Is there any interest in full splice jig?

slim123

Two cases of beer ... now you got my attention!
That would last me a weekend and then some.

Many times someone has called for a re-tip and asked "how much?"
Many times I have said $10 or bring a 6 pack of cold Shinner Bock!

Some of my favorite things are doing cue work, playing pool, and fishing.
Drinking a cold beer seems to go with all of them very well. (in moderation)
You forgot the part about sitting around telling stories and lies lol

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Does anyone think they would be interested in a full splice jig that attaches to a bandsaw and runs on linear rails? It would be fully adjustable and you'd be able to shim it to perfection the way I m designing mine right now. If there is enough interest I might offer them to the public but I am ensuring this is set up perfectly and is fully operational before I do so. I have been working on one for a while now but work keeps getting in the way, but it's very close.
The handles are easy to make a few different ways. So I am doubtful on much of a market for the handle side of things. Build a jig to cut the the forearm with sharp edges on the bottom side and a jig to do the same to your veneers and you will have a seller.

slim123

The handles are easy to make a few different ways. So I am doubtful on much of a market for the handle side of things. Build a jig to cut the the forearm with sharp edges on the bottom side and a jig to do the same to your veneers and you will have a seller.
i just realized this was an old post that someon dug up. Lee is in the hospital and says he didn't post anything recently

a few of us didn't read the date of the original post haha got me too

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i just realized this was an old post that someon dug up. Lee is in the hospital and says he didn't post anything recently

a few of us didn't read the date of the original post haha got me too
I knew it was an old thread. But my post was to answer a new post about a new jig.

slim123

Does anyone think they would be interested in a full splice jig that attaches to a bandsaw and runs on linear rails? It would be fully adjustable and you'd be able to shim it to perfection the way I m designing mine right now. If there is enough interest I might offer them to the public but I am ensuring this is set up perfectly and is fully operational before I do so. I have been working on one for a while now but work keeps getting in the way, but it's very close.
Eventhough you are making this with linear rails a band saws blade has quite a bit of deflection and , depending on the pace or movment thru the band saw , there could be a lot of confounding variables involved and anyone and everyone would come out with a different final product

slim123

You're telling a blank maker something he doesn't know?
I would assume his band saw and blade are resaw quality
Maybe, i should have directed my post as a question. I was looking for the answer as to how it could be done.
What is resaw qualty.
Joey you are only on here to criticize others , why don't you elaborate and tell us more mr cuemaker You seem to be the only person here on this site that thinks he knows anything

slim123

You should have.
Google it.
I didn't criticize or question the jig and full splice maker.
You did. And we haven't seen any of your cues.
You criticized me and you have a reputation for citicizing everyone here with exception of those in your little fan club We are all curious, did you wake up one day and become a cue maker. You have given bad advice here to a few, because you are afraid someone might be smart enough to make a better cue than you? I work on cues and make cues as a hobby not my full time job, i just enjoy it as an outlet
Save your comments for your fans, i'm not one of them

Last edited:

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Welcome to the fan club.
You don't need advice.
You need to find out stuff by trying.
I couldn't care less if you're the next SW.
If you think I give advice to mislead people, you're more lost than I thought.
I've sold jigs and helped more people than you will ever come close to doing. Ever.
Save your comments to your one fan. Yourself.
At the bottom of this post there are four Attachments. I can't open them, so what is their purpose? It looks as though they link to other conversations involving Slim and Joey.

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're telling a blank maker something he doesn't know?
I would assume his band saw and blade are resaw quality

"What is resaw quality?" seems like a question deserving a better answer than "Google it". I had the same question, and I did Google it. Learned that my saw with aftermarket Carter guides guides above and beneath the table, with Woodslicer blades, should be good, but my saw cuts at an angle, nonetheless - which I believe was the point slim123 was trying to make. I'm hoping Joey can clear this up, and I can make my saw "resaw quality".

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
"What is resaw quality?" seems like a question deserving a better answer than "Google it". I had the same question, and I did Google it. Learned that my saw with aftermarket Carter guides guides above and beneath the table, with Woodslicer blades, should be good, but my saw cuts at an angle, nonetheless - which I believe was the point slim123 was trying to make. I'm hoping Joey can clear this up, and I can make my saw "resaw quality".
Blade is dull....wrong TPI for the type of wood and thickness you're cutting. These are 2 quick reasons I can think of that would give poor quality results.
Feeding too fast might be another.
But there could a few other culprits that would cause this. Hard to tell without standing at your saw.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
You criticized me and you have a reputation for citicizing everyone here with exception of those in your little fan club We are all curious, did you wake up one day and become a cue maker. You have given bad advice here to a few, because you are afraid someone might be smart enough to make a better cue than you? I work on cues and make cues as a hobby not my full time job, i just enjoy it as an outlet
Save your comments for your fans, i'm not one of them
He gave 'bad advice' or did he give advice to people that did not have the basic knowledge to understand the actual advice? I've been here for 19 yrs, and Joey has been spot on the whole time.......I have NEVER seen anything he wrote to be bad advice. He has joked around at times, (usually april 1st) but I have not seen him intentionally give bad advice. I will say he has never spoon fed people either, he give enough info, that if one has drive/passon, they then figure things out. I believe when spoon fed, people take the lazy approach and do shitty work and think they conquered the mountain! One needs to do and try, many times sometimes, before some of the advice actually makes sense. I have learned a lot from Joey, and many others that used to hang here.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
All one has to do is actually google resawing.....LOTS of info, as to how to setup a good bandsaw for resawing...... takes time and some money for parts but....look up resawing guitar veneers.....again.... lots of info. When doing fullsplice blanks.....this info is important

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All one has to do is actually google resawing.....LOTS of info, as to how to setup a good bandsaw for resawing...... takes time and some money for parts but....look up resawing guitar veneers.....again.... lots of info. When doing fullsplice blanks.....this info is important
Really Dave? I said I did google it and you respond I should "actually google it", implying the contrary? You're too full of yourself. Since you're so knowledgeable, why don't you answer the question "What is resaw quality"? Notice Barrenbruggen tried to be helpful, tried to contribute useful information to the thread; you just gave a chiding, condescending non answer. FYI, I've cut and turned hundreds of stepped, full length coring dowels and shafts from 6/4 and 8/4 lumber. And, Dave, I'm sure I've spent as much time as you studying tooth count, tooth style, feed speed, band saw set up etc, and watched/read articles/videos by seemingly knowledgeable bandsaw operators explaining how they align the fence to compensate for drift. Dave, you've always been a mouth; and you offended me long ago with a similar arrogant reply. So, since your bandsaw is apparently "resaw quality", why don't you share some meaningful information about that. What type of bandsaw do you have, and do you need to align your fence to compensate for drift? Mine is a lowly 14" Delta modified with Carter tooless guides, and a one horse variable speed DC motor and controller. I've spent a lot of time tinkering with it and never have been able to get it to cut straight, despite using the best blades etc. These are all serious questions, Dave, posted in "Ask the Cue Maker". Despite your apparent belief you're a great cue maker, you're doing a disservice to the forum IMO.

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch! I can feel the love all the way to IA. Am not in anyone’s fan club. Thanks to Dave,Joey,Dave,Chris and many other cue makers I now shoot with a $25,000 cue! When I get around to finishing another one I will have two $12,500 cues. No one talks about the most expensive aspect of cue building. Time! I hope you have a lot of it. I thought I did. Thank you for the advice on the motor for my UV booth Dave. I will send you pics of it. Had planned on sharing on AZ. to give back for the help I have received. Not sure I want to anymore. Can’t put a $ value on the enjoyment so I don’t include it in value of cue. Relax gentlemen. It’s all good.

shankster8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ouch! I can feel the love all the way to IA. Am not in anyone’s fan club. Thanks to Dave,Joey,Dave,Chris and many other cue makers I now shoot with a $25,000 cue! When I get around to finishing another one I will have two $12,500 cues. No one talks about the most expensive aspect of cue building. Time! I hope you have a lot of it. I thought I did. Thank you for the advice on the motor for my UV booth Dave. I will send you pics of it. Had planned on sharing on AZ. to give back for the help I have received. Not sure I want to anymore. Can’t put a $ value on the enjoyment so I don’t include it in value of cue. Relax gentlemen. It’s all good.
Trying to figure out the purpose of your post. Some of us were trying to pin down the term "resaw quality" and you don't even address that. You say you're not in any fanclub. That's cool, neither am I, and I also appreciate the input of most cue makers, including those you are thanking. Sometimes, however, even great cuemakers put their foot in their mouth, get overwhelmed by their ego, or look down on another members they consider less accomplished. Sometimes they get called out for that; generally they don't and arrogance can result. Your comment "Had planned on sharing on AZ. to give back for the help I have received. Not sure I want to anymore." seems a subtle rebuke of those trying to pin down the nebulous term "resaw quality". You imply they have killed your desire to share information, or thanks, with other members on this forum? Hard to understand the connection, except in light of your being a fanclub member. By the way, your mention of the most expensive aspect of cue building, is apropos, IMO.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Really Dave? I said I did google it and you respond I should "actually google it", implying the contrary? You're too full of yourself. Since you're so knowledgeable, why don't you answer the question "What is resaw quality"? Notice Barrenbruggen tried to be helpful, tried to contribute useful information to the thread; you just gave a chiding, condescending non answer. FYI, I've cut and turned hundreds of stepped, full length coring dowels and shafts from 6/4 and 8/4 lumber. And, Dave, I'm sure I've spent as much time as you studying tooth count, tooth style, feed speed, band saw set up etc, and watched/read articles/videos by seemingly knowledgeable bandsaw operators explaining how they align the fence to compensate for drift. Dave, you've always been a mouth; and you offended me long ago with a similar arrogant reply. So, since your bandsaw is apparently "resaw quality", why don't you share some meaningful information about that. What type of bandsaw do you have, and do you need to align your fence to compensate for drift? Mine is a lowly 14" Delta modified with Carter tooless guides, and a one horse variable speed DC motor and controller. I've spent a lot of time tinkering with it and never have been able to get it to cut straight, despite using the best blades etc. These are all serious questions, Dave, posted in "Ask the Cue Maker". Despite your apparent belief you're a great cue maker, you're doing a disservice to the forum IMO.
If you get off your 'offended' high horse for a minute...re-read the first sentence in my post,
"All one has to do is actually google resawing" If you do that.....just....resawing, NOT 'resawing quality' the results are different, and give more descriptive info to everyones question. Wasn't trying to be arrogant at all. If that offended you, you're too easily offended....grow up! If you don't like my posts, then you can block me, as I have done to others.
Dave

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Very nice job on the booth, LOVE the elevator twist!

Grimm Reaper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies. I started on page one where the cost of a jig was discussed extensively. Next time I will skip all that to get to the important part. Nice word though. Use it often in conversation? Back to my nut hugging 🤗