Jump Cues.....what's the best out there right now.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I have tried all types and I find the Propel to be the easiest to use on the greatest variety of jump shots

I have an Air Hog that I'm considering changing the tip to the Taom tip that the Propel uses.

I just watched a guy jump over and over with the Air Hog. It's probably a lot to do with my stroke.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
If your tip is “slipping off“ the cue ball, I think it’s your technique more than the tip.

I think you may be hitting it at too much of an oblique angle. You may need to be hitting more directly into the cue ball.

I don't doubt that one bit. I could probably use a lesson on jumping from someone that really knows what they're doing.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't doubt that one bit. I could probably use a lesson on jumping from someone that really knows what they're doing.
It’s also worth mentioning that a more “grippy” tip makes accuracy much more challenging.

Because you’re striking down on the cue ball at a steep angle, any strike that is the least off center imparts swerve to the cue ball, as in a masse. The grippier the tip, the more unintended swerve. For a longer shot, it can easily cause a complete miss even on an otherwise fairly well executed jump.

Unless my intent is to draw the cue ball on a relatively short jump, or to intentionally swerve it, I seldom even chalk my tip for just that reason…

Funny, learning to jump story…

Last year one of the ladies on my league team was out in Las Vegas for the USAPL national tournament. 66 years old and about a 350 Fargo. She had previously tried to jump and really wasn’t very successful at it. She pretty much had proven me wrong when I had told her that I could teach anybody to at least hop over a ball in less than 10 minutes. She had proven to be the exception to that rule.

While out there she was wandering around the vendors, trying out various jump cues and practicing her “technique”. One day she texted me that she was practicing and that “the nicest young man“ had spent over a half hour helping her learn to jump. She said even he was a bit frustrated by her lack of progress. She said the only problem was that people kept coming up and asking for his autograph and interrupting them. I asked who it was, and she said she had no idea, just that his name was Dennis.

I sent her a quick picture and asked “this Dennis?!”

Yep. Orcollo.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
It’s also worth mentioning that a more “grippy” tip makes accuracy much more challenging.

Because you’re striking down on the cue ball at a steep angle, any strike that is the least off center imparts swerve to the cue ball, as in a masse. The grippier the tip, the more unintended swerve. For a longer shot, it can easily cause a complete miss even on an otherwise fairly well executed jump.

Unless my intent is to draw the cue ball on a relatively short jump, or to intentionally swerve it, I seldom even chalk my tip for just that reason…

Funny, learning to jump story…

Last year one of the ladies on my league team was out in Las Vegas for the USAPL national tournament. 66 years old and about a 350 Fargo. She had previously tried to jump and really wasn’t very successful at it. She pretty much had proven me wrong when I had told her that I could teach anybody to at least hop over a ball in less than 10 minutes. She had proven to be the exception to that rule.

While out there she was wandering around the vendors, trying out various jump cues and practicing her “technique”. One day she texted me that she was practicing and that “the nicest young man“ had spent over a half hour helping her learn to jump. She said even he was a bit frustrated by her lack of progress. She said the only problem was that people kept coming up and asking for his autograph and interrupting them. I asked who it was, and she said she had no idea, just that his name was Dennis.

I sent her a quick picture and asked “this Dennis?!”

Yep. Orcollo.

Cool story. I could definitely use some professional help!

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you have good jump fundamentals, it doesn't matter what cue you have. There are some jump cues out there such as the handchew, propel, air rush, that are more forgiving but I have also seen people struggle while jumping with those cues. I have given hundreds of jump lessons over the years and have seen so many different jump cues. I have seen students fail with all those cues, but then after instruction, be successful with all those cues. You can spend under $100 for a bungy or hundreds of dollars for a carbon fiber jump. It really depends on which once feels nicer to you.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Easily, bar none, the best production jumper on the planet has to be the Propel. That thing is flat out cheating....lol. I haven't found anyone that uses the Mezz AirDrive 2, so I can't compare to it specifically. However I hope it's 90% of the way to the performance of the Propel, because I like to be brand loyal...lmao

I can't produce a list of all that I have hit over the years. What I can say is that the propel is the only jump cue that has me willing to replace my current user, (hard maple, phenolic tip). I just refuse to pull the $500cdn out of my wallet with money earned. If and when I win that cash. I'll buy that cue the next day.

If there are doubters (and on AZB that's a given), try it...

Bahgs

Easily, bar none, the best production jumper on the planet has to be the Propel. That thing is flat out cheating....lol. I haven't found anyone that uses the Mezz AirDrive 2, so I can't compare to it specifically. However I hope it's 90% of the way to the performance of the Propel, because I like to be brand loyal...lmao

I can't produce a list of all that I have hit over the years. What I can say is that the propel is the only jump cue that has me willing to replace my current user, (hard maple, phenolic tip). I just refuse to pull the $500cdn out of my wallet with money earned. If and when I win that cash. I'll buy that cue the next day.

I love Mezz, in general, so I am in lockstep with you. I use the Propel as well and, as far as production goes, I don't think there's anything close.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Unless you have good jump fundamentals, it doesn't matter what cue you have. There are some jump cues out there such as the handchew, propel, air rush, that are more forgiving but I have also seen people struggle while jumping with those cues. I have given hundreds of jump lessons over the years and have seen so many different jump cues. I have seen students fail with all those cues, but then after instruction, be successful with all those cues. You can spend under $100 for a bungy or hundreds of dollars for a carbon fiber jump. It really depends on which once feels nicer to you.

If you weren't in Ohio, I'd ask you for a lesson. I watched Dr. Dave's video yesterday and am starting to see its got a lot to do with
my stroke.

Scrunge19

Registered

I’m a huge mezz guy and thought the air drive II sucked. I don’t know what it was about it but it did not jump nearly as effortlessly as the propel or air rush. I’ve even seen some sponsored pros using other cues instead of the ad2. Mario He is probably their top pro right now and he uses a purpleheart hanshew I believe.

I think mezz should go back to the drawing board and redesign it from the ground up. The product that exists today clearly wasn’t intended to be a 3 piece jump cue from the start, they just released the extender piece as an afterthought.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
I am a fairly decent jumper and have used many different ones from Air Rush, Propel, Hanshew, Air Hog, Air 2, and many more. I didn't find much difference in the higher end ones until I tried the Dunkel which is what I use now. It jumps good long and short and I won't be using anything else for a long time.

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Cuetec Propel is the best in my opinion – hands down. Yes, its expensive, but not the most expensive (See Predator or Mezz), it's been out for a while now and proceeded Predator's attempt at a carbon fiber jump cue by 2+ years, so it's been better vetted in the real world over time, plus, the Propel costs less than an AirRush. Also the Propel is all carbon fiber composite construction - no wood, while the AirRush is only a composite shaft.

chasrwest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try just about every jump cue I can because, unlike play cues, i find a tremendous amount of very discernible difference between them. So far, I haven’t found anything I like better than the Jacoby jumper. Extremely light, and it works very well with my dart technique.

I particularly did not like the Hanshew, but again, I use a dart style almost exclusively.

As for jump/break cues, I have yet to find one that does both jobs well. Most are far too heavy on the jump side…
+1 on the Jacoby. I was practicing with a friend's Jacoby jumper last night and it was very easy to get the ball off the table with accuracy.

Scrunge19

Registered
I like the air rush the best and that’s coming from a mezz guy who typically has no interest in predator products. I’m not sure if it’s the added length of the cue, the extra weight in the handle, or the shaft/tip combination but it is the easiest jump cue I have ever used. I actually had to learn to use less effort because it takes so little power to get over the object ball.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll add in discussion the Peri jump cue, the best jump cue if you use normal stroke style. Good for dart style jump stroke, but not the best.
Jump cues from Mezz are not at the level of their playing or break cues.

For a break/jump cue I also would recommend United cues from Germany (cuesports.de)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Robin Dobson believe is lady’s name use to demo her Frog & Tadpool at BCA thing in Vegas.

Think I seen a few people jump with just a shaft in hand, it technegie.

Not the Jump Cue brand.

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
Bob Dzuricky of DZ cues just started making them. If you can get on his books...