Jump sticks rules

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
]Does any one know the specifications or rules on jump sticks?I have one from 1992 we called a bar stool leg.Its 21 inches long and thick metal with a tip and handle.It could jump over any ball easy. Thanks for any help.Tried to add picture can't get it here.

Last edited:

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
> Most of them go something like this. Minimum length 40",tip must be leather or an approved synthetic. The tip on mine (black Future) was legal by BCA specs because it was marketed as a synthetic leather. It must also at least LOOK like a cue to get around the "tire buddy" style that brought about the original mid-90's ban.

Several of the league systems and pro tournaments have since banned the use of phenolics and G-10 glass epoxy as break/jump tips because of the damage they can cause to balls. Tommy D.

jetlau3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my question.. is it illegal to use a Phenolic Tipped JUMP cue in BCA?? I know it is illegal for a jump break but is it illegal also for just the jump?

Thanks

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here are the cue stick requirements for the WPA (and, therefore, also for the BCA):

17. Cue Sticks
Cue Sticks used at WPA competitions should comply with the following
during play at table:

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum

The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..

The ferrule of the cue stick, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch [2.54 cm] in length.​

The BCA Pool League has the same requirements in terms of length, width, and weight, but for break cues (not jump cues) they require that the cue tip be "leather with no non-leather materials added to the contacting surface."

rackem

SUPPORT CLUB MEMBERSHIP
Silver Member
Here are the cue stick requirements for the WPA (and, therefore, also for the BCA):

17. Cue Sticks
Cue Sticks used at WPA competitions should comply with the following
during play at table:

Length of Cue: 40 inches [1.016 m] minimum / No Maximum
Weight of Cue: No minimum / 25 oz. [708.75 gm] maximum
Width of Tip: No minimum / 14mm maximum

The cue tip may not be of a material that can scratch or damage the addressed ball. The cue tip on any stick must be composed of a piece of specially processed leather or other fibrous or pliable material that extends the natural line of the shaft end of the cue and contacts the cue ball when the shot is executed..

The ferrule of the cue stick, if of a metal material, may not be more than 1 inch [2.54 cm] in length.​

The BCA Pool League has the same requirements in terms of length, width, and weight, but for break cues (not jump cues) they require that the cue tip be "leather with no non-leather materials added to the contacting surface."
Go figure, those titanium cues from walmart are illegal. :rolleyes: Metal ferrule over an inch.:clapping::woot:

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Official BCAPL response

Per BCA Pool League (BCAPL) rules, Equipment Specifications, Cue Sticks:

Minimum length, 40"
Maximum weight, 25 oz.
Maximum width of tip, 14 mm.

Those three specifications are the same for World Standardized Rules (WSR).

Neither BCAPL nor WSR regulate "Jump Cues". Jump cues must meet the same minimum/maximum characteristics as any other cue.

The BCAPL restriction on non-leather tips only applies to a cue used for a break shot.

WSR restrictions on tip materials are open to interpretation.

rackem said:
Must be 41".

While most (not all) jump cues are made at around 40 1/2" - 41" in order to be clearly over 40", the actual minimum is 40", not 41".:smile:

jetlau said:
Here are the cue stick requirements for the WPA (and, therefore, also for the BCA)
Not sure what you mean here. If you are referring to the The BCAPL, we do not use WSR. Within the context of your post, there is no such thing as the "BCA". Please see the disclaimers in my sig for details. (Not trying to pick a fight - just want to make sure everyone is on the same page :smile:)

rackem said:
Go figure, those titanium cues from walmart are illegal. Metal ferrule over an inch)

Difference between BCAPL and WSR: Under WSR a metal ferrule may not exceed one inch in length. The length of a metal ferrule is not regulated under BCAPL rules.

:smile:
Buddy Eick
BCAPL National Head Referee
BCAPL Director of Referee Training
Technical Editor, BCAPL Rule Book
bcapl_referee@cox.net

Find the Official Rules of the BCA Pool League here:

http://www.playbca.com/Downloads/Rulebook/CompleteRulebook/tabid/372/Default.aspx

* The contents of this post refer to BCA Pool League (BCAPL) Rules only. The BCAPL National Office has authorized me to act in an official capacity regarding questions about BCAPL Rules matters in public forums.
* Neither I nor any BCAPL referee make any policy decisions regarding BCAPL Rules. Any and all decisions, interpretations, or Applied Rulings are made by the BCAPL National Office and are solely their responsibility. BCAPL referees are enforcers of rules, not legislators. BCAPL Rules 9.5.3 and 9.5.4 apply.
* No reference to, inference concerning, or comment on any other set of rules (WPA, APA, VNEA, TAP, or any other set of rules, public or private) is intended or should be derived from this post unless specifically stated.
* For 8-Ball, 9-Ball, 10-Ball, and 14.1 Continuous, there is no such thing as "BCA Rules" other than in the sense that the Billiard Congress of America (BCA) publishes various rules, including the World Pool-Billiard Association's "World Standardized Rules" for those games. The BCA does not edit nor is responsible for the content of the World Standardized Rules. The Official Rules of the BCAPL is a separate and independent set of rules and, to avoid confusion, should not be referred to as "BCA Rules".
* Since 2004, there is no such thing as a "BCA Referee". The BCA no longer has any program to train, certify or sanction billiards referees or officials.
* The BCAPL has no association with the Billiard Congress of America other than in their capacity as a member of the BCA.
* The BCAPL has not addressed every imaginable rules issue, nor will it ever likely be able to, as evidenced by the seemingly endless situations that people dream up or that (more frequently) actually happen. If I do not have the answer to a question I will tell you so, then I will get a ruling from the BCAPL National Office and get back to you as soon as I can. If deemed necessary, the BCAPL will then add the ruling to the "Applied Rulings" section of The Official Rules of the BCA Pool League.

Last edited:

Hank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rules

Its nice to get educated on the rules.I was thinking about modifying the short jump stick.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Originally Posted by jetlau
Here are the cue stick requirements for the WPA (and, therefore, also for the BCA)
Not sure what you mean here. If you are referring to the The BCAPL, we do not use WSR. Within the context of your post, there is no such thing as the "BCA". Please see the disclaimers in my sig for details. (Not trying to pick a fight - just want to make sure everyone is on the same page :smile:)

Buddy -- What you quoted above, and attributed to jetlau, was actually what I said as my lead-in to citing the WPA rules in post #7. When I said "the BCA" I meant the BCA, i.e., the Billiard Congress of America. The BCA has adopted the World-Standardized Rules developed by the World Pool-Billiard Association (WPA).

The BCAPL, or BCA Pool League, is a distinct entity from the BCA. The BCAPL has its own rules, and that is why I noted the difference in cue stick requirements at the bottom of post #7.

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry - got my credits crossed up.

Then I didn't read through your #7 totally clearly. Got blocked by that first BCA reference.

Please accept my apologies...

Buddy