Is warming up before league match essitenal?

BradE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my first APA League session and so far I'm having a great time. I play on a Wednesday and Monday night team. When I started I won my first 10 matches and moved up to a 5. When I moved up to 5 I won my first couple matches but here recently I've lost my last 6 and now have moved down to a 4. I feel like I haven't had time to warm up and feel like that might be the reason I'm playing poorly. Do we play our best regardless if we have warmed up or not? Or how long should we warm up?

BlackDragon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the older guys don't seem to worry 'bout it but me, I used to warm up in the morning then play in the evening. Worked for me. If you're on, you're on. Some players say they can pot balls in their sleep, so anytime, anyday players can play but for me really I have to warm up four games to find the looseness and speed . Otherwise I'm just a little bit off, which is fine if its par but the league thing, you don't really play so many games so its whatever. A different format. I like to be on for league nights before I arrive at the event. If U warm up there or not, I won't try to show it anyhow, Then flex and relax. Its got to be done earlier, though I know everyones working and doesn't have the time. In that case, you better hit a few games with team before and play your percentages till you know your eye is in, when its your turn up to compete :cool:

Snorks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to warm up for an hour or so. Nothing serious but I want to loosen up my back. I find that if I don't do this (show and go), I have a lot more problems.

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
I suspect your performance doesn't have much to do with warming up, but more to do with being new to league play and your record.

When I started playing league a few years ago (APA as well), I started off strong. Started as a 4, won a bunch of matches, went up to a 5. Then I started losing more. That first loss, after several wins starting out, can really eat at you.

If you won your first several matches, without warming up, then you don't sound like a player who needs to warm up as much as some. I'd say, try and find that mental place you were in, when you were going in and winning week in, week out, and get back there.

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a show and go kinda guy. You either got it or not. It may not work for everyone but it works for me. I roll a few balls(4-5) then play.

Tim.

Last edited:

Tim5000

Silver Member
I notice a pretty big difference if I don't warm up. Maybe it's just mental, but if I don't warm up for at least 10-20 minutes I feel my game is off.

BradE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ScottW said:
I suspect your performance doesn't have much to do with warming up, but more to do with being new to league play and your record.

When I started playing league a few years ago (APA as well), I started off strong. Started as a 4, won a bunch of matches, went up to a 5. Then I started losing more. That first loss, after several wins starting out, can really eat at you.

If you won your first several matches, without warming up, then you don't sound like a player who needs to warm up as much as some. I'd say, try and find that mental place you were in, when you were going in and winning week in, week out, and get back there.

It's probably all mental. When I play with my friend who is a 5 but should really be a 6 I stay with him most of the time. I think I choke when I play against people I'm not comfortable with.

johnnydub

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i believe warm up is essential, unless your playing on a table that you play on everyday, and even then the speed of that table changes depending on the weather, humidy, etc. If you know the speed it can make all the difference between even only over/under run a few balls a match.

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
instead of halfass playing a game with a team mate i used to take 5-6 shots of cross table low outside english for the corner then same on the other side. get my stroke going much faster that way.

these days in league a pendleton & coke does it.

av84fun

Banned
BradE said:
This is my first APA League session and so far I'm having a great time. I play on a Wednesday and Monday night team. When I started I won my first 10 matches and moved up to a 5. When I moved up to 5 I won my first couple matches but here recently I've lost my last 6 and now have moved down to a 4. I feel like I haven't had time to warm up and feel like that might be the reason I'm playing poorly. Do we play our best regardless if we have warmed up or not? Or how long should we warm up?

I would just do what the pros do. I can't imagine any professional athlete who does not warm up prior to a match/game.

Clearly, the better the player the more advantage they would have over lesser players if neither of them warm up. But that only suggests it is even MORE important for the lesser player to warm up.

I would suggest that you take your "advice" from what the vast majority of pros do in every sport under the sun.

Warm up if it is possible to do so.

Regards,
Jim

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everyone is different, but IMO I don't know how it's possible to play your personal best without warming up. At least shooting around for a few minutes, to get the feel of the weight of the cue, stance, etc.

I used to tell guys on my team to make sure that your first shot of the night is not your first shot of the match. I stopped telling them that when I realized they weren't listening.

chilli66

the chilli is back!
Silver Member
Snorks said:
I like to warm up for an hour or so. Nothing serious but I want to loosen up my back. I find that if I don't do this (show and go), I have a lot more problems.

I'm kinda like that. I usually show up an hour before my teammates & start with some Straight Pool & finish up with some "silly" shots, stuff like extreme draw, force follow & shots with a lot of English. After that I'm ready to roll!

I am a little worried about tomorrow's match though. I've spent the last few days putting down wood flooring & my back & legs are killing me! I may have to add an extra beer to the warm-up routine!:D

Tim-n-NM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gregg said:
Everyone is different, but IMO I don't know how it's possible to play your personal best without warming up. At least shooting around for a few minutes, to get the feel of the weight of the cue, stance, etc.

I used to tell guys on my team to make sure that your first shot of the night is not your first shot of the match. I stopped telling them that when I realized they weren't listening.

To each his own. I play on the same table everyday and play on the same table for league. I'm not going to be the world champ anytime soon, so just play and have fun. That is what the league is for. Playing your personal best will not come from warming up a hour earlier than your normal routine. Personal best come when your not expecting it. Let your stroke out and play.
FWIW.

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
I agree with others that it varies from person to person, but I definitely don't play my best unless I've had at least 30 minutes or so of table time for warming up.

-Andrew

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I like to shoot a few practice games with a teammate or two before league matches start. The table at the local bar (seven-footer w/nappy cloth and dirty balls) is very much different than the home table (eight-footer w/ Brunswick Centennial cloth and clean balls), so I like to get a feel for the speed of the cloth and the action of the balls. I normally forego the easy straight-in type shots in these practice games and like to work on shots that require some type of spin on the cue ball.

Maniac

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
Personally, I need to hit 3 or 4 racks of balls at least to give my self a chance in my matches. On the other hand, I have a buddy who will show up, break out an ice cold (literally) cue stick, never hit a ball and play 7 speed all day.

It's all about what works for you.

leehayes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I warm up every chance I can. I find it helps me groove my stroke. I've seen other times when I didn't have a chance to warm up an I played stellar. I personally like the feel of getting in to the game. Just me though.

av84fun

Banned
Mark Avlon said:
For those that warm up before a match, why do you warm up, and how do you warm up?

Excellent questions Mark.

Why?

1. To limber/stretch the muscles and skeletal parts. "Warming up" is a descriptive term since physical exercise increases circulation and actually does warm up the body.

2. To trigger muscle memory...which is a VERY forgetful type of memory.

3. To build confidence.

4. To "calibrate" the table...in terms of cushion liveliness, cloth speed and bank characteristics. While you may not be able to accomplish the entire warm up process on the match table, I always shoot at least one rack on the match table and offer the opponent to do likewise. In fact, my tactic is to intentionally appear at the table a couple of minutes after my name is called and invariably find the opponent shooting balls. So when he is finished, he can hardly deny me the same opportunity.

How?

1. Shoot the "Kinister" down the rail...replace the OB with the CB drill as a limbering up exercise.

2. Reverse that drill and shoot draw shots to check for draw distances which can vary widely for several reasons not the least of which is getting a light (worn) cb.

3. Shoot several EASY cut shots...to build confidence and to test cloth speed and cushion behavior.

4. Shoot a series of EASY shots but play for 2 and 3 rail cb paths...again to test cloth speed.

5. On the actual match table, I start with a series of cross-side/cross corner bank shots from angles that are my own "reference angles" from my own table and adust as necessary for match table cushion rebound characteristics.

6. Finish with 5 diamonds of separation straight in shots (on the diagonal) to verify and LOCK IN my SPF and eye pattern routines.

Except for possibly the bank shots I want to never miss so as to A) build my own confidence and B) cause my opponent to see that...so far...I haven't missed a shot. (-:

I would greatly appreciate your comments/criticisms.

Regards,
Jim