Is the market flooded with cues

ron3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With the popularity of billiards declining,and all the new builders and production cues for sale, seems like there are to many cues and not enough buyers, or am I wrong, comments please!
 
Just makes you be even more particular. Everyone wants to be like Mike....

Skins -------- insert your "Mike" here ___________
 
You can only use one and there not disposible or firewood, so they all hang around for years. Johnnyt
 
People have figured out what they pay for 'em isn't what they can sell 'em for. There is a finite supply of buyers, which might be decreasing, and the amount of cues exceeds that number.
 
With the popularity of billiards declining,and all the new builders and production cues for sale, seems like there are to many cues and not enough buyers, or am I wrong, comments please!

How do you define "Market"?

There has always been a zillion cues to buy. If you go in most any pool rooms or bar leagues you may see one of two cues from custom cue makers. The rest come from production cue companies with an unlimited stock of cues.

The idea of buying a cue as an investment may have cooled and people are becoming more practical. Honestly, higher end cues have always been hard to sell. Most of the problem with selling cues is people having an illusion they are worth more then they are.

I just sold a gun I have been trying to sell for a while. When I mentioned to a friend I had sold the gun he asked me what I got for it. When I told him he threw up his hands like I was crazy.

The fact is, you have things like Gunbroker.com and others where the average person can research prices and they are not dumb. They know what to offer and what the guns are really worth.

It is the same with cues, they are not a mystery and people have discovered they can live without a high end cue. I work on cues all the time and all I ever see is production cues even from good players. The high end novelty has worn off maybe.

There are a lot of good production cues out there and I am sorry, many of the newer no name cue makers may be having a problem selling cues and forget the after market for a no name cue. Few things you will ever own will retain their original value or ever go up in value.

There is no problem selling a cue but you have to be realistic about it's actually value. Like everything, you need a " Willing seller and a Willing buyer".
 
Last edited:
How do you define "Market"?

There has always been a zillion cues to buy. If you go in most any pool rooms or bar leagues you may see one of two cues from custom cue makers. The rest come from production cue companies with an unlimited stock of cues.

The idea of buying a cue as an investment may have cooled and people are becoming more practical. Honestly, higher end cues have always been hard to sell. Most of the problem with selling cues is people having an illusion they are worth more then they are.

I just sold a gun I have been trying to sell for a while. When I mentioned to a friend I had sold the gun he asked me what I got for it. When I told him he threw up his hands like I was crazy.

The fact is, you have things like Gunbroker.com and others where the average person can research prices and they are not dumb. They know what to offer and what the guns are really worth.

It is the same with cues, they are not a mystery and people have discovered they can live without a high end cue. I work on cues all the time and all I ever see is production cues even from good players. The high end novelty has worn off maybe.

There are a lot of good production cues out there and I am sorry, many of the newer no name cue makers may be having a problem selling cues and forget the after market for a no name cue. Few things you will ever own will retain their original value or ever go up in value.

There is no problem selling a cue but you have to be realistic about it's actually value. Like everything, you need a " Willing seller and a Willing buyer".

Yeah well said. There's always a market for the best of any collectible. The 1916D Mercury dime will always be worth alot, similar to Scruggs, Black Boars, etc. But it does seem like the prevalence of playing with decent production cues and the billiard industry slide in general has worsened the overall market for custom cues. Any growth in the sport would turn that around, but these days, doesn't look good.
 
Yes, the market is flooded. More cues than players. People are still looking to buy more thankfully.

Larry
 
I think the CNC made chinese cues have also hurt , it really is hard for domestic production to compete due to cheap labor, and using traditional American names on imports,
 
Seems allot of sellers don't realize this and continue to bump the cues they have been trying to off for months....or years for what they paid too much for to begin with.

God Bless the our Veterans,
 
Back
Top