Is there a way to determine the value of a cue?

smahalko

Hammer Time!
Silver Member
So the other night I ran into someone who had a really nice looking cue and when I asked about it, he told me
he was interested in selling it. For the LIFE of me I can't remember the name of the cue but, I think it started
with an "M" or a "W" ( I know vague enough! ).
Because I remember it had a small signature on it. It had no wrap and some pretty nice inlays which he didn't
remember what the inlays were in it. He said he got it for $1500 and was selling it for $500 ( with two shafts ).
I was immediately suspicious of the large drop from the original price ( as he didn't look like he was desperate
for the money ).

I liked the cue but, and not that I had that kind of money on me...I 'm not sure about how to figure out a value
for a cue "on the spot" and thought some of you might have some tips
or advice for me.

Here's a rough sketch of the cue:
photocopy.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Hoppe

Sawdust maker
Silver Member
Recent sales of similar items is how you estimate the value of about anything. If you don't know what kind of cue it is, that's going to make it tough. Pool cues typically sell from $50 to $5,000. To narrow that range, find out exactly what the guy is selling and what condition it's in, then search the Wanted/For Sale section, or ask someone experienced in cue sales of the brand/maker in question.

smahalko

Hammer Time!
Silver Member
I was also concerned that since the price was so cheap that I didn't but a cue that was stolen!
I had one stolen from me and each time I go to a new place I always look around for it. lol

I was also interested to see if anyone might know the "style" of the cue maker.

smahalko

Hammer Time!
Silver Member
Does anyone know what the term of that kind of inlay is ( example: full butt inlay, triple section inlays... etc )?
I'm still trying to find more information on this cue.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO

Two main ways:

1) Pay for an expert written appraisal. (Many cues will simply not be worth this trouble or expense, hardly ever done as far as I know.)

2) Sell it. The sale price will determine the value.

Beyond that the matter gets more complex.

Cue makers will look at technical matters of construction. Collectors will look at collectability and dealers will look at profit margin. Players will look at a variety of things but hopefully, usually, how it plays.

Then there are insurance values....another can of worms.

I have seen cues sell for little that when identified as having been made by a certain individual skyrocketed in value....yet they were still the same cues.

I have been told that certain cues are worth a few dollars yet they sell for $100-$200 or more easily on the open market. I have also seen "museum" cues that were riddled with amateurish flaws yet worth tens of thousands.....

I get asked about such things as value a lot because I participate in the forum a lot, but I am far from any kind of an expert. For that reason I generally stay away from the value issue. People PM me all the time. I don't mind at all, I dig the contact...but I simply am not qualified to value a cue.

What I will say is that the information provided and the drawing really give zero indication of the value IMHO. Further, the question of giving any kind of name to the construction or style based on the drawing or description is really impossible. One might say it is a fancy wrapless cue as was said....but even that might be going out on a limb.

Personally, I would love to see pics of the cue. I get geeked over cue pics.... :D

Last edited:

Xnotedgeanymore

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judging from the picture, the forearm points don't line up with the buttsleeve points... :smile:

As has been mentioned, without at least a makers name or a picture it is pretty much impossible to tell what anything is worth.

smahalko

Hammer Time!
Silver Member
Judging from the picture, the forearm points don't line up with the buttsleeve points... :smile:

FULL_O17.gif
Yeah, my sketch doesn't quite do the cue justice! lol

I'm trying to look into getting some more info on this cue. The guy selling it was, hmmm, well I guess I "won't say anything at all."
But to get the cue, I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd say if there is nothing in particular about the cue that establishes value of some sort, such as ivory, a known cuemakers signature, signature work known to be only by certain respected makers (good luck with that one anymore), one or more aftermarket identifiable shafts, etc,,,,,then it has no real value, especially at $500. If it does have any of those features, then offer only whatever you determine their relative value to be,,,,anything else is a gamble.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A $1500 retail cue in decent used condition from a non-top cuemaker will bring average $750. So his $500 may seem really low, but it is 2/3rd of full used retail. So what I would call that is a good deal instead of paying full used retail. What I just posted also takes everything you were told about the orginal price as being true.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A $1500 retail cue in decent used condition from a non-top cuemaker will bring average $750. So his $500 may seem really low, but it is 2/3rd of full used retail. So what I would call that is a good deal instead of paying full used retail. What I just posted also takes everything you were told about the orginal price as being true.

I agree Chris,,,,,,,but what do you use to establish that it actually was a $1500 cue to start with,,,,,,,that was my point,,,,,,,kind of only place value on what you know to have value in a case like this.

Last edited:

smahalko

Hammer Time!
Silver Member
Yeah it's even harder ( if not impossible ) with out the name of the cue manufacturer/maker.
I just remember looking a few posts where someone showed a photo and they got all kinds
of people saying it looked like "this person's cue" or "that person's cue."
So I thought I'd take a shot at it too.

I'll get some info on this cue and let ( who cares ) know what I found out.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree Chris,,,,,,,but what do you use to establish that it actually was a $1500 cue to start with,,,,,,,that was my point,,,,,,,kind of only place value on what you know to have value in a case like this.

First you 100% have to know who made it. Then you look in the blue book of pool cues for starters. And search AZ threads for selling prices of some of his cues.

smahalko

Hammer Time!
Silver Member
Just an update...

So I actually ran into the player who was selling that cue. Only problem was I played him in a league game and won
before I had a chance to ask him about it. So I'll have to ask another time.