spar with you.
Thanks for the tip Bob.
I'm not sure if lou's still around or not. I'll have to check. There might be a couple hiding out down here, but you make a good point.

What was once a Mecca has devolved into what it is today. Leagues and barboxes.

I shouldn't view them in a negative context. Kept the game alive here. I should be grateful, if nothing else.
 
Come visit me and you'll learn a few tricks of the trade.
I'd never make it past airport security!! They frown on alias'.😉
if you don’t find the game attractive but still want to find a reason to play it, think about all the skills that it will force you to develop that can help your other games.

its like a never ending two way shot drill, with a lot of touchy finesse shots. this is helpful for a 9ball player that likes to stroke the cue and run out.

you kick a lot. you bank a lot. you learn multiple rail banks. you are forced to use your noodle.

play a couple hours of 1p and then come back and tell us if your banks are feeling more “on”
I can respond with a yes to that right now.
 
Back
Top