JOY Q8 Chinese 8 Ball Table - quick impressions

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got a chance to play a couple hours on this beast,

https://www.joybilliards.store/q8

possibly the best table I've ever played on by a long shot, rails rebound like a laser off a mirror and the cloth should be the new standard, hard to go back to the skidding slippin and slidin of simonis , eye test only, also seems just as fast as simonis, guessing that has something to do wit the better "grip" of the cloth,

looks drop dead gorgeous in person, just stunning, some might not like the gold colored legs and accents

seemingly built like a tank at a listed 2000 pounds

because it was a group setting in someone's private home I couldn't run it through ts paces, I really wanted to "slow roll" test it as the Diamond one piece slate is the king of that, I did try some real slow shots that rolled damn near perfect though

I couldn't test how sturdy it was but it seemed like the most tank like table ever

many of you are familiar with the pros and cons of this type of table,

if you can't get used to the cut of the pockets you won't like it, many pool shots just can't be made, snooker players will like this alot more than your average pool player, and also appreciate the "thud" of a strongly forced object ball into a snooker style leather pocket, very satisfying sound

long term who knows how this table might hold up, the whole having to iron the cloth seems like that part would suck too

only 5k list but import fees will likely double that

I want one!

https://www.joybilliards.store/q8

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
From time to time I like to jump on one. From certain angles you might as well just bank the ball because they don't go at almost any speed. The sides are a little more forgiving. On the rail with the bigger pool ball it's virtually if not almost impossible unless the table roll helps you in.

Bank super true.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got some follow up time

banks are super true, all balls roll true also

cloth is Strachan No. 10 Tournament Snooker Cloth 6811 which appears to be best of best in that realm

I'm thinking a Diamond Table with this cloth might be a cool way to go

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
From time to time I like to jump on one. From certain angles you might as well just bank the ball because they don't go at almost any speed. The sides are a little more forgiving. On the rail with the bigger pool ball it's virtually if not almost impossible unless the table roll helps you in.

Bank super true.

Rail shots are not impossible at all. They are very difficult, but once you find the correct speed and correct way to aim, they do go. But it's much like a match snooker table: You are somewhat limited in what you can do when you are on the rail. Watch the snooker matches on youtube to see what you are supposed to do. The toughest shots on the tables are when the ball is just off the rail and has a long way to the pocket.

I'm playing on these tables daily. I think the best part about them is the very thick slate. Just evens everything out. The balls roll very nicely. The cloth is nice too. It's always a bit of a let-down to go back to 760. Wool cloth is so much nicer, even with a slight nap on there. Sadly it does wear faster, so that's a minus.

The banks being true is another thing that takes a little getting used to. But once you do, it's hard to go back to short banking reverse-mania on a Brunswick...Not to speak of Diamond sillyness.

I love the fact that the sides play very nice. You can really play proper patterns on these tables. If you know what you are doing you can sometimes play stop shot patterns with perfect control, which is also often needed to get out.

Overall C8b is almost the perfect game. It has tactics, a big break, tough pockets, and the equipment is awesome. You can even shoot jump shots, which is good for those of us who have spent a lot of time practising those.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I’m sorry but I grew up playing snooker. Down the rail is not the same. On a snooker table a medium firm perfectly hit ball will go.

On a CB8 it’s drop dead pocket speed or it doesn’t. If you think you can grab your phone a show me. You don’t even need to shoot the ball. Just plant to balls in the rail and use a third to make the combo. Firm doesn’t go. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m sorry but I grew up playing snooker. Down the rail is not the same. On a snooker table a medium firm perfectly hit ball will go.

On a CB8 it’s drop dead pocket speed or it doesn’t. If you think you can grab your phone a show me. You don’t even need to shoot the ball. Just plant to balls in the rail and use a third to make the combo. Firm doesn’t go. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not surprising given the difference in ball size c8b vs snooker

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
got some follow up time

banks are super true, all balls roll true also

cloth is Strachan No. 10 Tournament Snooker Cloth 6811 which appears to be best of best in that realm

I'm thinking a Diamond Table with this cloth might be a cool way to go
Bit then when you go play out n about, you have different conditions.

Gotta practice like you play.

Nobody cares what you do when you play with yourself. :eek: