John Schmidt's and Corey Deuel's comments on aiming systems

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
CTE'rs need to agree with each other. They contradict themselves.
Stan says the half-tip pivot is essential to cte .
Says they don't need to know the contact point or ghost ball or tangent line.
Some followers make their own cte process .
Heck some claim it worked great BEFORE they even learned it .
First of all no one "NEEDS" to agree about CTE. CTE is a method of aiming inside a larger genre of objective aiming where even learning a part of it can dramatically improve aim and shotmaking. Not everyone goes the distance and learns it to the depth that Stan and a few others have gone.

Tangent lines are important for position play. Once a person finds the shot line the tangent line then follows. A person can certainly use the pocket line to determine a contact point at the object ball and thus see the tangent line. None of which is needed to aim the cueball TO the object ball using CTE aiming. For me though my ability to see and use tangent lines got stronger after learning CTE because having the right shot line TO the object ball meant that I could KNOW where the cueball was going and where it would hit the object ball. In other words instead of working backwards from the pocket-object ball-cue ball I could start working forwards cue ball-object ball-tangent line.

Even a hacked up or incomplete version of CTE is better than ghost ball imo

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
We do agree with each other. It's just people like you with no knowledge of CTE that still try to discredit it. WHY IS THAT?
The half tip pivot is essential to basic CTE, and always has been and always will be.
Knowing the CP or GB IS NOT NECESSARY TO CTE, although the CP could be a useful tool in knowing which way to sweep.
CTE PRO-ONE requires a sweep, BUT NO PIVOT.
I know this info will not sink into your head and you will continue your assault on CTE but I figured I'd put the truth out there anyways.
They are like the human chained in the cave where they can only see the outside world portrayed as shadows on the cave walls. When one escapes and comes back to tell them that the outside world is big and diverse and in color they don't believe him and ostracize the one who has seen the world.

This Joey character is one of the worst imo. I have rarely seen a more useless human than one who spends their time trying to STOP people from enjoying this awesome sport.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
You claim the <user doesn't need contact points>. Trying to defend that is also retarded. Contact and the points of contact are integral to and a function of, pool.
Is CTE such a sham you need to oversell every contradiction to your spiel?
They don't.
Then some say they do.
Then they don't.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They are like the human chained in the cave where they can only see the outside world portrayed as shadows on the cave walls. When one escapes and comes back to tell them that the outside world is big and diverse and in color they don't believe him and ostracize the one who has seen the world.

This Joey character is one of the worst imo. I have rarely seen a more useless human than one who spends their time trying to STOP people from enjoying this awesome sport.
He's just an uber driver who trolls AZ between customers

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Even a hacked up or incomplete version of CTE is better than ghost ball imo
Wondering what the best potters in the world would think of this statement.

If it doesn't go without saying. None of the best potters in the world are professional 'pool' players.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member

If it doesn't go without saying. None of the best potters in the world are professional 'pool' players.
Those guys are mechanics and form junkees . Not aiming system junkees .
Definitely no twitching gimmick .
Simple system with perfect stroke and alignment to the aiming line trumps any twitching gimmick .
Tor Lowry, Niels Feijen and Allison Fisher can't be wrong.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simple system with perfect stroke and alignment to the aiming line trumps any twitching gimmick .
Whatever aiming system you tried to learn in the past but never did understand has really gotten under your skin.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's use just Allison as an example. She has refined her pool to include only shots that her method will cinch; valid by any means but lacking in open competition. The leading men by contrast, have accumulated a much broader arsenal and have the headroom to get through any field.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

Depends on the potting/pocketing requirements I guess.

In snooker there are various aiming methods discussed with some of them approaching the objective end of the spectrum.

Of course the majority of snooker pros would likely just say that "dummy ball" (ghost ball) is the way to go even if they don't actually use it at their level anymore.

CTE works on snooker tables and Chinese 8 ball tables. So I am sure that the "best" potters would likely dismiss anything so different as CTE because really they are brought up to essentially see the "line of the shot" (shot line) through endless repetition and body adjustments.

It's clear that snooker has a lot of snobbery when it comes to claiming that they have the best shot makers. But in truth they just have excellent shot makers in their discipline just as pool has them in theirs. As Steve Davis said about Efren, if Efren had grown up in England then he likely would have become a top snooker player because he has a champion's mindset.

No snooker player will beat a top American professional at shot making when we are talking about the type of shots that pool players frequently face. For the shots that go directly to a pocket and which don't require spin I would certainly agree that top snooker players are likely to be more accurate than top pool players on average for shots considered "difficult". But, without a lot of practice, they will not be more accurate with the shots that require spin nor with the bank shots that American players face.

But all that doesn't actually matter because it's called an appeal to authority rather than actual evidence. If we make a few assumptions we can see the logical fallacy of trying to dismiss what I said through the imagined dismissiveness of top snooker players.

The Assumptions:

1. CTE leads the shooter to the correct shot line 100% of the time when the steps are correctly applied.

2. The steps to use CTE are objective and use several easily seen hard reference points to align to.

3. Ghost ball leads the shooter to the shot line 100% of the time when applied correctly.

4. The steps to use ghost ball are mostly subjective.

5. Subjective measurement produces less accuracy than objective measurement in general.

6. It is very unlikely that any top snooker player has any experience with the CTE method of aiming.

If we were to agree that these statements are true for the purpose of the discussion then it should be clear that snooker players would be giving an opinion based on just one-sided experience and would not be offering anything based on actual comparison.

If I were a top snooker player I might be wholly dismissive of something like cte as well. However I wouldn't ever really know if it were better than dummy ball.

The only people on the planet who do have the experience with both are CTE users. The overwhelming agreement among them is that CTE is way better than ghost ball.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Lol, the first thing you are wrong about is saying that someone else can't be wrong.

How do you find the aiming line again? If a ball is perfectly delivered to the wrong spot on the object ball will the object ball be pocketed more or less than if the object ball is perfectly delivered to the correct spot?

Just because I study case making at an arguably far deeper level than any of my colleagues doesn't mean the way I make cases is the best way to make cases. That way might be out there and unknown to me.

Would you bet your life that Tor could beat Stan in a shot making contest? I would bet mine on Stan in that matchup.

And I say this in full knowledge that Tor uses banking systems that he got from Jimmy Reid. So we could say that Tor might be able to hang with Stan in banking which would leave the direct shots. And for those I predict that Stan would come out ahead.

The fact is Joey that you don't have a player who uses only ghost ball that you will put up in a shot making contest against the top cte users. If I am wrong though go ahead and secure your side and we can make the arrangements.

I willing to put my money where my mouth is. Are you?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Aiming by a hyper construct that references no object orientation or target specificity will not resolve the deadest of pool shots. Hence retarded.
Good thing no one aims that way then. Whatever you are attempting to describe is not CTE.

Also you are using the word retarded incorrectly. I understand that you want to use it perjoratively but in this case you are not even correctly using it in that context.

One may be misguided or delusional in the acquistion of knowledge but rarely would retarded be the correct label to apply to a system that requires some deep study to learn and implement.

While you are certainly free to express your opinions you are not able to invent your own facts. And a fact is that there are players who use CTE successfully and whom do have the relevant experience to say with certainty that contact points are not part of the process.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
It certainly has been the best method for consistency. Aiming falls in line once you have the delivery sorted out.
This is not correct. You could teach a blind person perfect delivery. If we use your example of snooker players and agree that the top players nearly all exhibit perfect delivery why then do they ever miss?