Kinister 1 hour workout

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also miscue on shot #2 more than I might like (to do it the way BK does is hard ... he makes it look ... well ... "fairly do-able.") It's nowhere near as "easy" (for me) and is actually very difficult (for me) to execute consistently

Note there are two shot number 2's. 2A is a super soft shot that replaces the OB with the CB. Get good at this and then set it up as a 10-15 degree angle and you will be amazed how much you can hold the cue ball and still make the OB. It's often better to hit a regular stroke and go to a rail but sometimes that is not possible, and you need this shot in your arsenal.

Shot 2B is the power draw shot. On some later video, I think Bert says he wishes he did not put this shot in the 60 minute video. Doing this on an 8-9 foot table (or a 7 foot with fuzzy cloth) takes a good stroke and you should get the stop shot (#1) and other shots down first.

A few tips I've found are useful for a power draw:
- Cradle the cue butt. Hold it with two fingers, the thumb and first finger. Soft grip...
- Have a very loose wrist
- Pull back a little more on your final back stroke (Daz also mentions this in his Perfect Practice DVD)
- Tighten up your bridge. I find if I don't use a tight bridge hand my cue wobbles left and right during my practice strokes
- Start practicing with the CB at center table and OB about 1.5 diamond from the corner. Pocket 5 balls trying to back the CB 1/2 way to its starting position. Pocket 5 balls trying to draw the CB all the way back to its starting position. Then pocket 5 balls trying to draw the CB to the end rail. Next back up the CB about a half diamond and repeat. If you can't draw back to the end rail, keep going at the other two variations and over a few weeks it will come to you. I do this drill starting from five CB locations, varying from center table back to the foot string spot. Doing this for a few weeks worked wonders on my stroke. But it requires regular practice; the stroke will fade away if you quit practicing.
- Experiment. I worked out the above with Bert's help and one of his key tips was that I should experiment with different techniques until I hit upon what worked for me. We discussed various methods but I had to keep trying different things until the above recipe worked for me.

-Jeff

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't want to come off as annoying but can someone tell me what English exactly to use on all of these shots? Or should I practice all with various English?

Bert shoots each shot multiple times in video #1 and explains how to hit it. His entire 100 video collection is available for a subscription of something like $25/month. www.bertkinister.com

mikeiniowa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been to his house twice for lessons and bought his first 30 tapes on VHS.
I haven't done the workout in 15 years and showed it to a friend and I am going to try it again.
The diagrams I have, are no where near as nice as these.

I didn't know bert sold diagrams of the workout?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pandemic related frustration. I've been trying to nail #4 since last April. I think I did it once after walking into my basement and pot, plop, I made it. But I didn't pay any attention and don't know how it happened.

That was six months ago. I may never get close again. I hate this.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pandemic related frustration. I've been trying to nail #4 since last April. I think I did it once after walking into my basement and pot, plop, I made it. But I didn't pay any attention and don't know how it happened.

That was six months ago. I may never get close again. I hate this.
You probably aren't using enough side. That shot's not possible on some tables (if it's #4 by the OP).

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve seen Earl practice that shot except his cue ball was in the kitchen. He has no problem making the object ball and getting the cue around 3 rails and back into the kitchen. I wish I had Earl’s stroke.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. My nightmare continues. Maybe three times in three years. That spin hurts. I'm a geezer, please don't remind me again.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks Bob. My nightmare continues. Maybe three times in three years. That spin hurts. I'm a geezer, please don't remind me again.
Does the shot require you to return the cue ball to exactly the middle of the table or do you get a margin for error?

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, back in the center. I can pot the ball, no problem. Getting position is frustrating. CB likes to scratch in the other corner. The margin I guess is a sheet of notebook paper. Outside I can make the OB and bring the CB back. Two rails, no.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, back in the center. I can pot the ball, no problem. Getting position is frustrating. CB likes to scratch in the other corner. The margin I guess is a sheet of notebook paper. Outside I can make the OB and bring the CB back. Two rails, no.
With inside spin can you hit the second cushion at least a diamond from the pocket?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
No. If I could do that regularly I'd have center table down, it would just be speed.
If you shoot the cue ball straight up the center of the table with side spin, how far above the side pockets can you hit? (no object ball involved in this test)

tomatoshooter

You probably aren't using enough side. That shot's not possible on some tables (if it's #4 by the OP).
I can get most of the shots but my path tends to be slightly different. The cloth can make a huge difference. I think on that particular shot, my cue ball hits the end rail closer to the corner pocket and then runs longer off the side rail, but it will still get to the center of the table.