Joe Rogan - "Pro pool players look down on bowlers"

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really like bowling. However, knowing one of the best coaches in the world has taught me respect for the science and the coaching Methods employed there. They are at least a decade ahead of pool. They also have an actual pro tour in America. Where's the pool pro tour? Oh, that's right....All the promoters in pool are crooks, all the players are wannabe Hustlers who cannot wait to shoot themselves and the sport in the foot. In bowling they have rules and standards. If you show up to a tournament, you know what to expect. In pool you have to study the individual rules of each tournament like the Bible, to see what nonsense the maniac promoter managed to put in, or what God awful monstrosity of a table he elected to use.

Pools only hope is China. The Chinese know how to put together an event, and they respect talent and the sport. Nobody in Europe or especially the US takes the sport seriously, even the actual players and promoters. Every time they talk about the events it's like they're laughing under their breath. Then they Wonder why no one wants to invest! I can think of only a handful of pro pool players that I think could be marketable to a normal business. Even that's a stretch. nutcases, bums and crooks are hard to market to mainstream business people. The ones that somehow don't fall into these categories still manage to look like they belong in at least two of them or all three... Then you watch a Chinese 8 ball event, and Things don't look so bad. The players wear clothes that don't look like they're stolen off a corpse, they respect the game. Sponsors actually want to get behind them and they pay the players..We can't have that here in Europe, and not in the US either. Everyone currently in charge would have to retire or die, and the sport would need a hard reboot. Good Luck laughing at bowlers.
Wow.....spot on in my humble opinion.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
This ?

giphy.gif

:D

This is why Wu does not read any of your posts.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure why people feel the need to criticise another sport, especially one that's far more organised than pool.

Over here in the UK we don't have a pro bowling tour, but your PBA tour seems very professional, with decent prize money and you can even buy pay per view packages on-line.

I used to bowl a lot and to those saying 'its easy', clearly should quit their jobs and turn pro ;-)

Any game is 'easy' if you're playing for fun, dealing with different oil patterns, lane conditions (and pressure) is what makes it hard. You can roughly equate that to ball patterns and cloth / cushion performance on a pool table I guess.

To be honest, pool fans should be dreaming about being like bowling (in the US) as at least there is an organised tour!

As to which game people prefer, well this is a pool site, so that should be fairly obvious, but that doesn't make other games bad, just different.

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't really like bowling. However, knowing one of the best coaches in the world has taught me respect for the science and the coaching Methods employed there. They are at least a decade ahead of pool. They also have an actual pro tour in America. Where's the pool pro tour? Oh, that's right....All the promoters in pool are crooks, all the players are wannabe Hustlers who cannot wait to shoot themselves and the sport in the foot. In bowling they have rules and standards. If you show up to a tournament, you know what to expect. In pool you have to study the individual rules of each tournament like the Bible, to see what nonsense the maniac promoter managed to put in, or what God awful monstrosity of a table he elected to use.

Pools only hope is China. The Chinese know how to put together an event, and they respect talent and the sport. Nobody in Europe or especially the US takes the sport seriously, even the actual players and promoters. Every time they talk about the events it's like they're laughing under their breath. Then they Wonder why no one wants to invest! I can think of only a handful of pro pool players that I think could be marketable to a normal business. Even that's a stretch. nutcases, bums and crooks are hard to market to mainstream business people. The ones that somehow don't fall into these categories still manage to look like they belong in at least two of them or all three... Then you watch a Chinese 8 ball event, and Things don't look so bad. The players wear clothes that don't look like they're stolen off a corpse, they respect the game. Sponsors actually want to get behind them and they pay the players..We can't have that here in Europe, and not in the US either. Everyone currently in charge would have to retire or die, and the sport would need a hard reboot. Good Luck laughing at bowlers.

Speaking of their Pro Tour has anyone seen the PBA bowling shows on FS1 and then replayed again on regional FoxSports networks? It is good TV!!

You have top notch bowlers and real characters in the mix. They have good computer graphics. They use a light blue tinted oil so TV viewers can see the oil patterns on the lanes. They have decently knowledgeable TV folks and best of all a rowdy engaged crowd sit both behind the pit of the lanes AND all the way down the length of the lane on one side. Good stuff!

It is actually on right now on FS1 at 4:40 am CST.

Pool needs to be done this way to draw an audience beyond pool nerds:)

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only ego dicks knock another's mans cup of tea...I am sure on the other end of things some see pool players as dumbos with a stick chasing a ball bent over something that looks like a dinner table with holes in it. ..

Hey, hitman22, I notice you are from San Bernardino, CA, my old stomping ground. Were you there back in the days of the Pool Palace on Waterman Ave.

And to stay on topic, I completely agree with your comment.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can make a good living being a pro or top amateur bowler. Their money events are more organized and better funded. But watch some bowlers try to set up a money game or talk some good smack is painful to watch.

No doubt about it, when it comes to the sleazy side of things, pool players have it all over bowlers.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This ?

giphy.gif

:D

couldn't resist

tenor.gif

Love the colorful descriptions though a bit exaggerated :thumbup:

She had limited tools in her arsenal. Her lack of striking skills were not exposed in her earlier matches in a sport where ground grappling skills is highly emphasised. She never adapted or improve her striking after her first loss. Real champions take a loss, regroup and adapt but she didn't :D

^^This^^

Her stand up was absolutely awful. Probably one of the worst in the division. Coach Edmond kept telling the "champ" that she had the best hands etc... and she started believing it. This, coupled with her ginormous ego made it almost impossible for her to take the Holm fight to the ground.

She and dumb Dracula actually thought it was a good game plan to go in and fight a multi time world boxing champion. The odds were crazy against Holm and I won money on that fight.

The Nunes fight went the same way. Ronda wanted to prove to the world that the loss to Holm was a fluke and that she was actually a good boxer and not a one trick pony with her judo.

Nunes followed the same game plan as Holm and Bingo'd the hell out of Ronda again.

Nunes is a freaking beast.

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bowling is cool. You get to basically throw something big and heavy at a bunch of stuff and knock it all down and make lots of noise!:thumbup:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well unlike pool they actually have an organized pro tour and a tv contract. Not a fan of bowling but they seem more organized.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^^This^^

Her stand up was absolutely awful. Probably one of the worst in the division. Coach Edmond kept telling the "champ" that she had the best hands etc... and she started believing it. This, coupled with her ginormous ego made it almost impossible for her to take the Holm fight to the ground.

She and dumb Dracula actually thought it was a good game plan to go in and fight a multi time world boxing champion. The odds were crazy against Holm and I won money on that fight.

The Nunes fight went the same way. Ronda wanted to prove to the world that the loss to Holm was a fluke and that she was actually a good boxer and not a one trick pony with her judo.

Nunes followed the same game plan as Holm and Bingo'd the hell out of Ronda again.

Nunes is a freaking beast.

With a better coach, I honestly think she would still be in the UFC and unbeaten.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With a better coach, I honestly think she would still be in the UFC and unbeaten.

FamiliarGlamorousFulmar-size_restricted.gif

I agree that she would most likely still be in the UFC. I believe that if she had gone with Jackson/Wink early on.....she would still be unbelievable.

IMO, I don't think she would have remained unbeaten though. She was kind of like Royce in the early UFCs. Ronda was light years ahead of all the girls doing things they had not really seen yet. All the girls started catching up with the "times".

Another reason I think RR would have run into some trouble if she had remained with the UFC was her reluctance to fight Cris Cyborg. At some point, if she remained unbeaten, she would have HAD to face Cyborg in the Super Fight of ALL fights MMA. It would have been a bigger draw than Conor/Khabib.

The problem is....Rousey would have never taken the fight. She would have run from Cyborg again and joined the WWE or whatever it is.

Crazy props to Holm and Nunes for fighting Cyborg and especially to Nunes for knocking her the hell out.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Well unlike pool they actually have an organized pro tour and a tv contract. Not a fan of bowling but they seem more organized.

And in order to get the TV contract they first had to have the organized pro tour.

I'm hoping one day pool gets the fact that you need a chicken in order to get the egg.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm talking about the cash. I think bowlers make more.

You should check out how much money dart players are making in the PDC. It is crazy. Top players are making $1,000,000+. And that's just prize money. You can knock darts all you want, but those guys are making a killing that pool players only dream of.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Pool should look up at bowling.

Organized tour, players organization with membership and membership benefits, standardized rules and equipment, and a clearly defined ranking methodology are bowling's strengths.

I'll also note that when pool players "rack their own" or get the balls out of the pockets even when there is a referee, they are a cut below bowling, where players haven't had to collect and reset their pins for about 75 years now.

In its meaningful events, bowlers also have a dress code that is enforced. I once cringed watching Charlie "Hillbilly" Bryant competing in one-piece overalls at Derby City and am almost as shocked when I watch anyone competing in a "Hustlin" T-shirt. Far too many pool players show a lack of respect fr their own sport.

... and let's add that bowling events are played until completion. That's right, bowlers don't chop and dare to walk out with all of the prize money.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool should look up at bowling.

... and let's add that bowling events are played until completion. That's right, bowlers don't chop and dare to walk out with all of the prize money.

That part is mostly on the Promoters imho. Having finals START at 1-3AM just begs a chop and the Promoters don't object because they wanna go home also! Plus, maybe im wrong but i dont think that would happen at Turning Stone, The US Open, The DCC etc-only in the 3k first prize pool room events that only have a smallest bit of meaning because we are talking about pool with pool players.

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
You should check out how much money dart players are making in the PDC. It is crazy. Top players are making $1,000,000+. And that's just prize money. You can knock darts all you want, but those guys are making a killing that pool players only dream of.

I don't knock darts at all. I've played a little and my brothers used to play a lot. I love watching the championship matches they have every year. Got to tell ya', the Euro fans sure like to have fun. Maybe America and pool should take a serious look at allowing noise and energy during competition. I know it sucks as a pool player, but that seems the way "the fans" like it.

Last edited:

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bowling also doesn't have you bowl 10 frames throughout the tournament then in the championships have to roll 15 frames plus win by 20 pins or else we continue rolling until someone wins by 20.

You bowl 10 frames. Period.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bowling also doesn't have you bowl 10 frames throughout the tournament then in the championships have to roll 15 frames plus win by 20 pins or else we continue rolling until someone wins by 20.

You bowl 10 frames. Period.

Actually, they do have a procedure to address when there is a tie. Lately, for the single game ladder finals, it is a 9th and 10th frame roll-off. ties below the qualifier for finals just split the prize money, like golf.

Your point is valid, but the fact that it is a different style of competition makes a direct comparison difficult. Bowling (or darts, or golf for that matter) is an individual competition where you compare your performance against your competitor's performance in doing a specific task. Your competitor's performance does not impact or impede your own performance.