Joss (east) Who plays with one ??

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
A lot of my friends just love Joss east cues with the stock shaft. Some have a 314 on them....I also see a few pro's use them and so does Shane Van Boeing....Who out there use's a Joss and why do you like it so much ?? Just curious.......
 
I use a Joss (I don't know the difference between a Joss and a Joss East if there is one), but to be honest, I'm not entirely happy with it. I prefer something with a little bit more whip so that I can put more english on the cueball with less effort. As you probably know Joss's hit VERY stiff which make it a little harder to put extreme spin on the ball. I'm actually thinking of selling it soon. I think I would get a Predator or a Schon if I got a new cue.
 
Sire380 said:
I use a Joss (I don't know the difference between a Joss and a Joss East if there is one), but to be honest, I'm not entirely happy with it. I prefer something with a little bit more whip so that I can put more english on the cueball with less effort. As you probably know Joss's hit VERY stiff which make it a little harder to put extreme spin on the ball. I'm actually thinking of selling it soon. I think I would get a Predator or a Schon if I got a new cue.

cueball action is 90% stroke.
 
I don't agree with that, believe me I've practiced a long time on my fundamentals and I'm able to get extreme english with my Joss, but I've tried other cues and it requires a little bit more effort with the Joss. For the sake of argument, lets just say that I want that extra 10%.
 
I played with a custom Joss for alot of years, and miss it more than any other cue Ive ever held. Joss cues are great, they are being a little more mass produced these days than they used to be...... but they are still very good quality.
Danny Janes is a VERY knowledgable cue maker, a front runner in the industry for his entire career. Back in the beginning days of Joss Cues, alot of heavy hitters played with them... guys like
Joe Balsis
Nick Varner
Mike Sigel
Eddie Taylor
jim Rempe
Wimpy Lassiter
etc etc etc.
As far as cueball action. Alot of it is about the stroke, not about the cue. But the stroke is at its peak performance with a cue that feels good in the hands. ;)
Chuck
 
Sire380 said:
I don't agree with that, believe me I've practiced a long time on my fundamentals and I'm able to get extreme english with my Joss, but I've tried other cues and it requires a little bit more effort with the Joss. For the sake of argument, lets just say that I want that extra 10%.

i would definitely go with the predator then. the schon might be stiffer then your current joss :)
 
OK, thanks for the advice. That's the kind of info I'm after. How each cue hits. I think I will go with the predator in that case.
 
I played with a Joss East one factory shaft for 2 years on and off, it took me from a C+ to B- player during that time, I didnt have alot of talent so I came up slowly but, still today I think its the best playing production cue. For $300, it dosent play like a Szam but alot better than other production cues, I had one bill stroud cue joss west-it was terrible, he is a great cue maker it was just a bad cue.
 
My .02

I have owned two of Dan Janes Joss East cues. They both played JAM UP in my opinion. Joss East is one of the finest production cues ever made. The 1 I have now belonged to Jim Rempe. I put a Moori Quick tip on it and can get all the JAZ on the cue ball I need. That's the cue above the postor in my avatar. JMHO
Don (Purdman) Purdy ;)
 
I played with a Joss for a long time before I bought my Dale Perry. To be honest, Something inside is not the same anymore. I loved the hit, It was awesome. I think I'm going to get another one.
 
Ralf Souquet plays with one & I would say he plays pretty well ;). I just bought one of the Joss flat-face radial pin cues (must be new) & it also plays well.
 
I play with a Joss, given to me on my birthday was the first and only cue I've ever owned. I like the way it hits compared to the few others my friends have(nothing real nice, a meucci is the only notable). I believe I've been spoiled since my very first cue was a pretty darn good one, especially for the price. I sometimes think of upgrading but from my experience, be it limited, I've not really seen anything better dollar for dollar.
 
Sire380 said:
I use a Joss (I don't know the difference between a Joss and a Joss East if there is one), but to be honest, I'm not entirely happy with it. I prefer something with a little bit more whip so that I can put more english on the cueball with less effort. As you probably know Joss's hit VERY stiff which make it a little harder to put extreme spin on the ball. I'm actually thinking of selling it soon. I think I would get a Predator or a Schon if I got a new cue.

Before you sell it, try a Sniper tip on it.
And if you try the Sniper and you still don't get enough English, change to a pro taper and you will get the whip you want. No need to spend the extra money and change to another cue.

JoeyA (send me twenty)
 
I like them, buy 2 or 3 a year and always end up selling them and then missing them. Had a 20+ year one I recently sold, miss it. Have a old joss shaft I keep in my case that I use when I buy them. Love that shaft.

hey...anyone have one for sale cheap?
 
cubswin said:
I like them, buy 2 or 3 a year and always end up selling them and then missing them. Had a 20+ year one I recently sold, miss it. Have a old joss shaft I keep in my case that I use when I buy them. Love that shaft.

hey...anyone have one for sale cheap?


Define cheap.....;)
 
I think Joss East, so called because Bill Stroud had gone on his own as Joss West, is now called Joss Cues LTD. I don't see the exact date in the Blue Book, but Dan bought Bill out in 1972. According to the book, a Joss East logo was never incorporated, but that's how the players referred to Dan's cues until he started calling the company Joss Cues LTD. I owned a cue made in the frame of time between when Bill left and the company name changed, I THINK around 1976 or 1977. The cue was hand built, not production and there is NO comparison with it and the production cues. One of the few cues I've owned in my playing career that I wish I still owned.
 
Methodman201 said:
I played with a Joss for a long time before I bought my Dale Perry. To be honest, Something inside is not the same anymore. I loved the hit, It was awesome. I think I'm going to get another one.

I love my Joss East, BB King, Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf! Today, Keb Mo hits a cord with me also.
Purdman:D
 
FWIW, I understand TNcountryboy here on AZB is a dealer for Joss East. I've never run across one myself and can't add much wisdom here but wouldn't hesitate to contact TNcountryboy / Claudell with any questions or interest.
 
Last edited:
I think it was sometime just after Dan started making production cues and calling the company Joss Cue LTD, that Earl Strickland started playing with one. He and someone from Joss were at one of the BC Open tournaments, and Earl told several of us who were listening that "I think he makes as good a cue as Szamboti!"
Unfortunately, at the next tournament he played in, Earl broke his Joss over his knee, and that was the end of that.
 
Back
Top