Jimmy and Pete Fusco

Well, I have a few stories about the Fusco crew. I"m in southeast PA, and if you play pool in this area, the name Fusco is like going to the phillipines and saying Efren!.

I worked at the room called "The Cue Corner" located in Downingtown PA. Each year we had a 14.1 invitational event, and the Fuscos.....Petey and Jimmy were invited.

It was known Jimmy was slightly stronger overall then Petey, and if you were playing 1P or banks....Jimmy Is a MONSTER!

I remember the morning of the Tourney showing up at 6am and, brushing the tables at 6:30 AM thinking....holy crap...the New York and South Philly crew is gonna be here soon, i gotta get this place lookin sweet! There's something I still feel brushing my home table that I used to feel back then.

The Fusco crew would show up about the same time as Allen Hopkins, Danny Barouty, Jack Calovito, Bob Maidhoff or any number of New York killers in their "who gives a crap, I'll put a quick 100 on you" style .

I always wanted the coffee to be fresh, the room to be clean, and the bathrooms somewhat acceptable :).....classy as they were, no one complained.

Standing behind the counter, I got to hand out coffee, hop dogs, and racks of balls to players like Rempe, Varner, Hopkins, Sigel, Barouti, Calovito, Toth, and the Fusco crew....not to mention a bunch of others I'm trying to remember in my nostalgic haze.

We played in a tiny 8 table room of Brunswick Gold Crown II's with seating close enough to worry if a world champ was gonna get sharked by your knee cap....and tables just covered to satisfy the world class field about to swooop down and run 100's.

During the matches you could sneek in early and sit hostage on a seat til the match began. Most of hte players would chat with you, and in your head you just wanted to nod and not sound like a complete banger, while contemplating the next break ball.

While watching Jimmy Fusco I would always think of how easy the patterns looked......all the while he was making positional plays that MADE the game look simple to the rail bird and impossible to the player!

The last year the South Philly crew showed up I ......uhhhhhh......ummmm stupidly? sold 2 Black Boar cues to them. Those gus must have known the quality of those cues, and I just knew I was gonna make a hundred or 2....GOD, the cues I let go....Richard BLacks, Pillippes, Mottey, Joss, Palmers, Black Boars......wait...I'm gonna puke......!


ok....if you get a chance to watch some old school Fusco vid,.....do it! ESPECIALLY if you get to see Jimmy Matts in the VHS battle with Jimmy Fusco......great fun.

I'll post more when I remember the stories.....



G.
 
Last edited:
Jimmy Fusco

Jimmy Fusco used to come to the Ballroom in Toms River NJ quite often. I have seen him play many times. I watched him battle with Tom Storm playing 9 ball and don't remember who won but it was a great match up.
Also saw him play Neptune Joe Frady. Jimmy lost the 9 ball race and just barley won the straight pool game by a handful of balls. I also saw him beat Jean Balukas a set at a 9 ball tournament At West End in Elizabeth NJ. At the same tournament Pete Fusco drew Neptune Joe as his first opponent and said to Jimmy something like "Just my luck to draw Frady first!" Well Pete beat Frady which was not an easy feat back then. I did not know pete but i knew Jimmy pretty good and there was not a nicer pool player that ever walked the planet. Always a gentleman. And when he was right he could play pretty good. And as far as i saw he didn't dog for the cash.
I also played at the Ball Room back in 1987-1990. I visited with Jimmy very often when he would stop in to visit with Tony. Yeah,sometimes Joe Frady,Pat Fleming,and a few of the North Jersey Roadies would drop in. For a pool nut,it was a fabulous atmosphere. I remember when Tom Storm of Sweden stopped in. I had told Jimmy about Oliver Ortmann and how I'd love to see them play some Straight Pool. This was at least 3 years before Oliver came to America. He used to tell me stories about him,Petey Margo,Pete F.,Hopkins,Sigel,Danny DiLiberto...OMG,that's been 20 yrs.ago!!!
I have a little bit of a story for you all. During this time Jimmy wasn't traveling much. He was spending a lot of time tending to his Mom when she was very ill. I would listen as Jimmy talked about how important his relationship was with her. I developed a great admiration for him. A few years later when I was working at the Billiard Congress, I made it a point to tell him how much I admired him for being a great player,and he recalled how we had talked about his Mom. I guess if you wanted to label Jimmy Fusco,Dignity would be one of those superlatives you could use...and it would still fall short. What a Great Guy. He was an Incredible Bank Pool Player too.
 
Well, I have a few stories about the Fusco crew. I"m in southeast PA, and if you play pool in this area, the name Fusco is like going to the phillipines and saying Efren!.

I worked at the room called "The Cue Corner" located in Downingtown PA. Each year we had a 14.1 invitational event, and the Fuscos.....Petey and Jimmy were invited.

It was known Jimmy was slightly stronger overall then Petey, and if you were playing 1P or banks....Jimmy Is a MONSTER!

I remember the morning of the Tourney showing up at 6am and, brushing the tables at 6:30 AM thinking....holy crap...the New York and South Philly crew is gonna be here soon, i gotta get this place lookin sweet! There's something I still feel brushing my home table that I used to feel back then.

The Fusco crew would show up about the same time as Allen Hopkins, Danny Barouty, Jack Calovito, Bob Maidhoff or any number of New York killers in their "who gives a crap, I'll put a quick 100 on you" style .

I always wanted the coffee to be fresh, the room to be clean, and the bathrooms somewhat acceptable :).....classy as they were, no one complained.

Standing behind the counter, I got to hand out coffee, hop dogs, and racks of balls to players like Rempe, Varner, Hopkins, Sigel, Barouti, Calovito, Toth, and the Fusco crew....not to mention a bunch of others I'm trying to remember in my nostalgic haze.

We played in a tiny 8 table room of Brunswick Gold Crown II's with seating close enough to worry if a world champ was gonna get sharked by your knee cap....and tables just covered to satisfy the world class field about to swooop down and run 100's.

During the matches you could sneek in early and sit hostage on a seat til the match began. Most of hte players would chat with you, and in your head you just wanted to nod and not sound like a complete banger, while contemplating the next break ball.

While watching Jimmy Fusco I would always think of how easy the patterns looked......all the while he was making positional plays that MADE the game look simple to the rail bird and impossible to the player!

The last year the South Philly crew showed up I ......uhhhhhh......ummmm stupidly? sold 2 Black Boar cues to them. Those gus must have known the quality of those cues, and I just knew I was gonna make a hundred or 2....GOD, the cues I let go....Richard BLacks, Pillippes, Mottey, Joss, Palmers, Black Boars......wait...I'm gonna puke......!


ok....if you get a chance to watch some old school Fusco vid,.....do it! ESPECIALLY if you get to see Jimmy Mtts in the VHS battle witht JImmy Fusco......great fun.

I'll post more when I remember the stories.....



G.


I'm thrilled to read a thread about Jimmy and Petey, but this post is tops! You have a great feel for writing and telling stories!

All the accolades given to Jimmy are well deserved. A better man never played pool! Jimmy is a prince in my book, one of my best friends ever! I'm always so happy when I see him. Tell you the kind of guy he is. Last time I saw him was at the Rio Hotel in Vegas during the World Series of Poker in 2005. I had just made a healthy score (42K) and walked out into the lobby area and Jimmy was sitting there. I don't even remember why Jimmy was in Vegas but he told me he heard I was doing well in a tournament and he wanted to come by and see me and say hi.

We had a nice chat and then he had to go back to the hotel where he was staying with Marcy, his lovely wife of many years. It made me feel so good that Jimmy cared enough for me to make a trip over to the Rio just to say hi and congratulate me.

By the way, Jimmy was every bit as good as everyone is saying. One of the great "all around" players of his generation, like Hopkins, Sigel, Varner, Mizerak and Rempe. Jimmy was right there with that crew. Probably the low man in 14.1 (but still capable of running 100's), the high man in Banks (even over Varner and Sigel who both banked great), and the equal of all in One Pocket. His 9-Ball game wasn't too shabby either. Jimmy had all bases covered.

Petey was more well known for his One Pocket expertise and played right there with the top players. He was more reserved than Jimmy, but what we would call a "Stand Up" guy. He could and would gamble with the best of them, and was a tough man to beat. And a very honorable gambler to boot. If you beat him (which was rare) you got paid. Every cent with no stories or requests for walking sticks. Like I said an honorable and proud man.
 
Lenny,
The cue that Jimmy used in the Sands Match is a Bill Schick Cue. I had the pleasure of hitting a few balls with the cue at South Philly Billiards. At that time Jimmy had a pro shop inside South Philly Billiards. He is a wonderful person, hell of a player in his day. I enjoyed watching Jimmy play one pocket.

I would have guessed Jimmy's cue was a Schick while I watched the match. I hate to think what it is worth today with all of the ivory in it. Jimmy was very humble in the interview after the match and winning the tournament. I saw some of Jimmy's banking ability during the match when he got out of line a time or two and banking in the 9 to win games.

I have another video of Jimmy doing commentary with Billy Incardona in a 1 pocket match in Columbia, SC. The match was between a very young Shannon Daulton vs The Miz in the finals. You could tell Jimmy's knowledge of 1 pocket during the match which turned out to be one of the best 1 pocket matches i've ever seen. Shannon was shooting at everything and made balls from everywhere. Jimmy couldn't believe some of the shots Shannon was shooting. Steve jumped out to a big lead on Shannon running the balls perfectly each opportunity and Shannon looked beaten, but Shannon wasn't done and he came back on Steve for one of the most exciting finishes you'll see in a 1 pocket match. Shannon fired a ball in and got position in one game and Jimmy said to Billy "What the hell happened" the ball went in so fast! My video of that match isn't the best, but I enjoy watching it every chance I get........

James
 
Last edited:
I'm thrilled to read a thread about Jimmy and Petey, but this post is tops! You have a great feel for writing and telling stories!

All the accolades given to Jimmy are well deserved. A better man never played pool! Jimmy is a prince in my book, one of my best friends ever! I'm always so happy when I see him. Tell you the kind of guy he is. Last time I saw him was at the Rio Hotel in Vegas during the World Series of Poker in 2005. I had just made a healthy score (42K) and walked out into the lobby area and Jimmy was sitting there. I don't even remember why Jimmy was in Vegas but he told me he heard I was doing well in a tournament and he wanted to come by and see me and say hi.

We had a nice chat and then he had to go back to the hotel where he was staying with Marcy, his lovely wife of many years. It made me feel so good that Jimmy cared enough for me to make a trip over to the Rio just to say hi and congratulate me.

By the way, Jimmy was every bit as good as everyone is saying. One of the great "all around" players of his generation, like Hopkins, Sigel, Varner, Mizerak and Rempe. Jimmy was right there with that crew. Probably the low man in 14.1 (but still capable of running 100's), the high man in Banks (even over Varner and Sigel who both banked great), and the equal of all in One Pocket. His 9-Ball game wasn't too shabby either. Jimmy had all bases covered.

Petey was more well known for his One Pocket expertise and played right there with the top players. He was more reserved than Jimmy, but what we would call a "Stand Up" guy. He could and would gamble with the best of them, and was a tough man to beat. And a very honorable gambler to boot. If you beat him (which was rare) you got paid. Every cent with no stories or requests for walking sticks. Like I said an honorable and proud man.


Wow Jay, that's the nicest thing anyone has said to me here on AZB, and it's not even about my pool game!:grin-square:

I guess when I get the right mixture of nostalgia, single malt, and the urge to tell a story it can sometimes come out ok.:embarrassed2:

G.
 
I was talking to a guy who went with Jimmy to Florida.

I know Jimmy a bit through the years. I was talking to a guy who drove with Jimmy to Florida along with another guy, in a mobile home. Jimmy was young and playing jam up 9 ball. They pulled up to a room in their mobile home and told Jimmy there's one guy down here you stay away from. The 2 of them went to the restroom to wash up and came out 5 minutes later. There was Jimmy, in the back room, playing the one guy they told him to avoid: Buddy Hall. The played for 2 days and broke even. Then the 3 of them climbed back in their mobile home and drove home. Their action was dead.
 
I used to play at family fun center in the late 90's and early 2000's before moving near AC. That's what fuscos old room on bussleton pk odd street rd was called. it was the only room open 24 hours. The cops were *****s in my local room they would literally shut down the place if we were gambling too late. I first met Jimmy in a room in that room in westampton called sharkys Billiards. He was a good friend. He comes to AC every once in a while to shoot and screw around.

I can't tell a ton of stories all I know is back pocket 9 ball is his game and he would go into the bathroom and come out a champion somehow. Lol.

He can sure tell some stories too. Always a fun chat
 
Back
Top