Is the U.S. Open 9-Ball Tournament tougher today because of Worldwide competition?

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think that the Worldwide competition,and the evolution of the game to include Kicking and Jumping,made it harder to win today?

molinatx4206

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the Taiwanese and phillippino monsters missing from the US open, I'd argue that the China/Japan open along with Qatar are much more difficult fields to navigate through. Shane is no doubt the best American player at this point and a threat in any tournament he enters but I think his lack of success abroad proves my point.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the Taiwanese and phillippino monsters missing from the US open, I'd argue that the China/Japan open along with Qatar are much more difficult fields to navigate through. Shane is no doubt the best American player at this point and a threat in any tournament he enters but I think his lack of success abroad proves my point.

Yeah Dennis Orcullo is a short stop, Bustamante is a 5 APA, Alex Pagulyan, Kiamco, and Reyes are totally dead money in every tournament :thumbup:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Yeah Dennis Orcullo is a short stop, Bustamante is a 5 APA, Alex Pagulyan, Kiamco, and Reyes are totally dead money in every tournament :thumbup:

Bwahahaha......

I was wondering about the lack of philipino monsters in this tourney :p

molinatx4206

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Biado, De Luna, Ignacio, Gamez, bubwit chua,LVC..Ko brothers, yu lung Chang, Chang jun Lin...I never said the players you mentioned were dead money but fields abroad are typically much tougher....

BMW

Banned
Well it is true that a lot of top Taiwanese players did not play such as the KO brothers and also many top Chinese players. Still it was a very strong field and Shane did well to win his 3rd US Open in a row. Congrats again Shane.

markgw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well it is true that a lot of top Taiwanese players did not play such as the KO brothers and also many top Chinese players. Still it was a very strong field and Shane did well to win his 3rd US Open in a row. Congrats again Shane.

The pool I witnessed which was everyday of the entire tournament, was really strong. So many players played .900 plus, it was unreal!! BTW this was The 39 TH US Open 9 Ball Championship's and all pro's from around the world are allowed to play.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Biado, De Luna, Ignacio, Gamez, bubwit chua,LVC..Ko brothers, yu lung Chang, Chang jun Lin...I never said the players you mentioned were dead money but fields abroad are typically much tougher....

Do those guys play in other big worldwide events other than Qatar and China? I mean events that the majority of the players most consider the best in the world play in? (SVB, Appleton, Hohman, Orcullo, etc)

Those guys may very well be as good or better than the ones we know about. But if they don't participate, how can the public be expected to consider them when discussing "the best"?

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member

agree a field with Ko- Fu- Kenitsi and a lot of china,japanese and taiwanese players is another story;)

BMW

Banned
Not really, they told him many times when he came to China and Europe. Shane does well at home, but not so well in China or Europe

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would you absolutely place Shane Number One in American 9-Ball and 10-Ball,overall? I think that there are more Great Players coming from Europe and Asia. In One-Pocket ,8-Ball(not Bar Box),and Straight Pool,where do you rank Shane?

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree!!!!

Also, I am talking about stronger than most American players. Shane is probably one exception to the rule.

Your right, SVB is the man here by a long shot. He is a power player worldwide, but as you said there are other equally strong players in other countries, Europe, China, Japan and of course the Philippines.

I wish there were 5 or 6 players in the USA that could challenge SVB, think about where his game would go then and he would take the whole group right up the ladder with him because of the competitive rivalry.

It might be coming soon, there are guys with lots of talent, showing lots of promise

chevybob20

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The world championship tournaments are alternating break. It is the great equalizer. It takes away the break advantage which Shane has earned through countless hours of practice and it also takes away the ability to string packages together. This is huge when you have a top gear and giagantic break like Shanes. I dont think Shane would have won last night in the same comeback fashion if it was alternating breaks. He came from 3 games down to go up 3 games. That's excitement.

In this format, Shane is the favorite. In alternating break format, anyone in the top ten has an equal shot, it's a crap shoot.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Do those guys play in other big worldwide events other than Qatar and China? I mean events that the majority of the players most consider the best in the world play in? (SVB, Appleton, Hohman, Orcullo, etc)

Those guys may very well be as good or better than the ones we know about. But if they don't participate, how can the public be expected to consider them when discussing "the best"?

they do. all mentioned were both in this year's World 9-ball (except for Ignacio) and China Open. in fact, they will all be in this year's Japan Open (Nov 19-24). all mentioned also participated in last years China Open, Japan Open and w9b (again except for Ignacio). here's the question: will shane be participating this November in WPA's Japan Open?

Last edited:

maestro de pool

Focus Concetration Nerves
Silver Member
if anyone here believe that shane is like Earl or better then he must put Shane in a money game at Taiwan ,Philippines or Japan with his pocket or backer money to see what and who grap the cheese!!!!!

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member

Well I believe those players were in the field at the World Cup that Feijen won a short time back and I believe Feijen was in this field at the US Open, where did he finish? You can ask him, he's still over in the corner crying about Shane's break.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
they do. all mentioned were both in this year's World 9-ball (except for Ignacio) and China Open. in fact, they will all be in this year's Japan Open (Nov 19-24). all mentioned also participated in last years China Open, Japan Open and w9b (again except for Ignacio). here's the question: will shane be participating this November in WPA's Japan Open?

Let's rephrase then.... Do any of those players play with the rest of the world anywhere else but Qatar, China and Japan? Meaning that the rest of the world has to come to them, but they don't leave their part of the world...

Shane, Appleton, Niels, Thosten, Orcullo... Those top guys play everywhere. Therefore, they are the standard.

There may very well be "monsters" that we never hear about, but whose fault is that? Not the guys I mentioned. They should very well be considered the best on the world, because they play everyone and everywhere in the world.