Is Leagues In Resturants/Bars Worth It For The Establishment?

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Leagues are certainly important. We have them at Freezer's Monday through Thursday. It is one piece of the puzzle though. There are other things you need to have to be successful. Parties and events, UFC and sporting events, Sunday football, dart leagues, and so on. We would never do leagues on Friday and Saturday as we simply were too busy. Same for tournaments, small ones early would be okay but you don't want them running into your weekend nights. I would try to have them on a slower Sunday. Pool players would not even come on those weekend nights because we would have a waiting list on those nights with recreational players filling nearly 30 tables. Definitely have leagues and tournaments on your slower nights. Maybe a poker night which is legal most places if you don't take any monies and people play tournament style with chips, check your local laws of course.

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
Appreciate the comments.

I'm going to try talking some sense into the owner. Without lights, he may as well haul those tables right back out because he won't attract enough teams to see the value. I'm already hearing groaning from teams about playing us there. Who knows though, no lights could work to our benefit. We will get used to it, and the other teams will be sharked...

I play on Monday and Thursday and both teams have made this their home bar, at least during the owners "trial period"... But that's only 2 teams. Ideally, it would be home to 2 teams per night. This way, when one team is away, the other is at home, and vice versa. This is basically how the other venues work and they cash in with leagues every night M-TH.

To be cont'd...

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flowers on the tables would really be unacceptable for any game a league might play.

WTF are they going to do when a vase tips over and spills?

Stupidest idea ever...some people, sheesh/ wtf?

One sports bar in our city hosts ‘Meet Up‘ pool leagues on weekday Afternoons and Midweek evenings. 4 tables...at least 50 attending. Owner puts a couple of vases of flowers on the tables, bathrooms are squeaky clean. And he welcomes everyone. My wife and her friends feel comfortable and look forward to the outing. It’s the only place she will linger later with a second glass of wine chatting away.

Even better For the bar, many now go to play pool there when not league hours.

There are good bar owners but many are just not good at expanding their clientele. It’s not just about getting a couple dozen into your bar but getting a few to return with friends etc.

It’s the same with dance clubs, etc. Smart owners host vents not to necessarily make a profit but to expose potential patrons to the site. People return to what is familiar.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flowers on the tables would really be unacceptable for any game a league might play.

WTF are they going to do when a vase tips over and spills?

Stupidest idea ever...some people, sheesh/ wtf?

Tables where the ladies like to sit.

The demographic is 60% female and age group age 45 To 75. Most Meet Up league members professionals or similar or retirees.

In other words...money.

The other big sport in the sports bar...quality indoor golf putting course. Again upscale demographic. Money.

The way to not be successful in the hospitality industry...chase the lowest Spending denominator...males out to play pool instead of mixed groups out to socialize by playing pool.

You want people returning to your club or bar. That is by making sure ‘she’ wants to return onSaturday night to a dance or whatever. No bar is going to make money By setting up to accomadate 25 guys who want to play pool and drink a beer or 2.

Last edited:

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Have some kind of drink minimum.
I can't believe how cheap some players can be.
Last tournament I went to wife said: "Are you gonna eat breakfast first?"
I said nope. I bought breakfast and lunch at the pool room.
I would've got dinner too but my ride was leaving and we were both knocked out lol.
Gotta spend some $$!
*I had been there before and knew they had good food too.
Bluegrass Billiards in NE Philly.
Btw Back open I hear!