Its George case

Mitch1

Registered
I have an Its George case and the shoulder strap pulled out at the top of the case. it looks like maybe two rivets were attached to the case. Any idea who I can talk to about getting the strap fixed. I can post pics later if needed.

Oh and I tried to take it to a local shoe shop, no help there.

Thanks

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I had a Sterling case repaired at a luggage shop in my small city.
Check to see if you have one also. John Barton helped as they had never seen one like this before, altho they had repaired other Q cases.

It was a matter of pulling the bottom nails and dropping out the bottom of the case and the lining pulled out.

I imagine that JB also knows how to disasemble an Its George if they need to know.

At a seriously long shot, if you can't get another case maker to repair it, I can give you the address to the luggage shop where I live and make sure they do it proper when they get it. It might be a bit more expensive proposition as I live in Canada but you would probably have to ship the case out anyway. It would be approx $25 one way to get the case here. Its an option. The cost of repairing my case was $75 but I had a lot of things redone on it. Yours probably wouldn't be as much.

Last edited:

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Case repair

Almost any good shoe repair shop can do the work.., Any hand bag shop also.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Yes they can and I think they don't know how to remove the lining to get at the rivets so they decline. If they knew how to disasemble the case, it might be a different story.

Thats why I mentioned to get a hold of JB and find out the proper way to remove the lining. Once that is known, replacing the rivets is an every day occurrence for the shoe maker.

Last edited:

SCCues

< Searing Twins
Silver Member
Case repair

I had the same thing happen to an It's George case I owned and my local shoe repair shop fixed it for me. Maybe you find another shop to look at your case?

James

cyrex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
repair

I believe there is a pretty swanky Tandy Leather Factory in Houston. You could also bring it by there and see if someone will repair it for you. :smile:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You have to rip the liner out. It's George glues the liner in at the bottom so you need to forcibly tear it out.

Then you can rivet the strap on. You will need a thick iron bar to use to set the rivets. You will need to anchor this iron bar in such a way that it sticks out from the table so that you can put the case onto it and hammer the rivets without the bar moving.

Something like this is what we built based on a similar one I saw at another case maker's shop.

main.php

Once the rivets are set you can glue the liner back in using Super 77 spray glue. Let it get tacky before you put the liner in. You might need to repair the bottom of the liner first as it may be torn due to the removal. You DO NOT need to reglue it to the bottom.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE THE BOTTOM OFF. REPEAT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TAKE THE BOTTOM OFF.

It's George use pvc glue to bond the parts which effectively welds the bottom cap to the tube. Trying to force it off will generally break the end cap or break the end of the tube or both.

Everything else you or the shop needs to do should be self-explanatory.