Joss Weight Bolt Puzzle.

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
I have a Joss cue that has a cracked butt cap that I need to replace. I removed the rubber bumber and there is a weight bolt with a standard bolt head that is recessed into the plastic. I've tried every socket that I have, standard and deep and I can't get one with walls thin enough to get in the recess and on the bolt head and there's no way to get any other type of wrench on it as far as I can tell. Has anybody come across one of these and is there some way to get the bolt out that I'm not seeing? I'm replacing the butt cap anyway so I can just destroy the old one and turn the recess away with the lathe but I just wondered if there was another way for future reference. They got it in there so it must come out with some kind of tool but it wasn't any kind of normal socket that I own.

Thanks,

Ken

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
I chucked up a 3/8 drive, 9/16" socket and trimmed to OD to fit.
Still have the socket though don't use it too much anymore.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Zagiflyer said:
I have a Joss cue that has a cracked butt cap that I need to replace. I removed the rubber bumber and there is a weight bolt with a standard bolt head that is recessed into the plastic. I've tried every socket that I have, standard and deep and I can't get one with walls thin enough to get in the recess and on the bolt head and there's no way to get any other type of wrench on it as far as I can tell. Has anybody come across one of these and is there some way to get the bolt out that I'm not seeing? I'm replacing the butt cap anyway so I can just destroy the old one and turn the recess away with the lathe but I just wondered if there was another way for future reference. They got it in there so it must come out with some kind of tool but it wasn't any kind of normal socket that I own.

Thanks,

Ken

Ken, you can also just cut the butt cap down to the bolt and just grab it and unscrew it. I have not worked on a Joss for a while, but I think the weight bolt is 3/8 - 16 thread. So you can just replace it with a different weight bolt when you put the new butt cap on. Also, be prepared for a very short tenon so it helps to tighten the weight bolt into the new butt cap to hold it in place until the adhesive dries.

Take Care

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
KJ Cues said:
I chucked up a 3/8 drive, 9/16" socket and trimmed to OD to fit.
Still have the socket though don't use it too much anymore.

I had to do the same thing for one cue years ago. Just put one of your sockets (preferably a cheap one) in your meal lathe and turn its OD until it fits into the buttcap recess.

Zagiflyer

Mr. 15
Silver Member
Thanks guys, I don't understand why they didn't just make the recess a little larger so a normal socket would fit. I feel the same way about all of the goofy thread pitches that makers come up with so the standard tooling that most people have can't be used to spin the cue, make new shafts, etc. I guess these companies are trying to get all their repair work to come back to them.