Jump cues, recommendations needed.

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, I've been looking into jump cues lately, and this got me wondering, what makes a good jump cue? What makes some jump cues so famous, like Predator Air 2 and Mezz air drive? What would you recommend for me to get my hands on?
I use Players J/B now, but I'd like to upgrade a bit when I have some extra cash to spend, and I'd like to be sure what to get :smile:
Tip tips welcome too, Samsara and Taom are all over the forums now, are there any others that are good for the task :confused:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A good jump cue typically has extremely high deflection. Hence very high tip end mass seems to be desirable.

A jump break cue is the opposite of what you want. The qualities in a break cue and a jump cue are totally opposed to one another, except for a hard tip.

I strongly recommend the Jacoby jump cue. It has a G10 tip (very hard, almost no maintenance), a brass ferrule (lots of weight up near the tip where you want it), and a nice design and build quality. I have never used a jump cue that jumped anywhere near as well.

KMRUNOUT

DJ14.1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keep your J/B cue and use it for certain jump shots. Then buy a nice dedicated jump cue for the majority of jump shots. Alot of people on this forum favor Jacoby and Lomax for dedicated jump cues. I can attest to the performance of the Jacoby, it's excellent. The extended version of the cue can execute all manner of jumps very well.

2strong4u

Banned
Predator air 2 shot with overhand dart method is superb. I can jump with draw for position or follow to perform multi rail jump kicks. I'm clearing a full ball easily from 4 inches back with precision. It's a game changer for me many times over.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Best one, still available, I've had was the lucasi l200jc. Well actually the best one was the varney death threat jump/break, but I sold that.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Or buy a set of balls and learn how to kick. Sorry, the devil made me type it.:p Johnnyt

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the replies :thumbup: I will try to find some place where i could test some out, keep the recommendations coming, it's good to hear some honest opinions on these, as the manufacturers are all saying their cues are the best :D

And Johnnyt, I already have a set ;) Jumping is not just practical, but fun too. Respect to you, I've read about your game, and I'm sure you would kick my @ss in 9-ball, with or without jump cues :D

BogeyFree

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take a good look at the OB Lift. Nice and light, well balanced and jumps effortlessly. I had a Jacoby and although it jumped good I found the G10 tip was nicking up my cloth.

Chops02

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i haven't personally tried a lomax, but i've heard nothing but good things.
personally, i've got an ob lift pro (the one with the little extension) and i absolutely love it. i get a bit more control of the cue than i did with my older jump break that i had. i've had quite a few other people try my ob and loved it as well.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love my Jacoby, super easy to jump even really tight ones. I definitely think the brass ferrule helps.

pipefitter25

Registered
i have a Mezz airshooter and very happy with it. but i tried a diamondwood jump cue and hands down 10 times better than the Mezz. Cant speak for other jump cues

pogmothoin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried several jump cues and the only one that consistently works for me is the Alex Brick dymondwood jump cue.

I have terrible technique but the 6 oz shaft seems to really helps me lift the ball.