Joint collars

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this question has come up before in the forum.

I'd like some opinoins about joint collars on wood to wood joints. I'm thinking about adding joint collars, to my sneaky pete. My question is this: Would making that change, add, or take away from the way the cue hits, and what would be the best material to use, should i through with it?

Thanks
Eddie

david(tx)

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if this question has come up before in the forum.

I'd like some opinoins about joint collars on wood to wood joints. I'm thinking about adding joint collars, to my sneaky pete. My question is this: Would making that change, add, or take away from the way the cue hits, and what would be the best material to use, should i through with it?

Thanks
Eddie

If your talking about the black plastic collars , i couldn't help you with the difference in hit , or if they serve a practical purpose like supporting and strengthening the joint . If cue makers buy a standardized size collar it would help you buy a replacement shaft from various shaft makers .

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Just collars ?

You'll never know the difference. As long as they don't add enough to change the balance, you'll never feel it either.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
leave it alone
if it works now,it won't get better and
it might get worse

who cares what it looks like

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
leave it alone
if it works now,it won't get better and
it might get worse

who cares what it looks like

Thanks.

I was hoping joint collars would change the hit for the better. I thought maybe certain materials (other than ivory) would make a difference.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Is phenolic as hard as Ivory?

Phenolic is better but ivory is classier. Ivory is brittle but I would say harder and is prone to cracking.

The purpose of the joint collar is mainly to help prevent the wood from splitting, which it's prone to do near the joint. If you go with an all wood joint, it's really important that the joint screw does not fit too snugly and the cue is kept dry. Any swelling of the joint, the screw fits too tight and the wood can split. Also, turning it too much and too hard can do the same.

You can go with very short joint collars - say 1/2" on the joint and 1/4" on the shaft - which will accomplish what you want and maybe quiet the hit a bit. The joint has very little to do with the hit compared to the ferrule and tip. Some older wood is hard as a rock and it's going to be firm no matter what.

Best way to soften the hit of a cue is to change the ferrule to a softer ferrule and use a full length tip, something like French leather, maybe even add a fiber backing as an extra layer. A cue maker may be able to recommend something for you to soften up an otherwise harsh cue. You can even soften it up a litle by making the shaft have a longer taper from the tip side (pro taper).

Last edited:

RRfireblade

Grammer Are For Stupids
Silver Member
Collars was what i was thinking of doing. Did you have another suggestion?

Thanks, Eddie

Not really. Simple collars (Basically a sleeve) will make no practical difference to anything about the cue. Doesn't matter hard or soft. In your case it's purely cosmetic , you don't have them now and you don't need them. They will only add an amount of protection should you drop your shaft unscrewed on the joint.

Other than that , go with what ever you want it to look like. Generally they should match your you butt cap or something else on the cue but it's really up to you. Black, White, Tan phenolic. Ivory or Bone. Silver or SS. Even contrasting colored wood.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion is that any sleeved, flat-faced joint will have a minimal impact on how a cue plays. Capped flat-faced, depending on material, will have more of an impact, but only piloted joint configs can really affect a cue's "hit" all on its own.

-roger

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Joint Collars

Thanks :Spongebobfreak-Poolrules-David(Tx)-RRfireblade-Shelby500-Deanoc-TATE-buddah162
I appreciate you all taking time to reply to my thread, it's been a big help to me.
Eddiebme