Johnny Archer's New Room

Rusty in Montana

I'm glad to see Johnny opening a pool hall !

I had the opportunity to go into and meet Todd the owner of Brothers Billiards in billings what a genuine and nice guy as mentioned before there are some 9' tables as well as bar boxes along with a billiards table and a snooker table.
It's clean and well lit with big screen TVs .

Once I'm back to work on a regular basis I'm seriously considering buying a membership and it's a 3 hour drive one way to play on a 9' table for me .

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm glad to see Johnny opening a pool hall !

I had the opportunity to go into and meet Todd the owner of Brothers Billiards in billings what a genuine and nice guy as mentioned before there are some 9' tables as well as bar boxes along with a billiards table and a snooker table.
It's clean and well lit with big screen TVs .

Once I'm back to work on a regular basis I'm seriously considering buying a membership and it's a 3 hour drive one way to play on a 9' table for me .
But in Montana , EVERYTHING is a 3 hour drive, isnt it? Lol

Rusty in Montana

And it's not windy , or raining or snowing to hard things can be tough when you live somewhere that your seasons are fall ,winter , sprin and road construction .

On a good day yes many things in Montana are a 2 - 3 hour drive it helps keep the rif raf out of My nearly as well as our 100+ degree summer temp and 170" + of snow we receive some winters ha ha

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
we call them quarter tables. they are designed to take your quarters and turn them into dollars for the room owner. Quickly. The point is not pool -- it is commerce. The old pool hall for pool's sake and a haven for men is dead. If you live long enough, you will live in an alien world.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we call them quarter tables. they are designed to take your quarters and turn them into dollars for the room owner. Quickly. The point is not pool -- it is commerce. The old pool hall for pool's sake and a haven for men is dead. If you live long enough, you will live in an alien world.
I must be an alien 'cause my dream is to own a cozy 10-table spot for nothing but pool. Of course women would be allowed, or at least tolerated. ;)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A player is a player, male or female, and if you can hang, you can hang. Never met a female player I didn't like.
I’d rather play a hardcore female player than a equally skilled guy. I like the intensity the females have. Not the “look at my ass” girls, I’m here to play pool, I’ll deal with that later.

Best
Fatboy😀

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How far is Cartersville from Marietta?

Have a cousin that I plan on visiting there in the not too distant future.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member

Owners used to always be trying for something to extract quarters quicker. Locally we refused to go along with less than seven foot tables forcing them to go away and with truly huge pockets, again forcing them to disappear. Voting with your wallet was and still is the best way to get what most customers want.

Of course it bites to be the minority! I went to play pool with a much younger family member. It was only afterwards that I wondered if she was uncomfortable on the nine foot table I automatically got on. She is a very competitive youngster and certainly noted the ol poop dusted her on the nine! While I wouldn't have lost speed on a seven, she might have gained a good bit.

Hu

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Peacock Billiards in Victoria, BC, Canada is very successful with 1/12’ snooker, 1/10’ pool, 3/7’s, 1/os8’, and eighteen 9’s. For years we had 9/8’s and 13/9’s, then one day I checked the usage for the last two years. At the top were all the 9’s, followed by the 10’s and 12’s, the 8’s were all the least used.

I had always presumed that non-players would rationally choose the tables that were easier. But being 10% harder doesn’t matter to them, they don’t expect to make that many shots anyway The larger table gives them more real estate for their rental buck. And all styles look better when larger. Actual players were glad to have more 9’s, of course.

Serious players are not a serious part of the revenue, of course, plus they are fussy and demanding. Nonetheless I chose high end and technical tables and cloth, more for myself and my general luxury-loving public than for the serious. But, irritatingly, the tables are not all the same model with the same colour and kind of cloth.

I do have two Diamonds - 7’ oak Professional and 7’ black ProAm - and have probably the only three Unik tables in play in North America, one red, one blue, and one gold to match Simonis cloth colours. KSteel by Sam in Spain, Rasson's Victory and Ox, Olhausen's Hampton and Cavalier, 9' Eclipse and 10’ Arcade by Brunswick, four misc Chinese, Peter Vitalie’s Lord Nelson, Lenox and Bordeaux by World of Leisure, Aspen in walnut and Franciscan Mission in oak by Connelly.
The 12’ is B&W from 1926 with a 12’ Magnum by Rasson on the way (with their unbeatable slate levelling system).

To fill out this costly dog’s breakfast are two tables I made myself at the beginning in 1981when I thought custom hand-made pool tables were my business. But I opened in the first month of the 1981 recession - do you remember 19%-21% interest rates? - selling big ticket items. My first table had a child’s playhouse underneath in solid teak in the architectural style of Greene and Greene. Then art deco style in maple and cherry with gold leaf details and jade lozenges for diamonds. Becoming a poolhall saved the business, but I still wanted different luxury tables to sell from. So variety became my theme. And I love colour so - though you will really hate me now - I have eighteen different colours of cloth right now.

But all this works great for casual players and dates; they definitely have favourite tables based on aesthetics. Leather couches are a factor as well as the 8’x10’ painstaking murals on the walls. The bar and restaurant are drenched in the words of James Joyce as painted on the bar, tables and walls. And otherwise very comfortable. We are very busy and we charge $24cdn ($19us) weekend evenings for four players. The revenue mix is bar 44%; table time 34% (but no food/drink cost); food 16%; table cue etc sales & service work 6%.

The variety theme can be done on a shoestring by buying used furniture tables for 15% the cost of a Diamond, using various colours of cloth - it is very cheerful - and hiring high school artists to re-create large vanGough and Gauguin paintings.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Peacock Billiards in Victoria, BC, Canada is very successful with 1/12’ snooker, 1/10’ pool, 3/7’s, 1/os8’, and eighteen 9’s. For years we had 9/8’s and 13/9’s, then one day I checked the usage for the last two years. At the top were all the 9’s, followed by the 10’s and 12’s, the 8’s were all the least used.

I had always presumed that non-players would rationally choose the tables that were easier. But being 10% harder doesn’t matter to them, they don’t expect to make that many shots anyway The larger table gives them more real estate for their rental buck. And all styles look better when larger. Actual players were glad to have more 9’s, of course.

Serious players are not a serious part of the revenue, of course, plus they are fussy and demanding. Nonetheless I chose high end and technical tables and cloth, more for myself and my general luxury-loving public than for the serious. But, irritatingly, the tables are not all the same model with the same colour and kind of cloth.

I do have two Diamonds - 7’ oak Professional and 7’ black ProAm - and have probably the only three Unik tables in play in North America, one red, one blue, and one gold to match Simonis cloth colours. KSteel by Sam in Spain, Rasson's Victory and Ox, Olhausen's Hampton and Cavalier, 9' Eclipse and 10’ Arcade by Brunswick, four misc Chinese, Peter Vitalie’s Lord Nelson, Lenox and Bordeaux by World of Leisure, Aspen in walnut and Franciscan Mission in oak by Connelly.
The 12’ is B&W from 1926 with a 12’ Magnum by Rasson on the way (with their unbeatable slate levelling system).

To fill out this costly dog’s breakfast are two tables I made myself at the beginning in 1981when I thought custom hand-made pool tables were my business. But I opened in the first month of the 1981 recession - do you remember 19%-21% interest rates? - selling big ticket items. My first table had a child’s playhouse underneath in solid teak in the architectural style of Greene and Greene. Then art deco style in maple and cherry with gold leaf details and jade lozenges for diamonds. Becoming a poolhall saved the business, but I still wanted different luxury tables to sell from. So variety became my theme. And I love colour so - though you will really hate me now - I have eighteen different colours of cloth right now.

But all this works great for casual players and dates; they definitely have favourite tables based on aesthetics. Leather couches are a factor as well as the 8’x10’ painstaking murals on the walls. The bar and restaurant are drenched in the words of James Joyce as painted on the bar, tables and walls. And otherwise very comfortable. We are very busy and we charge $24cdn ($19us) weekend evenings for four players. The revenue mix is bar 44%; table time 34% (but no food/drink cost); food 16%; table cue etc sales & service work 6%.

The variety theme can be done on a shoestring by buying used furniture tables for 15% the cost of a Diamond, using various colours of cloth - it is very cheerful - and hiring high school artists to re-create large vanGough and Gauguin paintings.
Sounds like a place you could go to once & never wanna split,
‘cept maybe for some nourishment, a shower & change of clothes.

COVID finally took out the largest pool hall in Fresno that just closed.
It’s been here for a long time and had the largest tables setup too.

Last Sunday was the final day of business for Diamond Billiards.
The future for pool in the Central Valley is becoming very bleak.

A population of over a million people in the immediate area. We’re
now down to just a handful of pool halls with limited hours barely
hanging on. 3-4 years from now someone will open a new pool hall
but by that time, I have serious doubts there’d be any others around.

Attachments

• 8BA60944-2CFD-40C9-9C8B-7BB5E186C963.jpeg
    8BA60944-2CFD-40C9-9C8B-7BB5E186C963.jpeg
    180.6 KB · Views: 65