Is there any buyer protection when sending a bank check for a pool cue?

cueenvy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys who sell can get screwed too on chargeback when buyers say the item never arrived or arrived damaged...there is risk on both sides of the sale. Fortunately, I have never been burned as a buyer or seller.

If you send a check to a person you don't know it's foolhardy.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely no cue is worth that.
Walk away or do "cash versus cue" and get it directly at his place.

Sorry.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
while I did say in my earlier post that being careful buying online is very important, and it sure is, there is also a point where I would let my guard down just a little.

If an az member was requiring a certified check be sent rather than paypal or some other methods, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I would consider that he had 5 positive itraders and was here on az for a while. That along with the fact that the cue is just $150.

My first thought when I saw justin post the price was that if the seller was a scammer, he's aiming real low. This price def makes it much less likely for it to be a swindle attempt.

Now knowing the price is $150, escrow wouldn't make much sense since the extra shipping would represent more than 10% of the cue value.

I'm trying to decide if I was the seller and saw this thread would I be pissed off.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
I would send the check if I were you.

If you get the cue that is awesome because you really want it.

If you get ripped off and don't get the cue that is even better because you get to come onto AZB and start a thread whining about how you got ripped off and the world sucks and "why does this stuff always happen to me". Seems like a perfect setup for the perfect BS type of thread you spew nonstop on this forum.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would send the check if I were you.

If you get the cue that is awesome because you really want it.

If you get ripped off and don't get the cue that is even better because you get to come onto AZB and start a thread whining about how you got ripped off and the world sucks and "why does this stuff always happen to me". Seems like a perfect setup for the perfect BS type of thread you spew nonstop on this forum.

Lol, be nice, lol

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
he probably is scared of getting ripped off as much as you are. and doesnt know other ways to get paid securely.

talk to him on the phone and get some personal info.

generally dont do business first with anyone new here or without some i trader or references. make them send out first. they dont trust you but you must trust them?

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
he probably is scared of getting ripped off as much as you are. and doesnt know other ways to get paid securely.

talk to him on the phone and get some personal info.

generally dont do business first with anyone new here or without some i trader or references. make them send out first. they dont trust you but you must trust them?

I took a chance on a guy in Florida on a cue I found on Craigslist. Didn't have PayPal, and he wasn't going to create an account for one sale.

After talking with him and verifying his address and phone number I felt okay and sent a check. Got an old Huebler at a very good price. Suppose I could have gotten burned but I took a chance.

Here on AZ I've had a member send me a cue, saying that if I liked it to send a check, if not then send the cue back.

Attachments

• IMG_20151128_103550.jpg
    IMG_20151128_103550.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 122

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
This is never talked about. The seller is ALWAYS the one with the least amount of protection, 95% of the time.
Even accepting a bank check, doesn't stop the buyer from saying any of the aforementioned things. Also, it sounds like an interstate purchase which means the buyer can also file a more serious fraud claim for any reason. So he does have protection even with a check.
Go escrow though, otherwise it sounds like there will be another 20 page he said she said thread on the horizon.

JV

Guys who sell can get screwed too on chargeback when buyers say the item never arrived or arrived damaged...there is risk on both sides of the sale. Fortunately, I have never been burned as a buyer or seller.

If you send a check to a person you don't know it's foolhardy.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, and the thing that really worries me is that I think that the seller probably does have a paypal account. I see that he has received a feedback from a seller in Taipei City(Taiwan). Maybe that deal was done by bank wire transfer, but this just makes me think that he does have a paypal account. I guess I have found my answer though. There is no buyer protection to be had by mailing a Certified Check, and I am just too poor to take that risk (no matter how good the deal is).

Thanks for your replies.

if it sounds toog good to be true
it isnt true
DONT BUY IT
and treat yourself to a milkshake for the money you did not lose.....:smile: