Joss ivory joint help

morenokra

Registered
Hi everybody, i have this Joss from 10/11 years, i bought it at Us Open in Chesapeeak, it' s my play cue and i don't want to sell but, i would like to know something about the story of this cue, i try to find information on AZ and on Joss, joint and all white inlays are ivory and the original shaft have ivory ferrule but i prefere to play with my Bollman's shaft, i contact mr.Dan but he said me that due he built thousands cues he can not remember all.
Thank you

Attachments

• received_10208457640338709.jpeg
    received_10208457640338709.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 474
  • received_10208457638578665.jpeg
    received_10208457638578665.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 475
  • received_10208457638898673.jpeg
    received_10208457638898673.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 454
  • received_10208457639058677.jpeg
    received_10208457639058677.jpeg
    82 KB · Views: 468
  • received_10208457639018676.jpeg
    received_10208457639018676.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 467

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice Joss. Since Dan Janes does not remember, unless someone knows that individual cue it will be difficult to pin down.

Curious: Does it have sharp points?

EDIT: Just noticed points look rounded, CNC.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It does look like a later Joss ivory joint cue, which most were piloted joint.

Though you don't show it, I doubt your original shaft ferrules are ivory. The Joss standard pretty much stopped that a long time ago, unless maybe you asked for them. They went to Aegis a long time ago, now another composite.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for, maybe value? Several hundred dollars, probably. There are a lot of these out there, definitely nice cues, but not extremely valuable.

All the best,
WW

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
For me, for Joss "East", it's strange to have a prong with an outer veneer with a radius but the inners sharp, sharp inlays in the sleeve, AND no Joss logo in the hope ring.. May be a custom.. That'd be my guess..

morenokra

Registered
I'm not interested about value because i'll never sell this cue, it' just to know something about it...it's a strange joss ��

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, for Joss "East", it's strange to have a prong with an outer veneer with a radius but the inners sharp, sharp inlays in the sleeve, AND no Joss logo in the hope ring.. May be a custom.. That'd be my guess..

They have actually done many with rounded outer points with sharp inner veneered points. It's a CNC point with a sharp recut. I think it's a Joss thing. I have seen numerous.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see two main optional stories here. One, Dan made it in his spare time. He makes whatever he likes as he likes "on the side". Two, it was a custom order.

If Dan does not remember it, then it was unlikely one of his pet side cues.

He would probably remember a custom order too. This is a late model cue.

So...my guess is it was a custom order and Stephen Janes made it. Ask him.

Last possibility is somebody put a Joss bumper on a Joss-like cue. I find this highly unlikely. I know Joss cues pretty well. Those points, as I explained in my earlier post, as well as other features are dead on Joss.

Value? Typically not a lot. This cue was built with the threaded Joss stepped core most likely. IMHO they are an excellent value. One of the best going probably.

We have seen broken Schon and Mezz cues lately in the cuemaker forum. If you care what's inside your cue go look at those. Consider how much those cues cost.
Then go look at Joss.

And I am no modern Joss fanboy. I don't even own a modern Joss. I just think Dan Janes and his current product are heavily under rated and under valued.

My own prized possession was made by Dan. Not Bill. Not Tim. And it is a seriously awesome cue. People constantly try to link their block letter Joss cues to Bill or Tim. Why? Value. If you know your Joss you know which ones are fibbing. And you know why.

Lastly, it isn't entirely unlikely the ferrules are ivory. Joss still builds with ivory when requested. Not elephant, mammoth. Dan himself offered it on my build a couple years ago...in fact he recommended it.

I have not pulled the trigger on that build. Many have tried to tell me to pick a "better" cue maker. That's sad I think. When they recommend it they cite resale value. I honestly don't care about that. How much longer will he be building? That's what I care about.

Janes. Joss.
Rempe
Sigel
Varner
More

That's a serious legacy.

Then consider Bill and Tim came out of that shop.

The owner digs this cue and does not seem to care what it is worth. I appreciate that.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
They have actually done many with rounded outer points with sharp inner veneered points. It's a CNC point with a sharp recut. I think it's a Joss thing. I have seen numerous.

Fern, I know what it is, it's my job..lol.. ;)..You see THAT more normally with Bill Stoud's cues than Dan's... What IS special is the combonation of that AND sharp inlays in the sleeve AND no logo in the Hoppe ring... The combonation is what's special..

By the way, it's not a "recut" as you may think...

Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

True. But you know what I mean anyway. Joss has actually done numerous like that.

The cue is indeed an interesting and perhaps fairly unique combination of features For Joss. But certainly none of those features are not joss.

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
True. But you know what I mean anyway. Joss has actually done numerous like that.

The cue is indeed an interesting and perhaps fairly unique combination of features For Joss. But certainly none of those features are not joss.

Yep :).......

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fern, I know what it is, it's my job..lol.. ;)..You see THAT more normally with Bill Stoud's cues than Dan's... What IS special is the combonation of that AND sharp inlays in the sleeve AND no logo in the Hoppe ring... The combonation is what's special..

Oh....and I was out for Cinco de Mayo...

I typed a couple relatively coherent posts and rode my Harley home (I just checked, it is in the garage). There has to be some kind of prize for that. :grin:

So don't call me Fern...it makes me sound like some kind of potted plant or something. :mad::embarrassed2::grin-square:

Anyway, I know you don't dig on such cues, but this cue is interesting I think.

An internally sleeved joint collar? On a modern Joss? It does make one think it is an ivory joint collar. I don't know that I have ever seen a Joss sleeved like that.

But there is no serial number. Makes one wonder if that joint collar was added by somebody.... :confused:

Lots of little things there. I would love to see better pics.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
So don't call me Fern...it makes me sound like some kind of potted plant or something.

An internally sleeved joint collar? On a modern Joss? It does make one think it is an ivory joint collar. I don't know that I have ever seen a Joss sleeved like that.

Knowing Tim, I think he may have meant to say Vern, rather than Fern. Remember the old commercials: Know what I mean, Vern... Anyhow just guessing. I think you both have good senses of humor.

You hit on the most unusual aspect of this cue. The internal joint collar. I've never seen that on a Joss either. Ever. This happens with the Tascarellas, and maybe a few others, but I've never seen it on a Joss. I've also seen the top steel plate on the Black Boars, but that's different.

Have to say, this is one interesting cue. Still haven't seen the ivory ferrules either...

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He meant Fern...he knows my real name. Hint: ABBA sang about me. :D Lol!

Anyway, yeah, that joint collar definitely stands out as the most odd characteristic of this cue.

More and better pics, including the ferrules, would be nice.

morenokra

Registered
More pics

Hi guys if would like more pics in any position ask

Attachments

• 20170507_150014.jpg
    20170507_150014.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 146
  • 20170507_145541.jpg
    20170507_145541.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20170507_145314.jpg
    20170507_145314.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 20170507_145520.jpg
    20170507_145520.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20170507_145215.jpg
    20170507_145215.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 142

morenokra

Registered
More joint pics

Attachments

• 20170507_151023_HDR.jpg
    20170507_151023_HDR.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 20170507_151007_HDR.jpg
    20170507_151007_HDR.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 137

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the additional pics. :smile:

Ferrule has grain...certainly could be ivory.

Harder to tell on joint collar. Pics not so great. But when I lean back in my chair using my big monitor, I see grain.

Of course, there are synthetic materials with grain, so I'll just say the joint and ferrule material has grain and leave it at that. (I want to think it is ivory though)

Pin looks Joss.

Points look Joss.

End of butt with bumper removed looks Joss.

Wide space between points at the wrap looks Joss.

Forearm wood is typical of Joss, they use a lot of curly. Janes does not like birdseye, hasn't for a long time.

In general the work looks Joss. Pretty cleanly done, darn nice finish. A little bit of glue lines in the points but not disastrous or ragged looking, typical of Joss.

Obviously, the bumper says Joss. :wink:

Sleeve inside the joint collar? WTF? On a Joss? And what is that material? Looks black. A phenoloc of some sort? :confused:

That joint, IMHO, makes this a very interesting and unique Joss if it is original.

morenokra

Registered
Joint is ivory 100% i'm sure of this because i spend a lot of time with a cue maker in Bolzano in north of Italy or better how he like....south Austria hihihihi and i had in my hand a lot of ivory, elefant and mammouth.
As i told in my first post, i bought this cue at US Open 2006 or 2007 but i don't remember who was the seller and any cue's feedback about any works made before become mine, what i was thinking it's that in 2004 i have played in the European Championships and i did some shoot with a BB of one player was playing there too and was so similar, similar thar's all, as i told before i don' t want sell this cue because i bought it with my best friend that pass away last year and for me have no prize but i would like to know more about because i have never saw in my life a Joss like this.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I certainly can't refute the joint is Ivory.

I wish I knew something about the cue to tell you. I think it is a great cue and you certainly have reason to cherish it as it is connected to the friend you lost.

Hopefully someone will see it here and remember something about it.

I suggested before to specifically ask Stephen Janes since Dan does not remember the cue.