Jimmy and Pete Fusco

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Just curious if some of our members could share some stories and pictures of these 2 cousins. How did/do they play?, who was better?
 
Last edited:
Jimmy Fusco Pic's

Here are 2:
 

Attachments

  • jimmyfusco1.jpg
    jimmyfusco1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,394
  • NBN-9-75web.jpg
    NBN-9-75web.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 3,528
Pete F

Lenny, Mitch played Pete at the Derby a couple of years ago and had him talking to himself after the match. Mitch ran out from every where and Pete complained, "that ain't 1-Pocket".Tres Kane has a match between Nick Varner and Jimmy, where they did the commentary after the match. Maybe he will loan it to you.
 
Lenny, Mitch played Pete at the Derby a couple of years ago and had him talking to himself after the match. Mitch ran out from every where and Pete complained, "that ain't 1-Pocket".Tres Kane has a match between Nick Varner and Jimmy, where they did the commentary after the match. Maybe he will loan it to you.

Haha, great story, what was the game with Mitch and Pete? I have the video actually your talking about because I heard it was one of the best to learn one pocket from and was watching some of it yesterday. I am going to watch the rest today, nothing like rainy day one pocket. :smile:
 
Pete/Mitch

Haha, great story, what was the game with Mitch and Pete? I have the video actually your talking about because I heard it was one of the best to learn one pocket from and was watching some of it yesterday. I am going to watch the rest today, nothing like rainy day one pocket. :smile:
Pete and Mitch were playing in the 1-pocket tournament at the derby. Mitch beat Shawn Putnam in the same tournament. Yeah, it is a good day to kick back and view some matches.
 
Jimmy Fusco

Lenny,

I have an accu-stats video of Jimmy Fusco playing Kim Davenport at the Sands in Reno in the 9 ball finals. Buddy and Billy did the commentary and Kim was ranked Number 1 at the time of the match. Jimmy played Mike Massey to get to the finals and he was real nervous and just barely survived that match. The race was to 15 and it was a real exciting match. Jimmy was playing with one of the best looking cues i've ever seen a pro play with in a big match. I know you are waiting for me to say who won, Jimmy won the tournament and he beat Kim in the finals hill-hill. It's a great match and I go back and watch it every now and then. The commentary is great also with Billy and Buddy telling stories and analyzing the match.

James
 
They were both very good players but I think Jimmy was the better all-around player, he played all games great. There's an accu-stats tape of Jimmy Fusco winning the Sands Reno event in the early 90's, I forget who he played against but it was an impressive and tenacious performance by Fusco. There's also a great 14.1 match also on accu-stats from one of the U.S. open events where he plays and I believe beats Lou Butera in a very close match both players have big runs in that one.

I also believe that there's a 3rd Fusco brother or cousin, I think his name is Mike but I don't know what speed he plays/played at.

edit: I didn't see the post above mine before but that's the Reno event I was referring to.
 
Last edited:
Mike Fusco

They were both very good players but I think Jimmy was the better all-around player, he played all games great. There's an accu-stats tape of Jimmy Fusco winning the Sands Reno event in the early 90's, I forget who he played against but it was an impressive and tenacious performance by Fusco. There's also a great 14.1 match also on accu-stats from one of the U.S. open events where he plays and I believe beats Lou Butera in a very close match both players have big runs in that one.

I also believe that there's a 3rd Fusco brother or cousin, I think his name is Mike but I don't know what speed he plays/played at.

edit: I didn't see the post above mine before but that's the Reno event I was referring to.

Mike Fusco was the owner of Boulevard Billiards in Philly. He is pictured with Jimmy and Patch Eye in my earlier post in this thread. Mike was no relation to Jimmy and Pete.

Wedge
 
That old pic of Patcheye..sadly, he doesn't look anything like that these days.

Pete F. did have a couple of rooms (or, maybe he had the proshop part of one). I think he was the owner of a room in Feasterville, PA where Karen Corr played out of and worked with him on her game. I hope my memory isn't fading on this one...


Eric
 
Pete Fosco

That old pic of Patcheye..sadly, he doesn't look anything like that these days.

Pete F. did have a couple of rooms (or, maybe he had the proshop part of one). I think he was the owner of a room in Feasterville, PA where Karen Corr played out of and worked with him on her game. I hope my memory isn't fading on this one...


Eric

Pete Fusco still owns a room in Feasterville called "The Spot". Karen did play there until she moved to North Carolina. I originally saw "Patcheye" play at Boulevard Billiards in the early 1970's...heck of a player...hard to believe he played that well with one eye as you lose a lot of depth perception with only one eye. They also called him Henry although he changed his name to Jefarr Basheer (Spelling is probably not right).

Wedge
 
Pete Fusco still owns a room in Feasterville called "The Spot". Karen did play there until she moved to North Carolina. I originally saw "Patcheye" play at Boulevard Billiards in the early 1970's...heck of a player...hard to believe he played that well with one eye as you lose a lot of depth perception with only one eye. They also called him Henry although he changed his name to Jefarr Basheer (Spelling is probably not right).

Wedge

Did Karen move to NC or TN?

I've only known "Patcheye" as Patcheye.

He doesnt make the rounds anymore, but you can still find him at the VF Expo (Superbilliards Hopkins thing).


Eric >always goes to VF
 
Did Karen move to NC or TN?

I've only known "Patcheye" as Patcheye.

He doesnt make the rounds anymore, but you can still find him at the VF Expo (Superbilliards Hopkins thing).


Eric >always goes to VF

Yep, it was Tennessee. I would suspect that Jay Helfert would remember Henry and also anyone else that palyed in Philly!
 
Jimmy Fusco used to come to the Ballroom in Toms River NJ quite often. I have seen him play many times. I watched him battle with Tom Storm playing 9 ball and don't remember who won but it was a great match up.
Also saw him play Neptune Joe Frady. Jimmy lost the 9 ball race and just barley won the straight pool game by a handful of balls. I also saw him beat Jean Balukas a set at a 9 ball tournament At West End in Elizabeth NJ. At the same tournament Pete Fusco drew Neptune Joe as his first opponent and said to Jimmy something like "Just my luck to draw Frady first!" Well Pete beat Frady which was not an easy feat back then. I did not know pete but i knew Jimmy pretty good and there was not a nicer pool player that ever walked the planet. Always a gentleman. And when he was right he could play pretty good. And as far as i saw he didn't dog for the cash.
 
Fusco's Cue

Lenny,
The cue that Jimmy used in the Sands Match is a Bill Schick Cue. I had the pleasure of hitting a few balls with the cue at South Philly Billiards. At that time Jimmy had a pro shop inside South Philly Billiards. He is a wonderful person, hell of a player in his day. I enjoyed watching Jimmy play one pocket.
 
but i knew Jimmy pretty good and there was not a nicer pool player that ever walked the planet. Always a gentleman. .


Yep, thats my opinion of Jimmy too. What an easy going, friendly guy. I remember, a handful of years ago, Jimmy was playing in the Big Apple something or another; major tournament in NYC with top players from all over the world. I sat down next to him to watch a particular match; Efren vs. C.S. Yang. At the time, Jimmy didn't know Yang, but he sure as hell knew who Efren was. We chatted a lil and I told Jimmy "watch my boy play". Yang wound up losing hill-hill to Efren. A little later, I stopped Jimmy and asked him "so, what do you think of Yang's game?" He pursed his lips and made a face like he just burned his fingers. I think he was impressed :wink:


Eric
 
Jimmy was the stronger player of the two in every game....14.1, Banks, 9B, One Pocket....he had a ton more experience in tournaments also.

Here's a link from a few years back with some info on them.....http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=63994

Grady has always spoken highly of Jimmy Fusco and holds him in high esteem.

Here's a link to his Hall of Fame page at OnePocket.org.....http://www.onepocket.org/JFuscoHOFpage.htm

I say this humbly...I had the honor of being the first one to nominate him on October 1, 2007 for the One Pocket H.O.F. Here's the link.....http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?p=10628#post10628

Great man and a great player.
 
Back
Top