just got back from apa nationals.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Shot clock: You may interpret a rule however you wish, but at the team captains meeting when the director tells everybody face to face that the shot clock will be enforced and the foul is ball in hand, then I interpret the rule to be exactly as they stated it would be.

Stalemate: Yes, we were in a stalemate situation and time was called to get the referee to adjudicate.

His immediate response was "I do not know that ruling exactly, but I think it goes like this...". He was then personally offended when I chimed in that if he is not certain of the rule, and that he had cited the rule incorrectly (in fact it was the opposite of the rule as written), we should pull out the rule book and read exactly what it says.

This was taken as a confrontation to his authority and lack of rule memorization, he handed the cue ball to the opponent and said that we would not be permitted to take the time to look up any rules. He did not "take the rulebook away from me". He simply took the "ready, fire, aim" approach.

It was not even the opponents turn at the table, yet he quickly took the cue ball and smashed away. Thus ending any ability to resolve the ruling as the ball had been struck (illegally and out of turn).

How many times had the ref been called: This was the third game of the match and he had probably been called over two or three times, and at least once by each team requesting a watch on a shot. There had been no rules issues up to this point.

Reasons for losing: Our team did not achieve 51 points in the match. We were eliminated in 64th position. There were no problems with equipment, tables, hardware, lighting or temperature/humidity.

Interesting fact #1: The team which eliminated us played three more rounds, winning a 5th place match and then being disqualified for having too many skill level changes during the tournament. Each of the following three matches resulted in their opponent raising formal complaints about skill levels. When we played them they had two skill level 3 players, one started as a 2 and bumped to a 4 after our match, the other one started as a 3 and bumped to a 5, then they were disqualified and banned from APA.

Interesting fact #2: My only complaint about the match was about the lack of skill, knowledge and tact of the referee and floor judge.

Interesting fact #3: I have no problem being eliminated where we ended up, and it allowed us to have a fun night at the pool party and enjoy some of Vegas instead of shooting non-stop for days. In 2011 my team placed 16th and it was too much pool for a "vacation".

Interesting fact #4: Please don't take this as a personal insult, but I don't care for you very much as a person. I find your personal interpretations of events that you were not at or a part of to be as shortsighted and dim as the referee who can't remember basic rules. At this point I think you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. However I do appreciate very much that you used some sentence structure and organized your thoughts better in this round of dim insults.

Well, the feeling is likely mutual, but I don't know you. You seem a bit hard headed and inflexible, kind of a "know-it-all" that probably thinks he has every tool in his garage and has traveled just about everywhere and can pretend to give advice on everything, but maybe you just write that way.
In the "first round" I didn't insult you I asked questions, I'm really sorry you were to dim to know the difference, thank you for finally answering some of them, by the way.
...anyhow.....
I'm surprised that as well as you know the rules you lodge a protest. You obviously think you were right, if I was that sure of myself in that situation I would have utilized every vehicle available to me to see to it that my concerns were addressed and that I was treated fairly beginning with calling over a floor manager for a correct ruling..
One thing, like I said, you should have felt free to look up any rule you liked, but in no way should the match have been stopped for you to do that, however, the match could have been stopped for a ruling of the supervisor or the floor manager, and that was your mistake if you didn't do it.
As to the referees, you can be sure most of them know the rules, they have to. Sounds like your's may have been a little panicked at the thought of having to make a ruling right there in front of everyone. Most are really pretty good, sounds like your's wasn't. He/she really shouldn't have reacted that way but the situation should have given to a floor manager long before it came to that. Knowing the rules and being able to apply them are really different things, some aren't so good at it and some are.
Perhaps you should volunteer to referee so you can see to it that it's done right.
I do a couple more questions, when you all there at the table thought it was to the point where it was stalemated, were you the player? Who's thought was it to call the referee? Since you knew the rule was it really necessary to involve the referee, why didn't you just point it out, or was your opponent being a little unreasonable by then?

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot clock: You may interpret a rule however you wish, but at the team captains meeting when the director tells everybody face to face that the shot clock will be enforced and the foul is ball in hand, then I interpret the rule to be exactly as they stated it would be.

Stalemate: Yes, we were in a stalemate situation and time was called to get the referee to adjudicate.

His immediate response was "I do not know that ruling exactly, but I think it goes like this...". He was then personally offended when I chimed in that if he is not certain of the rule, and that he had cited the rule incorrectly (in fact it was the opposite of the rule as written), we should pull out the rule book and read exactly what it says.

This was taken as a confrontation to his authority and lack of rule memorization, he handed the cue ball to the opponent and said that we would not be permitted to take the time to look up any rules. He did not "take the rulebook away from me". He simply took the "ready, fire, aim" approach.

It was not even the opponents turn at the table, yet he quickly took the cue ball and smashed away. Thus ending any ability to resolve the ruling as the ball had been struck (illegally and out of turn).

How many times had the ref been called: This was the third game of the match and he had probably been called over two or three times, and at least once by each team requesting a watch on a shot. There had been no rules issues up to this point.

Reasons for losing: Our team did not achieve 51 points in the match. We were eliminated in 64th position. There were no problems with equipment, tables, hardware, lighting or temperature/humidity.

Interesting fact #1: The team which eliminated us played three more rounds, winning a 5th place match and then being disqualified for having too many skill level changes during the tournament. Each of the following three matches resulted in their opponent raising formal complaints about skill levels. When we played them they had two skill level 3 players, one started as a 2 and bumped to a 4 after our match, the other one started as a 3 and bumped to a 5, then they were disqualified and banned from APA.

Interesting fact #2: My only complaint about the match was about the lack of skill, knowledge and tact of the referee and floor judge.

Interesting fact #3: I have no problem being eliminated where we ended up, and it allowed us to have a fun night at the pool party and enjoy some of Vegas instead of shooting non-stop for days. In 2011 my team placed 16th and it was too much pool for a "vacation".

Interesting fact #4: Please don't take this as a personal insult, but I don't care for you very much as a person. I find your personal interpretations of events that you were not at or a part of to be as shortsighted and dim as the referee who can't remember basic rules. At this point I think you're arguing just for the sake of arguing. However I do appreciate very much that you used some sentence structure and organized your thoughts better in this round of dim insults.

Pardon me, but would you mind sharing where the team you are describing was from? I think I know them. And if it is who I think, they are some of the worst sandbaggers I have ever known.

KMRUNOUT

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got back this morning and I have to say they are very well run. I have been to vegas many times before but I'm usually on the other end of the strip. It's the biggest I've been a part of and everyone there knows what there doing and keeps things moving. Not to mention everyone as usual with the apa was incredibly nice, Sure you have a few bad eggs but it is few and very far between. I was only their for master division. I played well and we got knocked out of the 3rd round. Just a few notes for anyone who hasn't gone since they changed location.

1) I stayed at the stratosphere and I'm glad we did. We really liked it there. The rooms were nice. people were very friendly. a lot of good restaurants on site (which is important to my wife and I) great swimming pool. Everything was perfect to me and we travel a lot. It was only a $10 cab ride or 15 min walk to the westgate. It's only a 5 min walk to to the monorail to head down town and a 10 min cab ride to freemont street. Not to mention there was a soul food restaurant across the street that was amazing. My wife and I were the only white people in the place but no one blinked an eye when we walked in and the food was so damn good I wouldn't have cared if they did lol the westgate looked nice enough but I felt the restaurant choices weren't for us and the one place we did eat the food and service was terrible. Everyone said the rooms were nice though.

2)Don't fly spirit airlines...just don't ! enough said

3) venders .. there were a nice amount of venders. it's amazing how many of the same venders I saw on the east coast event I see at the west coast lo

4)The monorail is the goods. Takes you from the strat down to the mgm in 10 mins. It's comfortable .. cheaper then a cab and a pass last's 24 hours. Definitely a good idea if you want to head down town drinking.

5) I think one of my few complaints about the tournament was the table situation. Valleys.. Most of the tables rolled bad. I'm sure from sitting on carpet for a week before I got there. I don't make excuses but I had to adjust to the valley cue ball .... It's not very consistent in my opinion. I did adjust and played well but that cue ball is just funky lol the other thing was some tournaments you had to pay and some you didn't. Masters you had to play $1 a game. I get paying for your practice tables but either the tournament tables are free when your playing in the tournament or they're not. It shouldn't be some where between. charge me a greens fee and make the players wear some kind of badge when they're in tournament arena's ... I would be cool with that.

6) The apa rented out the whole pool area and had a monster party twice that week. Good times and the pool area was beautiful.

7) had to edit to add The mini's lol how could I forget that. I didn't play in any. They sold out 24 hours in advance and believe me they sell immediately when they come available. They have a tournament desk that only deals with them and 2 huge screens telling you what is coming up in the next 24 hours. People buy in not even knowing if they could play and then sell them off if they can. People wait in front of that desk all damn day for this. the second the director says one is available someone yells I'll take it before it comes out there mouth lol

looking forward to going again and I still say apa masters is the best league format a round. the long races give you a chance to catch a stroke and let 2 strong players battle.
Curious question - what types of vendors were there (cue makers, case makers, table manufacturers i assume) and what is the cost at the event compared to say shopping online?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off the tables are not nearly as bad as people make them out to be. I have played and/or watched hundreds of games on them and I can't say someone being robbed because of a table roll is really something one needs to worry about. Sorry but you are not correct. Rolls were atrocious. Every single person I discussed it with were of like mind. When you can't slow roll a ball because it rolls off, that is most certainly something to worry about.

Second, Why would the APA change to Diamonds when a vast majority of their players play on Valley tables? You are a minority, several times over, as are the 9' elitist so adapt to the environment. You know going into it what tables they use and what balls they use so the rest is on you. You actually don't know what balls they will use. They use 2 different types. There is an extremely terrible dull looking set, and Aramith Premiums. In many cases those two sets are mixed together. They play differently. Also mix and match ball sets add to the already difficult racking situation. The racks are the absolute worst. They use 3 types of those too. The super flimsy very thin plastic kind (rare), the Muellers logo composite type with the wider flange at the top (not terrible and the best at this event, but still the minority), and the "High Country Promotions" plastic rack that all appear to have been left in a clear box out in the middle of the desert all day. They are horrifically warped and just downright terrible. What a sad irony to promote your business on such sub standard equipment. Finally, there are 2 different cue balls in play. There is the green logo aramith and the purple logo. Lets put aside the fact that these balls do not play like a standard cue ball, do not match the set they are with, and are generally a bad choice. Instead lets focus on the fact that the two balls in play play DIFFERENT than each other. The purple logo is the newer design and come closer to a real cue ball. However, they roll differently, play quite differently. So saying you know what the conditions will be is not accurate. The national tournament *could* set the standard for what the bars and rooms across the country could strive for. The standard is fairly low at this point. Using Diamond tables and quality balls would indicate that the quality of the *pool* aspect of the tournament was important to the APA. If they could at least get a competent table setup crew, universalize the model of table used and the balls used, get some quality racks...maybe then it wouldn't generate so much disgust from the players.

Third, according to so many here you should have no problem whatsoever going from your vastly superior and harder Diamonds to these crummy valley tables. You may have to adapt to banking, but really how many times do you have do that in the course of a match? Um...surely you're kidding, right? How many times do you send your cueball to a rail and intend to play position that way? If the rails don't play properly (and they don't), then they don't play properly. What you are used to is irrelevant. It requires significantly less *work* and finesse to make a Diamond bar box play decent. I'm surprised that isn't mentioned.

Skippy, you have a few misconceptions here. See the blue above for corrections.

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious question - what types of vendors were there (cue makers, case makers, table manufacturers i assume) and what is the cost at the event compared to say shopping online?

All the "major" vendors were there. Predator, OB, Tiger, Meucci, Jacoby, Kamui, many other cue vendors, Omega Billiards, other vendors, some custom dealers like Joe Salazar, repair guys like Joe Blackburn. If you've ever been to the BCA National Championship, pretty much the same vendors.

The prices are pretty much what you would pay online. I wouldn't say the "deals" were especially aggressive. You might do ok if you were looking to buy a 2nd hand custom. Otherwise you would pay about the same as online.

KMRUNOUT

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I went for 9-ball and only have these points to add:

1) There is effectively no shot clock at the nationals. Now, before you get your panties in a bunch, yes, there ARE rules about shot clock (in no less than 4 locations within all the paperwork they give you). But there is no enforcement of the rules. One 9-ball match between two skill level 3 players took 1 hour and 45 minutes. Their player averaged over 1 minute per shot (not per inning). We tracked with a timing app.

Part way through the 1st rack I informed their captain of his slow play. He didn't care.

I informed the judge. He told me directly "there is nothing I can do, we have been instructed not to talk to any team, captain or shooter about slow play. All I can do is call a floor manager".

Floor manager shows up and watches for about 5 minutes (approximately 5 shots) and says "Yes, he is definitely going way over the shot clock. I will ask the head judge".

Nothing happens at all. The match spans approximately 1 hour 20 minutes after that point. Not a single damn thing.

Had we not hurried with a big win in match #2, the third match would have been sudden death. We avoided sudden death in the third match by approximately 5 minutes.

2) Judges do not know the rules for 9-ball. Specifically the "stalemate" rule. Nor do they stop play to consult a rule book if they do not know the rule (while admitting they are unsure of a rule).

3) They will deny a captain from looking up the rule that they are miss-interpreting and allow a shooter to shoot. Then say "sorry, we should have stopped play, but now they shot so there is nothing we can do".

So aside from those, it was nice. Westgate is an improvement over Rivera for sure. But the judging and enforcement of rules down there was absolutely pitiful.

Some refs are very good. Most of the plain old "referees" are not. They really don't know what they are doing. I can't tell you how many times a ref has been asked to watch a double hit situation, the player *blatantly* fouls. and they call it good. Very sad. The floor managers and Tournament Directors are quite good though. Lol reminds me of the scene in The Terminator, "...now I need to see Sarah Connor!" "Well that's not up to me". "Then why am I talking TO YOU!?!? WHO IS IN AUTHORITY HERE?" Lol

KMRUNOUT

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All the "major" vendors were there. Predator, OB, Tiger, Meucci, Jacoby, Kamui, many other cue vendors, Omega Billiards, other vendors, some custom dealers like Joe Salazar, repair guys like Joe Blackburn. If you've ever been to the BCA National Championship, pretty much the same vendors.

The prices are pretty much what you would pay online. I wouldn't say the "deals" were especially aggressive. You might do ok if you were looking to buy a 2nd hand custom. Otherwise you would pay about the same as online.

KMRUNOUT
Awesome, thanks for the info

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This didn't happen, at least not as you describe. I've been to the last twenty-some national championships and in none of the captains meetings did anyone say "the shot clock will be enforced and the foul is ball in hand." What is said is "slow play will not be tolerated. If your opponent is playing slowly bring it to the attention of the referee. The referee will time some shots, and if he/she agrees, the player will be asked to speed up. Failure to do so will result in a warning for slow play. Subsequent offenses may result in ball-in-hand to the opposing player."

You still haven't answered my previous question. Exactly how did the ruling go? The wording you previously pointed to in the team manual was not applicable to your situation, you were quoting the 8-Ball stalemate rule. The one for 9-Ball is quite different, almost "the opposite" of the 8-Ball rule. What exactly was the ruling?

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Skippy, you have a few misconceptions here. See the blue above for corrections.

I'm not sure what your motive is, but clearly there is a reason for your extremely exaggerated poor description of the ball and table conditions.

I have played hundreds of games on the tables there so take that for what it is worth, but I have no complaints and I am an above average skilled player so conditions are more relevant to my game then most.