Just started playing again this year and have a few questions...

Jeff M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't hardly play for about 4.5 years until this past January. Before that I probably only played about 1.5 years total, though I was improving. I think after 3 months back at it I am at least as good as I was before. As comparison I would say I am shooting somewhere around an APA 6 in eight-ball. ( I am going back to APA this Monday, and played just one session before).

I am practicing a lot. I want to get as good as I can because I really love the game. I live in Central OH area (not too far from Columbus).

Anyone know any good instructors in Ohio (perhaps Central Ohio)? If someone here is good and doesn't mind, I am happy to pay anyone who can help me with my game.

Also, if you were to recommend any books or training devices, what would you recommend?

Anyone have an opinion on the Cuetec R 360 Edge? It's what I am using for now, though I have a good McDermont, but it needs a new shaft.

What are some of the best pool halls to play in in Ohio?
Any other useful tips to help me improve are welcomed.

Thanks,
Jeff
 
I believe that Tom Simpson is around the Columbus area, and he is a BCA master instructor. So if you are looking to get better, and build a solid foundation, he is the guy to go to. There is also a nice poolhall in Cincinnati called Michael's Billiards. They are in Fairfield off rt. 4. Not sure about poolhalls that close to Columbus, but this is the info I could help with! Best wishes in your success! :thumbup:
 
I believe that Tom Simpson is around the Columbus area, and he is a BCA master instructor. So if you are looking to get better, and build a solid foundation, he is the guy to go to. There is also a nice poolhall in Cincinnati called Michael's Billiards. They are in Fairfield off rt. 4. Not sure about poolhalls that close to Columbus, but this is the info I could help with! Best wishes in your success! :thumbup:

Okay, thank you. I checked out that 3-day school Simpson offers. It's almost a thousand dollars. Would it be worth paying that much? If it really worth it, I am willing to pay. I love this game.

Thanks,
Jeff
 
Place to play

The 8-ball Sports Bar in Columbus is pretty nice.
It has a number of 9' tables and a bunch of
bar boxes.
 
I cannot say whether it is worth it or not, but he does have some client testimonials that you can watch, and they all thought he was great. Stan Shuffet is an instructor from KY, and he is really good too. Plus only about half the price of Tom's classes. His son is national junior champion Landon Shuffet, and they are both great people. I know that Stan has worked with some of the top pros and has developed the Pro-one aiming system that lots of pros use. Youtube also has some great instructional videos by top players and instructors. Plus there are tons of books, and dvd instructionals, so it is up to you to decide which method you prefer. But for myself, the intense one on one sessions with great instructors will do wonders! Good luck in whatever you choose to go with. :smile:
 
Thanks, I will check them out.

There are many vids on youtube of Thorsten Hohmman executing many of the PAT tests. He makes it look too easy.

The entire set of three booklets is progressive so you start out with simple stuff and end up with difficult drills and games by the end of booklet 3.

And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. :smile:
 
The 8-ball Sports Bar in Columbus is pretty nice.
It has a number of 9' tables and a bunch of
bar boxes.

Think this one is closest to me so I will probably check it out. I read there is a US amateur qualifier there in September.
 
Call me for the Free Perfect Aim phone lesson....

I didn't hardly play for about 4.5 years until this past January. Before that I probably only played about 1.5 years total, though I was improving. I think after 3 months back at it I am at least as good as I was before. As comparison I would say I am shooting somewhere around an APA 6 in eight-ball. ( I am going back to APA this Monday, and played just one session before).

I am practicing a lot. I want to get as good as I can because I really love the game. I live in Central OH area (not too far from Columbus).

Anyone know any good instructors in Ohio (perhaps Central Ohio)? If someone here is good and doesn't mind, I am happy to pay anyone who can help me with my game.

Also, if you were to recommend any books or training devices, what would you recommend?

Anyone have an opinion on the Cuetec R 360 Edge? It's what I am using for now, though I have a good McDermont, but it needs a new shaft.

What are some of the best pool halls to play in in Ohio?
Any other useful tips to help me improve are welcomed.

Thanks,
Jeff

Hi there Jeff,

Most of the time trying to get back in stroke is getting the eyes in the correct position naturally.

Give me a call. This will get you there alot faster and even better.

Welcome back to a great game. Hope I can help you.

Looking forward to it.

Geno...........
 
Bartram lives in Columbus. He plays jam up pool and has went against the best in the world. I'm pretty sure he said he gives lessons. He is on AZ, contact him and I bet he would show you some things.
 
I cannot say whether it is worth it or not, but he does have some client testimonials that you can watch, and they all thought he was great. Stan Shuffet is an instructor from KY, and he is really good too. Plus only about half the price of Tom's classes. His son is national junior champion Landon Shuffet, and they are both great people. I know that Stan has worked with some of the top pros and has developed the Pro-one aiming system that lots of pros use. Youtube also has some great instructional videos by top players and instructors. Plus there are tons of books, and dvd instructionals, so it is up to you to decide which method you prefer. But for myself, the intense one on one sessions with great instructors will do wonders! Good luck in whatever you choose to go with. :smile:

Thanks, Hustler84! Just saw this.

Stan Shuffett
 
Back
Top