Kamui Chalk!

brad21156

Registered
I heard that this chalk goes on like silk. Does the chalk stick to the cueball? If it does I wouldn't want my opponent using it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Like most of you on AZ I have gone a week w/o a miscue using regular Masters Blue @ under $25 a gross shipped. Most of the time when players miscue is when their just banging balls around and not paying attention to their bridge and where there hitting the CB, or there not chalking after every shot, or their tip needs work.. If your playing for money or in a tournament that means something I would think/hope you would be bareing down more. Johnnyt

sk8ordie

HTTR!
Silver Member
I heard that this chalk goes on like silk. Does the chalk stick to the cueball? If it does I wouldn't want my opponent using it.

I'm not, nor have I knocked Kamui chalk ever. I heard from a few people that received the chalk from the SBE that, it did leave more noticeable marks on the cue ball and it left blue streaks on the table.??? That was from reviews, not me.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe instead of the recommended retail price of 0.98 dollars a cube, the new stuff will have the 25.00 dollars a cube on the side instead. That should remove the doubt about the price.
But seriously, if you develop a new product from scratch, and want to recover that cost, it is very expensive. Imagine the price now to do 9000 experiments just to make a light bulb that sort of works.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
You can if you wish.. Who's stopping you?? ;)

If you do that -- especially with one of the counterfeit knock-offs -- the resulting sneeze might match one of the possible counterfeit name guesses:

Kaplui!

:p
-Sean

STOJ

Registered
I HAVE ONE PIECE!!!!
a friend of mine from kamui gave it to me 2 weeks ago and he said, that its 25$...
the chalk is maybe 75% as big as a regular chalk and so fat,that you may have to chalk every 10th shot, BUT: a poolplayer doesnt wanna chalk every 10th shot. you wanna chalk after every shot because of preshot routine and confidence on quality shots!!!
the biggest minus imo is, that after every shot, theres a chalk point an the cueball and you have to clean the cueball after every single shot...
greetings

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
the biggest minus imo is, that after every shot, theres a chalk point an the cueball and you have to clean the cueball after every single shot...
greetings

If this is true, I'd never want to use Kamui chalk.. Think about all of the skidding balls.. I think I'll stick with Masters, it works beautifully for me.. YMMV

deadhead

more money than sense...
Silver Member
I HAVE ONE PIECE!!!!
a friend of mine from kamui gave it to me 2 weeks ago and he said, that its 25$...
the chalk is maybe 75% as big as a regular chalk and so fat,that you may have to chalk every 10th shot, BUT: a poolplayer doesnt wanna chalk every 10th shot. you wanna chalk after every shot because of preshot routine and confidence on quality shots!!!
greetings

I too was given a piece of this chalk by a local rep, and have to say I like it. I have gone upwards of 100 shots without rechalking, and just yesterday won a race to three at my LPH never once chalking, from first break to last shot.

I have noticed the "blue spot" on the cue ball, but that is only for the first two or three shots after applying a fresh coat of chalk, and then it is just magic for the next 98 shots....

The way it sticks to a phenolic or EH tip is something to see. I was practicing my 9 ball power break in the hall the other day, and using my R. Howard with a phenolic tip, I chalked once and broke 25 times, no miscues, and said and done, only two distinct "dots" on the CB.

While waiting on a cig smokin' buddy the other day, I decided to mess around with it on my jump cue, again, applied the chalk, and jumped 20+ times without rechalking, then put my jumper away, and continued playing. During the next game, an opportunity came up to jump, (there were other options, but I was feeling good about the jump shot at the moment), and I pulled my jumper from the case, and stepped up to the table and sunk the ball I had to jump to, 2/3 table legnth, and over 2 balls, again without re-applying any chalk.

I've held my tongue for sometime now, but with numbers like that, the cost argument does not hold up. if you chalk between every shot, and your chalk costs .50 cents a cube, or chalk up every 100 shots at a cost of 25.00 per cube, in theory you will be using 99% less chalk, so, for the same amount of chalkings, you will be in for 50.00 worth of cheap chalk, while still on the same piece of 25.00 kamui, thereby actually saving you money, and using a higher quality product.

JMHO....

Dave

evanandpeaches

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've held my tongue for sometime now, but with numbers like that, the cost argument does not hold up. if you chalk between every shot, and your chalk costs .50 cents a cube, or chalk up every 100 shots at a cost of 25.00 per cube, in theory you will be using 99% less chalk, so, for the same amount of chalkings, you will be in for 50.00 worth of cheap chalk, while still on the same piece of 25.00 kamui, thereby actually saving you money, and using a higher quality product.

JMHO....

Dave

Who spends 50 cents on masters chalk its free in my area, they set it on the rail, so its much more cost effective to use masters. While your playing do you have to count the amount of shots you have hit between chalking so you can chalk every 100 shots? That is a lot to keep track of.

deadhead

more money than sense...
Silver Member
no, I only counted my first couple of times out with the chalk, now I just use it when it feels right, like when I notice a little less action as a result of the english I put on the shot. If you are an 8 ball player that takes an average of 5 innings per game, than you can figure that you are shooting about 8 times, plus 5 misses for a total of 13 shots per game, giving you a window of 5-8 games between chalkings, is it so hard to keep track of how many games you have shot?

D

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Who spends 50 cents on masters chalk its free in my area, they set it on the rail, so its much more cost effective to use masters. While your playing do you have to count the amount of shots you have hit between chalking so you can chalk every 100 shots? That is a lot to keep track of.

Like most folks, I tend to chalk every time i get up, out of habit. That having been said, habits can be changed. Would it be so difficult to get in the habit of taking a quick glance at your tip every now and again?

I haven't tried the Kamui chalk yet. I know I'd like to, and of course like eveyone else, I'd like it to cost less, too. I am especially interested in the use on phenolics, as I have a difficult time chalking my break cue as well as I'd like. The reports I read seem to make this a winner, at least for that purpose specifically.

If it were available and I had the extra $$$ that week, who knows, I might give it a try for the heck of it. We pretty much all pi$$ away that much on much less, every once in a while. :p (Of course on my true barometer of value, The Beer Scale, one piece of Kamui = 12 beers, not accounting for tipping... That does make it a tougher sell in my world :p)

I bet after the initial release and such, the pricing may start to come down some. Especially if someone reverse-engineers it and comes up with a similar product.

It will be interesting to watch this product and how it develops in our pool world. I'm certainly not one to knock Kamui over the price. If they can get that price for it, more power to them. They invest in our game sponsoring tournaments (and STREAMS!!!) so they're OK in my book.

evanandpeaches

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its just another thing to distract you. In my preshot routine I chalk before every shot and analyze the table while chalking so not doing it would actually hinder my game and a lot of players who have learned to chalk this way. It isnt something I ever have to think of. I walk to the table and start chalking, I make a shot then then start chalking.

rugerfan

Got a Snakewood fetish...
Silver Member
$50 for a single piece of chalk is insane...

What's a good stroke worth these days? Seems like a lot of people trying to buy themself a game and paying a premium for it, at that...

I guy I work with carries a Montblanc pen. So, we are working on a job and I ask to use his pen to write down some info. He hands me the pen and says "Be careful, thats a $500 pen...". I look at the pen, look at him and said "It doesn't matter what kind of pen you carry, in the end, all that really matters is how big of a check you can stroke with the SOB...".

He really doesn't speak to me much these days.....ah well.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
what is interesting and yet unknown about Kamui chalk, is the following imo. My friends who tried a sample cube on their hands (no cues were around at local Kamui dealer's outlet) said it is very sticky. Then I wonder how it affects the clothes if you put a stain or just bend over a dirty rail. And, what I called unknown, because there is just not enough background to study this due to short time of it being around - how it would treat the table cloth and how it will perform under the cloth.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
what is interesting and yet unknown about Kamui chalk, is the following imo. My friends who tried a sample cube on their hands (no cues were around at local Kamui dealer's outlet) said it is very sticky. Then I wonder how it affects the clothes if you put a stain or just bend over a dirty rail. And, what I called unknown, because there is just not enough background to study this due to short time of it being around - how it would treat the table cloth and how it will perform under the cloth.

Привет Vahmurka!

Are you sure that chalk they sampled was labeled Kamui, and not чукча ? :p (Sorry, I couldn't resist. :) )

If there's one thing Kamui did, is create a ton of buzz about this chalk that will last for quite some time. If they subsequently "drop" the price to $10.00 US a cube when full production starts, people will think they're getting a good deal and jump on it. Sort of a built-in "hook" via clever marketing.

Me personally? I'm a Russian Magic Chalk fan, and have been for a couple years.

-Sean

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Same as Evan. I chalk as part of my pre shot routine. It gives me the time to slow down and study the table.

The most important point for myself is that if I have to take my eyes off the table to look at the tip of the cue, I've just sharked myself.