Just for fun, nicknames in pool halls

L.S. Dennis

Back in the day I’m thinking 1961 or 62” my father owned a liquor store directly across the street from Jimmy and Dorothy Wises’ Sequoia Billiards in Redwood Ciity Ca. Well it wasn’t too long before I found my self crossing the street to see what all the clicking balls were all about. It didn’t take long before I found myself in there all the time while I was waiting for my father to close ther store and take me home for the evening. And it also wasn’t too long before I found that just about everyone in the place had some kind of pool niockame and we kids were no exception.

Some of the more colorful names I can remember were, George ‘The Dry Dog’ Wilbur, ( a guy with bright red cheeks, who smoked lucky strikes and drove a 55’ Oldsmobile). Then there was Dee ‘The Fish‘ Dimetri, who owned a sign company in San Carlos, This guy lost just about everything he owned including a 55 T-bird, a huge diamond ring, and loads of cash to a guy called ‘Sewage Rack’. Dee finanally wised up and learned how to better match up but by then it was too late he had alread lost everything up to and almost his place of business in San Carlos. Then there was Paul ‘Bone Rack’ Tessure, who resembled his nick name to a T. Mike ‘Shorty‘ Dixon was another I remember there lots of them with plenty of stories to go along with all these guys.

Like I said just for fun it’s Sunday
‘’’”

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Microwave Joe brought a brand new in the box microwave into the 211 and sold it. The buyer got it home to find the interior caked with food.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From New Jersey starting in the '60's forward.
All real characters that hung out in the pool room.

Fast Eddie Sonntag
Sam "one poke" Fauver
Youngblood
Chicken neck
Bugs Bunny
Saint
Mouse
One eyed Mike
Guitar Bobby
Choo Choo Larry
Mental Mike
Gypsy Bob
Shooter

Rusty in Montana

One guy was " Dakota " then there was a " Mac " when I was a young guy my nickname was Rusty or Big Al depending on where I'm at ha ha

I miss Frank aka Mac as for Dakota he probably died of a drug overdose or driving drunk ?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We have a guy in the local SoCal pool scene we call Rhino who has dubbed the following nicknames to players:

Doctor Phil
Fat Baby
Li'l Boy
Ketchup
Seabiscuit
Hollywood
Elephant
The Kid
Amigo
Johnny 5

middleofnowhere

Registered
From New Jersey starting in the '60's forward.
All real characters that hung out in the pool room.

Fast Eddie Sonntag
Sam "one poke" Fauver
Youngblood
Chicken neck
Bugs Bunny
Saint
Mouse
One eyed Mike
Guitar Bobby
Choo Choo Larry
Mental Mike
Gypsy Bob
Shooter
Was Mouse a guy named Al Moonie? Not sure of spelling.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was Mouse a guy named Al Moonie? Not sure of spelling.
No his first name was Frank.
Pre Viet Nam everyone called him Mouse.
Post Viet Nam after a tour with the 25th Infantry division he wanted to be called Frank.
He went there a kid and came back an adult all in 1 year.

poolwhiz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No his first name was Frank.
Pre Viet Nam everyone called him Mouse.
Post Viet Nam after a tour with the 25th Infantry division he wanted to be called Frank.
He went there a kid and came back an adult all in 1 year.
25th Infantry here also. Triple duece. 1968. Blonde Knight cause I was blonde. Also Stein, short for Albert Einstein cause they thought I was a genius on the table.