"Juiced/Trick" Cue Ball or Extraterrestial Stroke

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, would a "drawn" cue ball, with silicone applied, be expected to radically change direction?

Depends on your definition of radically change direction. The link is to a shot Mike Massey is demoing called the circular draw, which is a 10 point draw shot in our program. Is this what you are talking about?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Depends on your definition of radically change direction. The link is to a shot Mike Massey is demoing called the circular draw, which is a 10 point draw shot in our program. Is this what you are talking about?

That's plain old draw (with maybe some inside masse spin). It only seems like more because it caroms into the rail before rebounding and reversing.

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So, would a "drawn" cue ball, with silicone applied, be expected to radically change direction?
With silicone the ball will curve over a much longer arc and if drawn straight back will accelerate more slowly and for longer. Either of these can make it appear that the ball is doing several separate steps. If the ball is also hopping some from the force of the shot, it will change direction each time it lands.

Did the cue ball you're thinking of hit anything or was it in the open table?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
No, not close: cb reversing from ob at 180 degrees for 1 to 2 feet, then cutting at 90 or 270 degrees for 1 to 2 feet, plus possible additional cut at 180 degrees.

Open table. Cue ball struck object ball, and then ran backwards, sideways, backwards. I looked for videos of Jack White but found only one which was instructional -- no tricks or showboating.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, not close: cb reversing from ob at 180 degrees for 1 to 2 feet, then cutting at 90 or 270 degrees for 1 to 2 feet, plus possible additional cut at 180 degrees.

Open table. Cue ball struck object ball, and then ran backwards, sideways, backwards. I looked for videos of Jack White but found only one which was instructional -- no tricks or showboating.

Trying to visualize the description. Do you mean the cue ball going in an S trajectory after hitting the object ball?

A diagram would be great.

Putting silicon on a cue ball just makes it spin faster and for longer. The satellite masse is a good example of the cue ball keeping that spin through the shot and then catching after the cue ball slows down enough for the spin to take. I am attaching a video of that. Now I have seen Florian and others do this dry, which is stupid.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
My gut feeling is that Scott Lee is familiar with what I am describing when he uses "crazy draw shots" above. The shots were "crazy" in that it was difficult to believe what you just observed -- still is, which is why I am questioning. It still leaves me shaking my head. Anyone who ever attended one of Jack White's shows should have seen these crazy draw shots -- he performed them at each of the three shows I saw and they were damned impressive, at least to me.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not an S, but an L, or reverse L -- 90 degree cuts (not turns) -- like a UFO (lol).
That doesn't happen with a normal ball. Some balls are weighted with mercury for similar effects, but even those cannot make a 90-degree sharp turn and in fact two turns in opposite directions, which seems to be what you are describing.

My conclusion: trick ball.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That doesn't happen with a normal ball. Some balls are weighted with mercury for similar effects, but even those cannot make a 90-degree sharp turn and in fact two turns in opposite directions, which seems to be what you are describing.

My conclusion: trick ball.

Agree with Bob here. If it is a sharp 90 degree turn then yeah it has to be a trick ball. As stated before, adding silicon just makes the cue ball spin faster and longer. If won't let the cue ball turn 90 degrees like that.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Trying to visualize the description. Do you mean the cue ball going in an S trajectory after hitting the object ball?

A diagram would be great.

Putting silicon on a cue ball just makes it spin faster and for longer. The satellite masse is a good example of the cue ball keeping that spin through the shot and then catching after the cue ball slows down enough for the spin to take. I am attaching a video of that. Now I have seen Florian and others do this dry, which is stupid.

Pretty cool vid... thanks!

pj
chgo

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pretty cool vid... thanks!

pj
chgo
The first time I saw that, it was on a carom table by Rojas. I was sitting near Semih Sayginer, who at that point had never used silicone in his exhibitions. "Silicone!" was his comment and he was correct. Rojas had a special cloth for cleaning the balls every few shots. Now the shot has gotten into the official artistic billiards program (no silicone):

CropperCapture[179].jpg

This shot was also originally done with grease. It's amazing when it dives after the second cushion.
CropperCapture[180].jpg

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The first time I saw that, it was on a carom table by Rojas. I was sitting near Semih Sayginer, who at that point had never used silicone in his exhibitions. "Silicone!" was his comment and he was correct. Rojas had a special cloth for cleaning the balls every few shots. Now the shot has gotten into the official artistic billiards program (no silicone):

View attachment 573817
This shot was also originally done with grease. It's amazing when it dives after the second cushion.
View attachment 573818
I saw Semih do an exhibition during a 3C tournament at Chris's here in Chicago 20-some years ago. Some of his shots looked a lot like those.

He also ran a 20 in that tournament, the record at that time for US tournament play.

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree with Bob here. If it is a sharp 90 degree turn then yeah it has to be a trick ball. As stated before, adding silicon just makes the cue ball spin faster and longer. If won't let the cue ball turn 90 degrees like that.
You can also stripe the ball with silicone to produce various effects, especially if you could master slow horizontal rotation.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Jack White at least 3 times. Most amazing stroke. What Mike Massey and Larry Nevel do with muscle, Jack did with finesse. He explains
his stroke in his book.
Frankenstroke...You are SOOOO correct! Jack knew all about cue weight and timing! It's what I've been teaching for more than 30 years...and it works, even on the break!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are a few examples of what you can do with a weighted CB:

Enjoy,
Dave
Dave...Jack White never used anything other than ordinary cueballs...no weighted balls and no silicone.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour