Johnny Archer's fearless jump shot escapes Efren's safety + lets him win the 1993 world 9-ball championship 8 minutes later.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sigel -- expertly commentating -- can hardly believe the astonishing shot! Excitedly exclaims: "That's the most amazing shot I ever saw."

Worth watching 23 year-old Johnny totally in the zone to the end as he closes out this tournament-winning match minutes later. What a talent he is.

Enjoy.

Arnaldo ~ Nice interview with well-spoken and so level headed Johnny at the very end.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Last edited:

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that was really at the beginning of jump cues starting to show up and they didn’t have near the technology in material and tips that they do now To make it even easier. You just didn’t see things like that in a championship tournament then. Hell of a shot..

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that was really at the beginning of jump cues starting to show up and they didn’t have near the technology in material and tips that they do now To make it even easier. You just didn’t see things like that in a championship tournament then. Hell of a shot..
Trob: Mike Sigel's excited and appropriate reaction shows how accurately (and instructively) your perceptive comment places the shot squarely into its pool history context.

And it underlies the reason that similarly-adept Earl soon acquired the moniker "Air Strickland". Johnny's prowess seen here, educated a lot of pro players (then much to the distress of commercial room owners who became alarmed at the "ballpeen hammer" damage that began appearing on the expensive fabrics of all their tables when thousands of anxious & inept amateurs nationwide repeatedly tried to master the technique seen in contemporary televised matches).

Arnaldo ~ Signs saying "No jump shots allowed" quite understandably began appearing everywhere.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reactions: bbb

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody remember the out the rack shot? I learned to do that on soft cloth with the ball in the middle of the rack (not the corner like name guys used to). Technically it's a half ball jump but it didn't require much of a stroke on the fuzzy stuff.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer dogged an easy shot. Efren played a nice 2 way shot. Archer pulls out a gimmick cue and wins.

That's why I don't like jump cues.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Archer dogged an easy shot. Efren played a nice 2 way shot. Archer pulls out a gimmick cue and wins.

He played a 2 way shot for sure. Wasn’t the best 2 way shot. JA looked so strong there-I don’t think that shot made much difference who was gonna win. JA had his number for a long time. A good solid winning record against Efren. But Efren could find shots better than JA. 9B was far from Efrens best game.

Best
Fatboy

Cue Alchemist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I really liked about Johnny here. Is his speed. Once he slowed down a bit in the early 2000s. He seemed to loose something. This rivalry with reyes lasted well over a decade.
Those two had some cracking matches. And That was, some shot!!!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trob: Mike Sigel's excited and appropriate reaction shows how accurately (and instructively) your perceptive comment places the shot squarely into its pool history context.

And it underlies the reason that similarly-adept Earl soon acquired the moniker "Air Strickland". Johnny's prowess seen here, educated a lot of pro players (then much to the distress of commercial room owners who became alarmed at the "ballpeen hammer" damage that began appearing on the expensive fabrics of all their tables when thousands of anxious & inept amateurs nationwide repeatedly tried to master the technique seen in contemporary televised matches).

Arnaldo ~ Signs saying "No jump shots allowed" quite understandably began appearing everywhere.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Do you remember the jump cue that started showing up that was like a medal pole with a tip on it the size of a quarter lol they were quickly banned by the bca and standards of what was allowed to be used quickly in place lol

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A gimmick cue? I’ll give you a jump cue and put you on that table in a finals situation and see how well you hit it. Lol I know what I’m betting on. It still takes skill and practice to use. I swear if pool players were in charge of golf you would still have hickory shafts and only 4 clubs in their bag lol I’ve never seen a game so afraid of change

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A gimmick cue? I’ll give you a jump cue and put you on that table in a finals situation and see how well you hit it. Lol I know what I’m betting on. It still takes skill and practice to use. I swear if pool players were in charge of golf you would still have hickory shafts and only 4 clubs in their bag lol I’ve never seen a game so afraid of change
You don't use wedges on the greens in golf that is about the same as a jump cue.😉

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A gimmick cue? I’ll give you a jump cue and put you on that table in a finals situation and see how well you hit it.
Trob: Those 15 words of yours that I've red-fonted could, and should, be factored into how reasonable folks view 90% of the adverse -- essentially impulsive -- comments on any billiards forum about the performances of well-respected world-class professional players.

Arnaldo ~ It's almost a case of "Let no astonishing feat go unpunished" no matter what sport or unprecedented accomplishment in any field is being discussed. On the plus side, the merits of idle cynicism is humorously highlighted by someone's centuries-old observation that:
"All progress is due to malcontents."
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some tournaments ban it because it is a gimmick. It's popular because cuemakers make money from it and it's an easy way to overcome mistakes.