Kamui tip question

Stockpot

Registered
Perhaps I am asking an obvious question but AZ has always been helpful. What is the difference between Kamui black and Kamui black clear. Is it just the pad underneath?

Also, I have been on a search for. a new medium tip that plays a touch more on the hard side. I have played with the Kamui black clear medium and the Kamui black clear hard and they are good but in a perfect world I am looking for something that plays in between. Thank you in advance. Not brand loyal on new tips yet so any advice is appreciated.

PracticeChampion

Perhaps I am asking an obvious question but AZ has always been helpful. What is the difference between Kamui black and Kamui black clear. Is it just the pad underneath?

Also, I have been on a search for. a new medium tip that plays a touch more on the hard side. I have played with the Kamui black clear medium and the Kamui black clear hard and they are good but in a perfect world I am looking for something that plays in between. Thank you in advance. Not brand loyal on new tips yet so any advice is appreciated.
Try a medium ultra skin fire. Definitely firmer than a standard medium but not quite a hard

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?

I agree with PracticeChampion. You should like the UltraSkin Fire medium. Plus it is a fraction of the cost and won't glaze over like Kamui (at least in my experience).

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ultraskin Black or Fire hard or a Thoroughbred med/hard will probably fit your bill. All are great tips.

Zerksies

The clear has to do with consistency. They state that glue does not gets absorbed into the tip. I'd assume they glue the clear pad to the tip. But i would think that the amount of glue is consistent across the board on all tips versus what we would put on.

I've been using them for about 3 months now. I really don't see the glazing that they talk about. I don't know what people expect? You put a tip on and never have to touch it ever again? I pretty much touch my tip every session. It's either shaping it or scuffing it. Any tip is pretty much going to "glaze" it's going to flatten and smooth out.

What i do like is the consistent hit on the ball, Not just one cue tip in general. I have several shaft with the same hardness tip and it feels the same across the board.

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
The clear has to do with consistency. They state that glue does not gets absorbed into the tip. I'd assume they glue the clear pad to the tip. But i would think that the amount of glue is consistent across the board on all tips versus what we would put on.

I've been using them for about 3 months now. I really don't see the glazing that they talk about. I don't know what people expect? You put a tip on and never have to touch it ever again? I pretty much touch my tip every session. It's either shaping it or scuffing it. Any tip is pretty much going to "glaze" it's going to flatten and smooth out.

What i do like is the consistent hit on the ball, Not just one cue tip in general. I have several shaft with the same hardness tip and it feels the same across the board.

I have to admit I like the look of the clear pad and left it on the first time I replace my tip. The clear pad can be added to any tip if you like it. To avoid over absorption of glue into the tip I first apply a small amount of glue to the tip, smear it around on a flat surface, and re-sand flat after dry. This creates a thin barrier to protect the tip from over absorbing the final glue.

I agree any tip will smooth out after repeated shots. I don't mess with my tip every time anymore, just when needed. What I was experiencing with Kamui was the tip becoming smoother much faster requiring touch ups every time. The "smoothness" was also more sever, bordering on slick i.e. glazed.

The Kamui is a popular tip. Many players do like it's performance, but I have had great performance and greater consistency with Thoroughbreds and UltraSkins.