Ivory/Python in Canadian News

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since pythons are legal to own, I find it difficult to see why exporting a skin would be illegal. In this country, at least, you can own any kind of skin you want, as long as it's not endangered. Pythons are a nuisance animal in FL.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The caption makes it look like he got busted with all those tusks. Very misleading, not surprising from the media though.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want python skins......just head to Fla where killing them is encouraged as a dangerous,
environmentally harmful invasive species that is foreign to Fla's habitat......kill every friggin'
python, especially reticulated pythons, that is encountered here in the USA & then sell the skins.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt...I'll tell you a not so funny story. One of my students (who was MT state champion many times, VNEA national champion, BCA national champion, and the first female APA 7 in the nation), owned a pet store, and had a 'pet' albino python. One day she had come into the store to open up, and found the python had escaped it's cage (this was an adult animal, about 8-9' long). Upon finding the missing snake, she began to attempt to return the snake to it's cage. It wrapped itself completely around her, and she was temporarily incapacitated. Had a customer not come in and intervened, she might have been squeezed to death. After the close encounter, she decided that the snake was too dangerous, and dispatched it. She took the beautiful skin and was going to have a cue case made from it. She left MT, moved to HI for a few years, and now lives in rural TX. I don't know if she ever had the case made. :D

Scott Lee

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Reminds me of a friend of mine who had a pet Gaboon Viper.
The problem he had was that Gaboon Vipers, by nature, are stealthy and will ambush their prey.
One afternoon it had escaped it's cage and was hiding near a bookcase. Unknowingly, my friend walked by the bookcase and when he did the snake jumped up and bit him right on the Gaboon. :D

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You want python skins......just head to Fla where killing them is encouraged as a dangerous,
environmentally harmful invasive species that is foreign to Fla's habitat......kill every friggin'
python, especially reticulated pythons, that is encountered here in the USA & then sell the skins.

Oh yes. Please come get some.

Cats, dogs, and small children need to be watched very carefully down here. The population of constrictors is out of hand...and those mothers get BIG!

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Since pythons are legal to own, I find it difficult to see why exporting a skin would be illegal. In this country, at least, you can own any kind of skin you want, as long as it's not endangered. Pythons are a nuisance animal in FL.

Scott Lee

If I'm not mistaken, Florida even offers a bounty on Pythons. Consider an invasive species that destroys native wildlife. So, another case of the press being flat wrong while pushing a political agenda.

I noticed the article has a facebook plug in for comments. I don't facebook or tweet, but maybe somebody would like to comment about Pythons?

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I'm not mistaken, Florida even offers a bounty on Pythons. Consider an invasive species that destroys native wildlife. So, another case of the press being flat wrong while pushing a political agenda.

I noticed the article has a facebook plug in for comments. I don't facebook or tweet, but maybe somebody would like to comment about Pythons?

They get big enough to eat the alligators. they are at the top of the food chain here.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
This article talks about charges and sentencing due to illegal export of Ivory tusk and a "leather case made from python"! It even mentions Ernie in the picture caption.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3075295/ontario-company-director-fined-for-illegal-exports-of-ivory-python-skin/?sf42815406=1

Ah, yes, Canucks...I've heard of them critters.
When asked if they were considering sanctions against Ireland and our own Newfoundland...
...for being so biased against snakes that they are actually snake-free....
...the powers that be said "We serpently are."