Joss- 1968-1979- Post your Pictures Please!!!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Following your comments below, helping a fella date his cues. What does your eye tell you about mine? Who would you think is the maker or perhaps it was often a group effort? Thank you in advance for any help.
There are so many things to know. The early years of Janes and Stroud cues were pretty much 57 inch. They did a lot of ivory joint cues, steel also. The joint collars had the railroad track pattern of dashes and veneers. When Bill left, Dan went with a single maple block dash joint collar, still 57 inch standard. Then mid 70s came, back to the railroad look for the joint collars. 57 inch, still the standard through about 1978. Almost all buttplates white delrin up to this point, some implex. Looked like ivory, but wasn't.

After that, all hell broke loose. Tim Scruggs went on his own in 1978. The popular window designs went away entirely. Dan Janes with Joss looked sort of the same through the Diamond Series in about 1981, then changed everything in about 1984, solid black collar joint rings and different butt plate, CNC points.

Bottom line, you have to show a cue, and some people here can recognize the vintage. Not a lot of people, but some.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Following your comments below, helping a fella date his cues. What does your eye tell you about mine? Who would you think is the maker or perhaps it was often a group effort? Thank you in advance for any help.
It occurred to me that I didn't try to put a date on your cue. I would say something like 1974 to 1975, given the joint collars, and the fact that it still has the KU brown bumper on it. Joss stopped using the KU bumper in about mid 1976. Of course others are free to give an opinion.

There are many factors though, including refinishing, a different bumper, a rewrap, etc. But I would put it in the mid 70s.

All the best,
WW

Hubbahubby123

1693686448352.jpeg

Cheesmond

It occurred to me that I didn't try to put a date on your cue. I would say something like 1974 to 1975, given the joint collars, and the fact that it still has the KU brown bumper on it. Joss stopped using the KU bumper in about mid 1976. Of course others are free to give an opinion.

There are many factors though, including refinishing, a different bumper, a rewrap, etc. But I would put it in the mid 70s.

All the best,
WW
Thanks very much WildWing! I secretly hope this was a Scruggs cue but either way, it's a great player.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Thanks very much WildWing! I secretly hope this was a Scruggs cue but either way, it's a great player.
You're welcome. If I have the time period right, and I think I do, Tim Scruggs would have had a hand in your cue. According to Tim later on, he did most of the butt work, and Dan Janes did most of the shaft work, though of course either could do both. So I think both Scruggs and Janes built your cue.

All the best,
WW

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i dont recall if i bought this cue in the early 1970's or early 1980's
i do remember calling dan janes and asking him to make me a cue without a logo
he said OK
its 57 inches
i did not tell him this but since joss cues had a great reputation i did not want anyone to know i was playing with one
i thought i was a hustler at that time and could not run 3 balls 😂
i know its not fancy but its the first cue i bought and has alot of sentimental value to me
joss cue.jpg
joss front.jpg
joss butt.jpg
joss joint protectors 2.png

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
i dont recall if i bought this cue in the early 1970's or early 1980's
i do remember calling dan janes and asking him to make me a cue without a logo
he said OK
its 57 inches
i did not tell him this but since joss cues had a great reputation i did not want anyone to know i was playing with one
i thought i was a hustler at that time and could not run 3 balls 😂
i know its not fancy but its the first cue i bought and has alot of sentimental value to me
View attachment 717250View attachment 717251View attachment 717252View attachment 717253
It's early to mid 80s. Single black joint collars, butt plate not delrin. They switched in that timeframe, and slightly rounded points. Very nice cue.

All the best,
WW

Reactions: bbb