Klenti Kaci - play faster

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people's attention spans are shrinking more and more. It's to the point that a short paragraph in a message gets a comment like "I can't read that novel". It's sad. Anyone saying that he is unwatchable, and should somehow change his game, should really take a look within themselves and change *their* game, mentally. Impatience correlates closely with selfishness, and that too is strongly on the rise. In my book, at the end of the day, a guy playing pool slowly is nowhere near as bad as the whole selfish fidgeting impatience breeding across the country.

People crying over their own lack of maturity and self control that they likely have contempt for in others who have it is a bigger detriment to games like pool than slow play. There are far more self absorbed dim people in the game than slow players.

That said, a shot clock is a reasonable solution.

Kaci seemed to do ok at the US Open.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Cool story bro.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think people's attention spans are shrinking more and more. It's to the point that a short paragraph in a message gets a comment like "I can't read that novel". It's sad. Anyone saying that he is unwatchable, and should somehow change his game, should really take a look within themselves and change *their* game, mentally. Impatience correlates closely with selfishness, and that too is strongly on the rise. In my book, at the end of the day, a guy playing pool slowly is nowhere near as bad as the whole selfish fidgeting impatience breeding across the country.

People crying over their own lack of maturity and self control that they likely have contempt for in others who have it is a bigger detriment to games like pool than slow play. There are far more self absorbed dim people in the game than slow players.

KMRUNOUT

Could only get through .... "I think ........." Too many words after that... :grin:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How much time?

I don't know how much time a player should be allowed to take a shot. I prefer watching a pace shooters like Shaw, Filler, Strickland exhibit. But, is it right to think they are the decider or standard for time allowed?

For me Filler and Strickland have exhibited far more annoying habits then any slow player I have watched.

I do want to watch Filler and Kaci in a long match with winner breaks some day and think Kaci would be smart to slow the game down and Filler smart to speed the game up.

Any thing that hinders the ability of your opponent to come with their best game works to your advantage. How long is the shot clock in the worlds big snooker tournaments?

Should a shot clock time frame be the same for all games, 9 Ball, One Pocket, etc?

At the end of the day I like the option of being able to quit watching if some ones style of play is not worth my time to watch.

As far as time between shots hurting pool goes, I don't think that is why there is not a big fan base and cash prize and media coverage of pool games. The world has moved on and pool just is not that interesting to most of the people in the U.S.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do want to watch Filler and Kaci in a long match with winner breaks some day and think Kaci would be smart to slow the game down and Filler smart to speed the game up.

Any thing that hinders the ability of your opponent to come with their best game works to your advantage. How long is the shot clock in the worlds big snooker tournaments?
This is asymmetric warfare. The fast player has no way to force the turtle to speed up while the turtle has the ability to slow the match down by staring at the balls for 30 extra seconds in between each shot.

I'm more busting Kaci's balls than anything. At least he looks like he's examining the table and considering his options. Ko Pin Yi and Kevin Cheng know what kind of shot they want to hit but then do 25 air strokes and 5 up-and-down realignments for no apparent reason before finally delivering the stroke.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.

"This is asymmetric warfare. The fast player has no way to force the turtle to speed up while the turtle has the ability to slow the match down by staring at the balls for 30 extra seconds in between each shot.

I'm more busting Kaci's balls than anything. At least he looks like he's examining the table and considering his options. Ko Pin Yi and Kevin Cheng know what kind of shot they want to hit but then do 25 air strokes and 5 up-and-down realignments for no apparent reason before finally delivering the stroke."

Right you are skip100. I think they know what they are doing and do it for a reason.

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[ We have accepted slow payers like Archer, Souquet or Ko Pin Yi, I see no reason why we can't accept Kaci's pace. Not everybody can play the game like Shaw or Filler.[/QUOTE]

archer at the present time is real slow. he wasn't like that during the 90's. if he was slow it was to figure out how to get out. after that the pace would quicken and the systematic process would be in motion.

this kaci guy no doubt has talent. but I just don't have the patience to sit through an entire rack when he's playing.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That said, a shot clock is a reasonable solution. :yes:
KMRUNOUT
Good observations about human nature, sir.
:thumbup:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shot clock should be mandatory in every tourney

I really think the 30 second clock in Mosconi was too short. Several times I saw players running to change equipment, or bringing two cues to the table, in case they needed to jump, only to literally toss the unused cue on the floor so that they could beat the clock.

For most shots it wasn't an issue but as I said, it happened several times.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and before someone chimes in with "use the extension" you only get one, and several times that was used right after the break...

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a player is in action its nobody's business except him and his opponent.
But if its a tournament with spectators its differrent.
Especially when there's people trying to promote the sport its frustrating for them.
Its also tough on people that draw him that get frustrated having to sit there and wait forever to get back to the table.

I remember Ken Shuman was commentating a Jason Klatt match on Accu-stats.
he was getting so annoyed he went out and started arguing with Klatt about his slow play.
Klatt argued that it wasnt his business or Accu-stats business how he plays. Hes got a point but I think it doesnt just hurt Accu-stats but spectators in general.

I personally found Kaci slower than Klatt. unbearable and yes unwatchable.

In one match his opponent made a statement by putting his coat on while it took Kaci 6 minutes to run 8 open balls
https://youtu.be/M0mO3owUlUY?t=8483

Hold on a second there Earl!

Kaci took to the table at 2:21:20
Nine ball conceded at 2:26:27
Total time 5:07

With a 30 second shot clock eight shots would take 8 X 0:30 = 4:00
Plus a 30 second extension = 4:30

Kaci total time = 5:07
shot clock time = 4:30
difference = 0:37

YOU ARE REALLY THAT UPSET ABOUT A GUY SHOOTING THIRTY SEVEN SECONDS SLOWER THAN A SHOT CLOCK WOULD HAVE HAD HIM SHOOT!

Get a life guy. He took extra time to steady his nerves and ensure that he made the proper decision during a hill game in quarters of the world championships, which he evidently did. His opponent did not put his jacket on to make a statement his opponent put his jacket on cause he new was outsville!

Not everybody shoots as fast as Jayson Shaw. Shane can be quite slow at times and I don't see too many people complaining there.

Last edited:

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

Great post, Sir!

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

YOU ARE REALLY THAT UPSET ABOUT A GUY SHOOTING THIRTY SEVEN SECONDS SLOWER THAN A SHOT CLOCK WOULD HAVE HAD HIM SHOOT!

Get a life guy. He took extra time to steady his nerves and ensure that he made the proper decision during a hill game in quarters of the world championships, which he evidently did. His opponent did not put his jacket on to make a statement his opponent put his jacket on cause he new was outsville!

Not everybody shoots as fast as Jayson Shaw. Shane can be quite slow at times and I don't see too many people complaining there.
The shot clock is an upper limit. Most shots can be hit in far less time than the shot clock allows.

gordml

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Earl who?
Since the 9 was conceded that's 7 balls in 5:07 minutes (44 secs/shot)

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A comedian once quipped that when you're driving everyone else is either a moron (if they're slower than you) or a maniac (if they're faster). "Out of my way you morons! Whoa, watch out you maniac!"

Pool seems the same to me. I watch guys like Shaw and feel they are maniacs at the table to play so quickly when titles are on the line. It seems reckless. While when I watch Klenti play it seems deliberate and slow but not unreasonably so. It doesn't cause me pain to watch. But there are a few players I've bumped into that are so slow I can relate to the pain others say they feel when they watch Klenti.

The point is that it is very relative. If someone is within tolerance of your own pace it doesn't seem to be an issue. It's also odd how painful it is for someone faster. It's like a slow loading internet page. When every time you click a link you have to wait 5-10 seconds to load. It's like we become stone cold monkey tilted.

There are only a few possible outcomes. One is the shot clock forcing players to speed up. Another is for faster players to find a way to control their minds well enough that they can watch a slower paced match without melting down and crying like a baby. Realistically things will probably stay as they are and a new thread like this will pop up once a month, along with all of the other things people complain about.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

KMRUNOUT

Actually it says a lot about a player's confidence when they shoot so slowly.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
His pace is indeed quite slow, but we should never forget that we're talking about a very talented 18 year old kid playing for the biggest title there is in pool. We have accepted slow payers like Archer, Souquet or Ko Pin Yi, I see no reason why we can't accept Kaci's pace. Not everybody can play the game like Shaw or Filler.

Those guys never shot as slow as Kaci.

Anyone that is supportive of this kid's pace has no real desire to see this sport become any more popular.

You couldn't pay someone from the general public to watch this kid play.