Jump Shot Question

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is going to seem like a really stupid question here, but it's bugging the hell out of me. LOL

So I was in the pool hall Friday afternoon, and trust me I have only been playing about once or twice a year since about 2010. So I may be a little rusty on some BCA rules, especially since they amend them every so often.

So the senero is this:

I pulled out my jump cue, which according to what I have found on the BCA website is still a legal jump cue.
I proceed to dart throw in order to make the jump. (I have always used dart throw because it's what I am comfortable with and it works for me.)

This guy that was watching me and my son shoot proceeds to tell me that dart throws are illegal in jumping the ball.
I proceed to tell him that not to my knowledge it's not. But he tells me it's illegal in all the BCA tournaments.

I then tell him I used to run BCA legue down here in this very pool hall, and that I have played all over the state and never heard of a dart throw being illegal in BCA.

So he tells me it is now, and that all the tournaments in this pool hall has banned them.

So I tell him that maybe they have banned them and made their own addition to the rules, but in BCA rules it's still legal.

So I looked it up tonight and as far as I can tell it is, but I wanted some confirmation from all the people in here that know their rule books! LOL

So is a dart throw still legal to jump in the BCA???

Thanks,
Scott

Last edited:

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the rule I found so far:

1.34 JUMP SHOTS AND MASSÉ SHOTS

1. Jump shots are legal shots. However, it is a foul to intentionally cause the cue ball to rise off the bed of the table by "digging under" or "scooping" the cue ball with the cue stick.

2. If you attempt to jump over or massé around an impeding illegal object ball then Rule 1.33, Disturbed Balls, does not apply to the impeding ball for that shot. If the impeding ball moves during the stroke it is a foul regardless of whether it was moved by the cue ball, your equipment or any part of your body.

3. Any attempt to curve the cue ball around an impeding ball is a massé shot, regardless of the degree of elevation of the cue stick or amount of curve.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never thought it was a big enough issue to look into it but I've wondered if dart strokes were illegal myself because I never ever see pros use them. That got me wondering if they were illegal in pro competitions and furthermore illegal in some leagues?

The league I shoot in doesn't seem to have a problem with them but maybe the BCA does. From what I read in there rule-book though dart strokes are legal?

Would like to see other people confirm this though.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are no BCAPL rules that specify that a particular kind of jumpshot stroke (underhand vs. dart style) is illegal. The only specified illegal stroke is scooping under the CB.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never thought it was a big enough issue to look into it but I've wondered if dart strokes were illegal myself because I never ever see pros use them. That got me wondering if they were illegal in pro competitions and furthermore illegal in some leagues?

The league I shoot in doesn't seem to have a problem with them but maybe the BCA does. From what I read in there rule-book though dart strokes are legal?

Would like to see other people confirm this though.

Now I'm interested to know that one too! Please someone tell us that.

Charlie Hillbilly Bryant tried to show me the pendulum jump shot after he destroyed me in a match. I've tried to do it but since I'm so short it's hard for me to do on a 9' table in most places.

Note the dart their I can do and repeat on almost any table. So I've gotten fairly good at it, although jumping is one of my last resorts. Lol

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Guilty until proven innocent, without an associative cost to the accuser to be the new way these days, rather than traditional innocent until proven guilty. Burden of proof used to the responsibility of the accuser, now it seems to shift to accused to defend and refute any accusations.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's saying that instead of the person who says it's legal, the person who says it's illegal should have to provide the proof.

Now that makes sense! This guy didn't provide any proof just kept telling me to ask someone else, and that all tournaments have outlawed it that are BCA sanctioned.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is going to seem like a really stupid question here, but it's bugging the hell out of me. LOL

So I was in the pool hall Friday afternoon, and trust me I have only been playing about once or twice a year since about 2010. So I may be a little rusty on some BCA rules, especially since they amend them every so often.

So the senero is this:

I pulled out my jump cue, which according to what I have found on the BCA website is still a legal jump cue.
I proceed to dart throw in order to make the jump. (I have always used dart throw because it's what I am comfortable with and it works for me.)

This guy that was watching me and my son shoot proceeds to tell me that dart throws are illegal in jumping the ball.
I proceed to tell him that not to my knowledge it's not. But he tells me it's illegal in all the BCA tournaments.

I then tell him I used to run BCA legue down here in this very pool hall, and that I have played all over the state and never heard of a dart throw being illegal in BCA.

So he tells me it is now, and that all the tournaments in this pool hall has banned them.

So I tell him that maybe they have banned them and made their own addition to the rules, but in BCA rules it's still legal.

So I looked it up tonight and as far as I can tell it is, but I wanted some confirmation from all the people in here that know their rule books! LOL

So is a dart throw still legal to jump in the BCA???

Thanks,
Scott

How you hit the jump does not matter, it's basically how you are holding the cue when you make the shot. Seems that he was telling you the local rule, possibly because the owner thought that those type of jumps were going to ruin the cloth or they saw people jump with just a shaft using a dart stroke which is how people often used to jump with just the shaft.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... So is a dart throw still legal to jump in the BCA???
But I'm curious. When you say "throw" do you mean that your grip hand actually releases the cue stick and throws it at the ball?

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How you hit the jump does not matter, it's basically how you are holding the cue when you make the shot. Seems that he was telling you the local rule, possibly because the owner thought that those type of jumps were going to ruin the cloth or they saw people jump with just a shaft using a dart stroke which is how people often used to jump with just the shaft.

You might be right! Cause if you use just the shaft then your cue is illegal because it's not 40" long. Maybe he doesn't know that though? Mmmmm good point thanks for that thought.

RBLilly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But I'm curious. When you say "throw" do you mean that your grip hand actually releases the cue stick and throws it at the ball?

I don't release the cue, but according to the way the rule is written that wouldn't be illegal. Lol
It would be hard to control that shot though. Lol

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't release the cue, but according to the way the rule is written that wouldn't be illegal. ...
Which rule set are you using? I don't know of any rule set that forbids release of the cue stick by the grip hand during the stroke.