JS Pro Golfer?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Following the JS runs, and came across this, which I guess is his wife?

Felicity Wimperis Schmidt
·
3:43:04
John could have easily been a Pro Golfer… fate brought pool into his life…he took to it like a duck to water

Takes a ton of balls to say that. I know he plays golf pretty well, but as golfers know, there is a HUGE hill between guy who plays pretty well and PGA card holder.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

·
John could have easily been a Pro Golfer… fate brought pool into his life…he took to it like a duck to water

Takes a ton of balls to say that. I know he plays golf pretty well, but as golfers know, there is a HUGE hill between guy who plays pretty well and PGA card holder.
He told me once that he would have had trouble making the Nike Tour (now Korn Ferry tour). He's played with guys on that tour and he said they are much better than him.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right! Golf is incredibly difficult to become a success as a touring pro. It is not as difficult to end up at a club somewhere as the resident "golf pro" - but to actually make a good living in golf competition is a very small percentage of the best golfers in the world.

I have heard other U.S. pro pool players make this claim as well- take it all with a grain of salt.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s worth mentioning that you can be a pro golfer without playing on the PGA tour. The top guys on the Korn Ferry tour earn well over $500,000 in a season. The minimum purse right now is $750,000 for an event and is scheduled to bump up to $1 million next year.

There are lots of smaller professional tours out there as well. Like pool, a lot of guys struggle to make ends meet playing golf professionally, but you don’t have to be on TV every Sunday to do it…

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sure that there are a million wives who think that their husband could have been a "pro something" based upon the exaggerations from their husbands. I hear those " should have been" " would have been" stories all the time at the community center from many different guys, and I am nobody's wife:):)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can also make big $$ as the head pro at a decent country club. Club pros also get to play in quite few events that pay ok. There are 20 cp's playing this week here in Tulsa at the PGA. Big deal for those guys.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can also make big $$ as the head pro at a decent country club. Club pros also get to play in quite few events that pay ok. There are 20 cp's playing this week here in Tulsa at the PGA. Big deal for those guys.
I love watching those guys play. Cool to see Tiger make the cut limping around the course, too.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference between a scratch amateur and a tour pro is the same as the difference between lightning and a lightning bug. No comparison.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums
Avg tour pro is roughly a +6 hdcp. That's insanely good.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

·

I remember Archer (I think) put out a challenge, pool and golf match, with anyone EXCEPT Schmidt hehe. Schmidt is the best pool player golfer, I think by a decent margin.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Archer (I think) put out a challenge, pool and golf match, with anyone EXCEPT Schmidt hehe. Schmidt is the best pool player golfer, I think by a decent margin.
Archer is better than Earl at golf? I heard Corey Deuel is also a good golfer

middleofnowhere

Registered
Not every pro golfer out there is the most talented, many make a very good living and maybe have never won a tournament that amounted to anything.

I don't know John personally but I know people like John and he seems like a guy who if he dedicated himself to something he would be successful at it.

If he's got some talant I have no doubt he's the kind of person that probably could be a pro golfer even if not a champion if that had been his desire.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
JS is the best, or at least was. I've heard a pro player say that Earl could have been a pro golfer and just laughed.

JS used to post here, a long time ago. I think that is where he mentioned he has shot rounds of 63 which is amazing golf. He then went on to say he played with Boo Weekley, and played well and shot around par. Boo shot 65, made it look simple, and was one of the worst putters on the pro tour. John never said he could compete with the top pros.

Given the prize money, number of players in the world with high school and college teams, coaches and sponsors, the level of play in top pro golf is just different. A very small percentage of people attempt to play serious pool, massive numbers of people play golf and to make it to the top is brutally hard.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Schmidt on his golf game and golf vs. pool:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Anybody know how good Kim Davenport played golf?…..I know he gambled at it