Kim Davenport's Safety Escape

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Definitely a great shot.

I have this match on Accu-Stats--it's the Valley Forge Finals from December 17, 1989. Davenport actually played terrific, but you wouldn't know it from the final score because Hopkins played about as close to perfect as you can play in both his safeties and running out, and won 13-5.

AuntyDan

/* Insert skill here */
Silver Member
Yes, I have this match on an old Accustats VHS tape. It's one of those shots that come up so occasionally, but if you are a very good player who practices them every so often can work out spectacularly.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chembry said:
Has anyone ever seen this safety escape by Kim Davenport? Just to hit the ball was hard enough and then to get safe in return was amazing.

http://billiardsdigest.com/new_strokeofgenius/jun08index.php

Kim used the points better than any player in history, I saw him often fire his $$ ball in one pocket at the point on the oppsite side pocket straight back into his pocket for big $$$ many many times, or like that shot in the link come 2 points across the short rail(not the long rail like in the video) and make good things happen, He used the points all the time and with a very high % success rate. Infact I never saw any pro use the points 10% as much as Kim, thats something he should be known for as he was the best at it, and still is. I know him since 85 and watched him play ALOT, he is a great guy too.

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
Playing against my Brother in Law for a $5.00 set I would never ever think about trying to make that shot. Even if I had thought it was an option, what a shot!

arsenius

Nothing ever registers...
Silver Member
That's a great shot! I had never considered using the points to get to a ball that far away. I've seen them used when corner hooked, but I've never seen them intentionally shot at! Sweet!

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Chembry said:
Has anyone ever seen this safety escape by Kim Davenport? Just to hit the ball was hard enough and then to get safe in return was amazing.

http://billiardsdigest.com/new_strokeofgenius/jun08index.php

The outcome is about 99% luck, as Davenport himself said. Just about all of the "amazing" shots linked on that Billiards Digest page are the same: somebody forced to shoot a Hail Mary shot that just happened to work out.

Those are fun to watch, but they don't impress me. I'd rather see a collection of not-so-flashy shots that show the real skills these guys have (Corey's massive draw shot is an example of one that's skilled and flashy).

pj
chgo

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
The outcome is about 99% luck, as Davenport himself said. Just about all of the "amazing" shots linked on that Billiards Digest page are the same: somebody forced to shoot a Hail Mary shot that just happened to work out.

Those are fun to watch, but they don't impress me. I'd rather see a collection of not-so-flashy shots that show the real skills these guys have (Corey's massive draw shot is an example of one that's skilled and flashy).

pj
chgo

In this particular shot, I don't see any other route to the ball do you? When its the ONLY shot possible and it's pulled off, even with luck, I find it to be very intelligent luck, much better than just handing whitey to you opponent.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Me:

IslandDrive:
In this particular shot, I don't see any other route to the ball do you? When its the ONLY shot possible and it's pulled off, even with luck, I find it to be very intelligent luck, much better than just handing whitey to you opponent.

I didn't say he should give up (although there might have been an intentional foul shot that would tie some balls up) - I just said there was a lot of luck involved and so I'm not impressed with the shot execution.

pj
chgo

jcrack_corn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ahh, feels like rsb. 10 years later and still the same.

Patrick Johnson said:
I didn't say he should give up (although there might have been an intentional foul shot that would tie some balls up) - I just said there was a lot of luck involved and so I'm not impressed with the shot execution.

pj
chgo