Kamui tips - has anyone had any problem with them

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I was playing some 9 ball with my Son who has a Kamui SS on his main playing Cue. A Bmc Pro 4 Meucci . He is a really good player who is coming along Nicely . He is left handed and has a Beautiful Stroke, CJ Wiley took him to the next leval and he has been shooting really good . But , It seems that the Kamui is miscueing alot . It has been on there about 6 months and seems to be getting really hard. I tried scuffing it up and reshaping it but it does not seem to help. He was a big fan of them and they seem to be the rage in tips , But i am not seeing what makes them worth $ 35.00 . On the other hand my other Son's cue just had a new triangle put on about 2 weeks ago and it seems to play fantastic. I used triangle a few years ago and was having alot of trouble with them. So I switched to ultraskin which seem to play really well. I like a Medium tip , I tried a Tiger Everest and really like it . It seems to take english really well. I was wondering if Triangle has worked out the problems and if any of you experience the issues with Kamui as well. I wanted to try a Tiger Sniper but my dealer does not have them. Also going to get a few blue sib tips to try. But for $10 and a shaft clean included that Triangle is looking pretty darn good compared to the $ 35 Kamui.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 week old tip vs a 6 month old tip.

Kamui tips are known to harden over use more than others, the black softs that my son and I use often firm up to a medium feel pretty quickly. I swapped to using Precision tips due to this. I have used the brown Kamui tips that faired better with their softness rating over time than the black models, but the black models feel better when new and for a few months after.

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I have the same problem with Kamui tips. They start miscuing after about two months. I switched to Kamikaze Black Mediums and they play about the same hardness as The Kamui Black Soft. They are made with a more rubbery type of glue and never start miscuing. Have been using them about three years now.

crazysnake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend Outsville medium soft, or mediums. Their techno dud is also very good.

I really appreciate what Kamui does to support our game.

I find that I get the same playing results from less expensive good quality tips, so why pay more.

I also install my own tips.

I also cannot remember the last time I miscued.

I highly recommend using chalk before every shot, and occasionally scuffing your tip.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started out with Elkmaster or equivalent blue ones on the house cues. Then the inevitable Le Pro, Triangle, Tad, Chandivert, and unknown on my personal cues. Went with WD when I used to hammer balls, Switched back to Elkmaster by happenstance and won't use anything else anymore.

Never had a problem with Kamui.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purchased handful of KAMUI Medium, pro install, small time the tips seem to get waxy, mushy.
Removed all Kamui and installed LePro and Elkmaster and Tzar and Precision.

Like the ElkMaster, Like the Tzar, didn't care for the LePro.
* * Loved the PRECISION * *

Attachments

• IMG_3071c.jpg
    IMG_3071c.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 519
  • tzar_1524602559_tzar.jpg
    tzar_1524602559_tzar.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 498

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have about a dozen high quality cues. I play with a different cue each week, just because I enjoy the qualities of each cue. Every cue has a least one Ultraskin soft tip- I never had a miscue - but I also think they play more soft/medium than pure soft.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been a long time fan of Kamui black SS.

I recently bought four more as my original stock, bought years ago, was depleted. And I'm about to remove the first one I just put on a couple of weeks ago. It's harden up quite a bit and I'm hearing a tink that I believe to be a delaminated layer.

I'll be looking to try something new.

Lou Figueroa

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys who use a Triangle tip think they have improved or worked out the kinks

I have used them for 20 years. Never had any problems.
Always installed by a pro. I know if you buy a box there
are some duds but my installer must be able to figure
out which are bad.

I had the same experience with Kamui ( tried several over
a period of 7 years), junk.

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tiger makes great tips all in house. Never had a problem with them. I've used the Onyx and Sniper tips.

I don't scuff them or shape them ever, just apply chalk.

Kdogster

Registered
I notice my last super soft Kamui tip mushroomed pretty badly. Also, after you hit enough balls with super soft, they get harder as the leather compacts, so you probably are playing with a medium tip, once you break them in. If you need the super soft tip, you'll probably have to replace them with new ones pretty frequently.

Earlier this year, I switched to Kamui medium clear. The clear layer is meant to create a good surface for gluing and prevent glue from being absorbed by the bottom layers of leather. Does it help? Not sure; it could be some genius marketing ploy. So far, I have not seen any mushrooming. I do miscue occasionally, but I can usually trace it to something I'm doing --- dipping my cue on extreme draw, not chalking, too long of a bridge on extreme english shots.

Occasionally, I'll notice some "tink" sounds with Revo shaft and Kamui tip, but now I'm noticing it happens because the uni-loc joint is not tight.

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Tiger Everest and the Predator Soft tip that came on the 12.4 REVO. Both play/feel just fine. Kamui can be hit or miss from my experience.

HueblerHustler7

AndrewActionG
Silver Member
Kamui Blacks glaze over way to easy. Kamui original brown softs are pretty decent. But Zan tips are by far my favorite and go to tip, little to no mushrooming on their soft or precious soft tip. shape and cut extreme well. Chalk adhesion is good even when glazed. They have a great tone any harness of tip.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have about a dozen high quality cues. I play with a different cue each week, just because I enjoy the qualities of each cue. Every cue has a least one Ultraskin soft tip- I never had a miscue - but I also think they play more soft/medium than pure soft.

I use the Ultraskin black soft tips.

I cut the Kamui Black Super Soft tips off my cues when they started miscuing and will never use them again.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
No kidding, after milk duds/techno duds/kitech I’ll never mess with layered tips again. Kamui changes hardness and you have to mess with them too much. Currently I’m playing with a hard techno dud and love it. Good feel, no mushrooming and holds chalk well. I used a tip pick and once in a while a gator grip if I really dog a shot and miscue. Duds feel perfect, god chalk, don’t mushroom like non pressed tips. They are seriously worth trying. Also cost between 50 cents to $10 depending on diy or where you get them.