John Shmidt's got action

poolmouse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just about a said:
I always laugh when people blame it on the players. When you win a golf tourney you win a cool cold million go back to your mansion and sit in your hot tub with three girls and have fun. When you win a big pool tourney you get 10k (give your backer half) and have the luxury of sleeping in your car or somebody elses house.

Catch-22. The sport isn't profitable because it has a dirty reputation and no respect, so let's be dirty and disrespectful until the sport becomes profitable.

just about a said:
Once the investment is made on the corporate side the networks will make these players look like church going family man. I promise.

Possible, but not probable. :)

Poolmouse

travisw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sorry with the downer post,but just an observation.
everyone is comparing marketing systems used by the dominant sports (NFL,MLB,NBA) to what pool needs to do. It is my oppinion that it is too far fetched to imediatly try and get the large comglomerate sponsors such as these sports have.
At the current state i believe Pool is nested strongly just above Darts(considred another typical bar room social game that also has leagues and a diehard following) and just below bowling (also considered a social activity by many that has its leagues and diehards) Yet bowling has managed to provide well over six figure incomes to many of its top players year in and year out. I believe it would serve the pool community well to loook closely at the model they have been using and apply it some way to itself. They have found a way to get specialty sponsors and league systems to fund there pro events.
Im not saying it is a bad thing to dream big for the large outside sponsorship, just stating that smaller steps though still in the right direction may prove more benificial.
Bowling might have something going on worth looking at

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
travisw said:
sorry with the downer post,but just an observation.
everyone is comparing marketing systems used by the dominant sports (NFL,MLB,NBA) to what pool needs to do. It is my oppinion that it is too far fetched to imediatly try and get the large comglomerate sponsors such as these sports have.
At the current state i believe Pool is nested strongly just above Darts(considred another typical bar room social game that also has leagues and a diehard following) and just below bowling (also considered a social activity by many that has its leagues and diehards) Yet bowling has managed to provide well over six figure incomes to many of its top players year in and year out. I believe it would serve the pool community well to loook closely at the model they have been using and apply it some way to itself. They have found a way to get specialty sponsors and league systems to fund there pro events.
Im not saying it is a bad thing to dream big for the large outside sponsorship, just stating that smaller steps though still in the right direction may prove more benificial.
Bowling might have something going on worth looking at

Bowling has been broke many times. Last time it was rescued by a Microsoft millionaire(billionaire) who pumped money into it and helped it get going again.

Actually we weren't comparing marketing templates. Every sport you can think of that is big now was small and struggling once.

Pool will never capture the attention of the public as much as action sports or contrived activities like wrestling and Survivor. It won't happen. It could however get a much larger fan base than it has now which would lead to a lot of improvement in the lives of professional players. That requires dreaming big and starting small. Pool suffers from two major issues that will be hardest to overcome - it's too fragmented and the people in it are not willing to work together.

Ironman317

Cash Me In....
Silver Member
JB Cases said:
Bowling has been broke many times. Last time it was rescued by a Microsoft millionaire(billionaire) who pumped money into it and helped it get going again.

Actually we weren't comparing marketing templates. Every sport you can think of that is big now was small and struggling once.

Pool will never capture the attention of the public as much as action sports or contrived activities like wrestling and Survivor. It won't happen. It could however get a much larger fan base than it has now which would lead to a lot of improvement in the lives of professional players. That requires dreaming big and starting small. Pool suffers from two major issues that will be hardest to overcome - it's too fragmented and the people in it are not willing to work together.

pool also has other issues that do not allow it to grow in the public eye, such as.....the gambling aspect, drugs and players finding ways to collude (dumping). these are traits that cannot be changed over night. jmo.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Ironman317 said:
pool also has other issues that do not allow it to grow in the public eye, such as.....the gambling aspect, drugs and players finding ways to collude (dumping). these are traits that cannot be changed over night. jmo.

Those issues are also present in other sports. They are really non-issues. If the sport becomes popular then those issues will be discussed as news points and nostalgia pieces.

Think about it. The foibles of pro athletes are tabloid and mainstream news fodder, scandals are eagerly welcomed by the press, pros like to talk about their scuffling days and what they had to do to survive until they made it to the big time.

Our movies glorify these things - is it any wonder that the two movies that reinvigorated pool were about the dark side of pool?

travisw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JB Cases said:

One of the points stated in the second article you listed i like very much.
It stated that they were going to broad cast bowling on EVERY sunday throughout their season.

I believe consistency in air time (even if its just once a week) would realy help develope a more dedicated following. Allowing fans to know when they are going we able to view this sport from week to week.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
travisw said:
One of the points stated in the second article you listed i like very much.
It stated that they were going to broad cast bowling on EVERY sunday throughout their season.

I believe consistency in air time (even if its just once a week) would realy help develope a more dedicated following. Allowing fans to know when they are going we able to view this sport from week to week.

This would definitely help. It's always been a problem, pool fans never know when "their" show will air. That's why Pool has been described as a "filler" sport on ESPN.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member