Is Schmidt's and charlie 626 Legit

Status
Not open for further replies.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yup, the entire world has accepted it other than a few Mosconi nut huggers. Funny, I still think Mosconi was the best that ever was and I have an autographed pic of him by my pool table at home.

Cal Ripken broke Lou Gehrig's record of most consecutive games played, over 14 years playing without missing a game. It takes skill to do it that long without being benched, ever, and you need dedication to keep playing almost every day even in the dog days of summers, playing with numerous bumps and bruises. And you need to be lucky, to never break something or have an injury serious enough to keep you out of the line up. And mental toughness as you closed in on the record.

Cal breaking the record did NOT diminish Gehrig's career in the least. And nobody, not Cal himself, will tell you he was a better player than Gehrig. And I'd better a million bucks JS does not believe himself better or even equal to Mosconi. So, not really sure what the concern is.

Most sports cherish their world records, ensuring their legitimacy and in appropriate cases measuring them to the nano-second.

But pool, not so much. You set up a table so gaffed-up it's not even part of the regular pool room inventory and then quickly disassemble it after the record and cart it away. And you make sure the conditions are so ideal they don't resemble anything else anywhere in the sport. You have the record certified by two guys at your governing body who, by all reports, don't even play the game, so that "it's official." And then you make sure to never let the unedited video leave your safety deposit box.

Other sports know better:

Lou Figueroa

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Sorry, I think u found that schmidty shit in ur shine box and u just keep wiping it all over urself. Mine is still full of silver coin of the realm earned by a working boy. Had ur hero thrown chalk at radar, he would have immediately taken his ass whupping. Lessons learned hard are lessons learned well.
Broke asses like urself, spend it all on shrines to themselves, like ur Brunswick themed home room, so u don’t get out into the real pool world and see it for what it is.
I'll gladly match bank accounts with you if that suddenly has any bearing at all to this discussion.

I've been in pool rooms, full of "back in my day" storytellers sipping free ice water...no thanks.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Most sports cherish their world records, ensuring their legitimacy and in appropriate cases measuring them to the nano-second.

But pool, not so much. You set up a table so gaffed-up it's not even part of the regular pool room inventory and then quickly disassemble it after the record and cart it away. And you make sure the conditions are so ideal they don't resemble anything else anywhere in the sport. You have the record certified by two guys at your governing body who, by all reports, don't even play the game, so that "it's official." And then you make sure to never let the unedited video leave your safety deposit box.

Other sports know better:

Lou Figueroa
I guess you missed the entire baseball steroid thingy? Or, the fact, that every professional baseball field in existence is of different dimensions. Or that the wind, weather (cold or hot) and altitude affect baseballs. Nothing is perfect. And for the record, most of the guys working for the baseball HOF are NOT baseball players, and quite possibly some of them never played the game.

And your right, folks hold their records "dear". Pool is a fringe sport played by folks that love the game. How much time, money and effort should go into documenting a record to satisfy everyone, when almost nobody even knows that pool is a sport ? Heck, even some pool players call it a game and not a sport.

Again, we can argue till the cows come home, it's not going to change a thing. It just is not. I'm sure there are still a few pissed off fans of Gehrig's when Cal broke the record. There were some conspiracies too. One night, the stadium lights went out, and folks believed that Cal could not play and it was done intentionally to help Cal break the record. The reason he could not play was so outrageous, it was either real or complete bull shit.

Some said he only played the first few innings of a couple of games, over the course of 14 years, because he was too beat up to play the entire game and would start the game but quickly come out.

They argued too, I remember it still. The record still stands and always will. MLB spoke and it was official. The BCA is the best we have in this fringe sport. I'm sure folks argue over Badminton all the time about records too ;) lol

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
U and twelve others do not represent ‘the whole world’. Get a f’ing job. U’ve carried js boots far enough. Sell him some chalk or give it to him, it doesn’t matter, he’s just going to throw it away with his unedited video, so he can say he threw something of value away. Been there, done that.
haha. I don't represent anyone. I don't speak for billiards. But, when the BCA speaks up, Billiards Digest and every other billiard publication, including every living HOF billiard player player, and every witness that saw the video, I'd say that is a lot stronger them some nitwit on the internet that nobody ever heard of ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Ripken played for all to witness as the drama happened. Not hidden away from the public view. You, maybe not you, but anyone else can view it and see parts of it anytime they wish to. Where’s your hero’s track record? Still hidden and yet to be revealed unedited. Don’t give a shit WHO says they have seen it.
And no, I didn't see Ripken's games, it was over a span of 14 years, and they intentionally blocked out Oriole games in Chicago. The MLB knew they could never sneak Cal's treachery by my prying eyes. I feel so used now that I didn't do more to out this fraud on the baseball world.

Last edited:

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Sorry Butch, I am still in MY day. Be more than glad to demonstrate real skill for ur bankroll. Might even be enticed to come to the northland to get some of it.
Still driving your Dodge "The Question" I see. Nobody asked about your alleged pool prowess and Greyhound won't get you anywhere near me. Bit off more than you could chew when it comes to money didn't you?

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Opps, thought u were with hasteytj
Careful- you’re going off again.
Apply now:
71AFE90A-597F-493F-A649-8DEA68C86D2A.jpeg

gerryf

I believe Mosconi said he thought he'd run over 600 four times.

Several of the old-time players also had many high runs. Then of course there was Babe Cranfield's 768.

Lou Figueroa
I did find an old record list. It doesn't have all of John Schmidt's 400+ runs.

Interesting that Earl, Thorsten, are all up in that bracket, and if this list were updated today, there would undoubtedly be a lot more.

It doesn't have the 351 claimed by Danny Harriman, and i'm sure there are others.

So even ignoring the records set back 70 years ago, John Schmidt is apparently the most prominent American straight pool player as advertised.

500 Plus
Willie Mosconi
Min-Wai Chin
500+
400 Plus
Thomas Engert
Gene Nagy
Dallas West
Ray Martin
Allen Hopkins
Thorsten Hohmann
Earl Strickland