Is Now the right time to open a pool hall

Bigdaddi44

Registered
I'm selling a fully built room for 45k with 6 diamond 9s, 2 GC 3s, 5 barbox, a Chinese 8 ball table and 5x10 billiards table.....all you get are tire kickers and broker ass players.

Anybody thinks running a room is easy....it's not. Add in covid shutdowns and it just gets better.
Where are you located?

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
North of Syracuse....real pool almost gone here.
Will be dead once I'm closed in a couple weeks.
This is very sad. I got to witness the summer of sleepless nights you went through while holding down a full time job to make that pool room what it was. I'm sorry it isn't working out, B.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is very sad. I got to witness the summer of sleepless nights you went through while holding down a full time job to make that pool room what it was. I'm sorry it isn't working out, B.
7 nights a week til 1215 at night while working full time on site at 730am....after rebuilding a rolm from ashes. It's takes that kind of dedication.

Enemies of real pool:
National Leagues
Players who are short sighted and that aren't loyal.

dendweller

7 nights a week til 1215 at night while working full time on site at 730am....after rebuilding a rolm from ashes. It's takes that kind of dedication.

Enemies of real pool:
National Leagues
Players who are short sighted and that aren't loyal.
around where I am it seems like it's the apa that keep the rooms going. For 10 bucks a night to play I'm not sure how.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't play in it, know they have it 4 or 5 nights a week and the thinking is they don't stay open on us.
Well eventually they will cutoff any new players to play real pool on real tables and the owner will get rid if your 9s.

TwistedTexasStyle

I went to a room in San Antonio called Pockets in Galleria Oaks(fancy newer mall) with 24-8' red cloth tables, food, craft beer and Patron Silver on tap! To get in security outside required everyone to submit to a patdown, but not on re-entry. I won't be back. I do like Banana's Billiards in SA.

I do think when the economy is down people have more time to play pool. The crowds in Austin make me think business will never end unless the NORK's keep their promise and nuke us.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
don't play in it, know they have it 4 or 5 nights a week and the thinking is they don't stay open on us.
10 people per table...6 matches....that's 60 people in their own cars with an impressive 60 in your lot.

Well they pay 3 or 4 bucks a person table time
So you just gave up your barboxes for $180-$240.

These folks often play 2 -3 different leagues a week, so 30 to 45 a week with league fees. So they are often sneaking in PBJ sandwiches and asking for tap water.

With the hourde of players taking tables and oxygen, the public doesn't get in to play when they want and thus makes their eyes wander to another room or maybe they become bowlers.

League is not what it's cracked up to be. Maybe down south where teams are putting down cases of beer on a Tuesday....but that isn't reality in upstate NY.

dendweller

10 people per table...6 matches....that's 60 people in their own cars with an impressive 60 in your lot.

These folks often play 2 -3 different leagues a week, so 30 to 45 a week with league fees. So they are often sneaking in PBJ sandwiches and asking for tap water.

With the hourde of players taking tables and oxygen, the public doesn't get in to play when they want and thus makes their eyes wander to another room or maybe they become bowlers.

League is not what it's cracked up to be. Maybe down south where teams are putting down cases of beer on a Tuesday....but that isn't reality in upstate NY.
I did play in one for a couple months. It was a masters apa deal. A lot of the better players I've known about for years played in it as well. I didn't last because of the hours, week nights out till 11 doesn't fit my old ass life style.
I will tell you that the 10 dollars you paid was treated as pool for the night at that place which made it a pretty sweet deal. A friend of mine who's a good player says he doesn't care for it, but he he does it because he's able to play his match and then gamble some afterwards.
I think there is a little bit of merging between leagues and what you call "real pool" in my area. Sounds like there wasn't up there.

dendweller

Also, the wait people are pretty busy, so I think it's a little different down here. I'm in southern new england

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, the wait people are pretty busy, so I think it's a little different down here. I'm in southern new england
Do you own a room?

Best way to make a million dollars with a pool room....start with 2 million.

ACL

North of Syracuse....real pool almost gone here.
Will be dead once I'm closed in a couple weeks.
Sorry to hear that man. I hope your life improves some without the stress of trying to keep it going.