Kaci took to the table at 2:21:20
Nine ball conceded at 2:26:27
Total time 5:07

With a 30 second shot clock eight shots would take 8 X 0:30 = 4:00
Plus a 30 second extension = 4:30

Kaci total time = 5:07
shot clock time = 4:30
difference = 0:37

YOU ARE REALLY THAT UPSET ABOUT A GUY SHOOTING THIRTY SEVEN SECONDS SLOWER THAN A SHOT CLOCK WOULD HAVE HAD HIM SHOOT!

Get a life guy. He took extra time to steady his nerves and ensure that he made the proper decision during a hill game in quarters of the world championships, which he evidently did. His opponent did not put his jacket on to make a statement his opponent put his jacket on cause he new was outsville!

Not everybody shoots as fast as Jayson Shaw. Shane can be quite slow at times and I don't see too many people complaining there.

You are assuming that he would have waited right up until the timer expiration before he shoots.

Which he would not.

Even if he pushed the envelope, he likely shoots each ball in at the 0.23-0.25 mark, giving a time savings of way over a minute across the entire rack.. And that's just ONE rack.

Short Bus Russ

erhino41

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did miscount, my bad. However, are we really at the point where 44 seconds per shot is painstakingly slow? You've got to be kidding me. You could pay me all day to watch this kid play. I've watched a lot of this kid shooting lately and I will register no complaints about his game. He takes more time than a lot of other shooters, but it seems he is also doing it better than a lot of other shooters.

I just watched most of his semi match. I didn't see a player that was playing too slow, I saw a careful player playing pretty damn good pool.

If you think this kids pace of play is what is keeping this game from catching fire, your living in some dream world. Many other issues, his pace of play doesn't even make the list.

If you can't beat him, knock him!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl who?
Since the 9 was conceded that's 7 balls in 5:07 minutes (44 secs/shot)
Good spot :)

Those guys never shot as slow as Kaci.

Agreed. If Archer does not pick lint or remove balls from pockets , he will be even faster :)

I did miscount, my bad. However, are we really at the point where 44 seconds per shot is painstakingly slow? You've got to be kidding me. You could pay me all day to watch this kid play. I've watched a lot of this kid shooting lately and I will register no complaints about his game. He takes more time than a lot of other shooters, but it seems he is also doing it better than a lot of other shooters.

I just watched most of his semi match. I didn't see a player that was playing too slow, I saw a careful player playing pretty damn good pool.

If you think this kids pace of play is what is keeping this game from catching fire, your living in some dream world. Many other issues, his pace of play doesn't even make the list.

If you can't beat him, knock him!

Fact: Average was 44sec for that rack which exceeds usual shot clock limit 30sec by almost 50% and you say that is not slow?
He is slower than the limit and many others also say he is slow. That is fair comment. But you knocked other poster asking him to get a life when you get your numbers and your facts wrong.
Saying people knock him because they cannot beat him is a low blow and easy accusation to throw. In case you did not notice, people are praising his talent just not his slowness.
And I would still watch slow classy professional Kaci over brash and fast showboat Filler. :)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Holy devil! Is he that slow every rack? Or only because the hill game? I almost turned it off after the 2nd ball I thought I was going to die, but I owed it to this thread to watch the whole rack. ha ha

While I was watching that painful run-out...I was picturing Mosconi and Butera watching
...Willie said you can't be a great player without rhythm...a tricky spin shot in the middle
of a run is much easier than shooting it cold as an opening shot...Willie would've left. :rolleyes:
Lou would've watched three shots...and thrown a chair at him as he left....:angry:
..Lou could run a rack at straight pool in a minute.

:yes:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Fast or slow this kid plays great and seems like a genuinely nice guy. Klenti has a classy post on his Face Book Page.

Bronxe medal World 🌍 9 ball championship 🇦🇱🇦🇱🇦🇱💪🔛🔝
First I have to thanx Ian Anderson for giving me a wildcard to participate.
This year was e great year for me and I’m feeling very glad ☝️ looking forward for next year to become World number 1 in the ranking 🌍🇦🇱

About the semi final for a nice start the referee told me in the beginning of the match you play very slow can you please play faster😳😂 anyway congratulations to Carlo Biado the new World Champion 2017 and to runner up Roland Garzia 👏👏👏 well deserved .

I wanna thanx everyone for supporting me and the nice words and staying late at night just to follow me 😘😘❤️

Tomorrow flying home 🇦🇱 wish to everyone Merry Christmas 🎄 and Happy New Year 🎊🎈

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
its very easy to fix. the t.d. or promoter of the tournament just needs to tell those that are not conducive to helping the event prosper that they are not welcome to enter.

you will be surprised how they will change to fit the situation.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard what sounded like two people clapping. His pace is Straight Pool slow, but it seems natural for him to take his time. He is always looking three balls ahead. He may speed up as he gets older and discovers his game will actually improve. There really isn't any reason for him to take so long when he is playing position for a quarter of the table landing spot.

I like the way Maung clapped for him as Kaci got position on the nine ball and got up and conceded at that point.

I like your analysis about Klenti. He is now one of my favorite players in the world. His mother and I have made friends on Facebook, and she sends me photos of him when he was a young boy. She is very sweet and so very proud of him.

We all should remember that he's 18 and playing in these high-pressure settings. I think he handles himself very good.

I love what you said about Maung clapping for him. That is pretty cool! :cool:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... Kaci seemed to do ok at the US Open. ...

I imagine a shot clock can be implemented outside the streaming arena at the Open if a special need arises, but, normally, I think a shot clock is used only for streamed matches (and not even for all of those). I have no information about KaÇi's pace of play in the non-streamed matches this year.

KaÇi was in 6 of the 39 matches streamed by Accu-Stats. Some of the matches Accu-Stats streams (about a dozen this year) are not "full production" (a smaller staff is used), and one of the differences in these matches is that a shot clock is not normally used. Two of KaÇi's 6 streamed matches were not full production, but a shot clock was added late in one of them because of the pace of play.

Some stats:

• The longest of the 39 matches in elapsed time, at 163 minutes, was KaÇi d. Appleton 11-8. The elapsed time was measured from the lag until the winning ball was pocketed (or conceded), so it includes time for racking and timeouts.

• The average match length for all 39 matches was 104 minutes. The average for KaÇi's 6 matches was 129 minutes. One of those 6 matches was the Finals against Shaw, in which KaÇi spent little time at the table because of the match's lopsided nature (13-4), including 11 games in which he pocketed no balls at all. Excluding that quick match, the average length of KaÇi's other 5 matches was 137 minutes. The average for the 33 matches in which KaÇi did not play was 100 minutes.

• The two matches highest in average minutes per game (out of all 39 matches), each at 8.6 min./game, were KaÇi d. Appleton 11-8 and KaÇi d. Sanchez-Ruiz 11-7.

• The average minutes per game for all 39 matches was 6.0. The average for KaÇi's 6 matches was 7.2. Excluding the quick Finals with Shaw, KaÇi's matches averaged 7.6 minutes per game. The average for the 33 matches in which KaÇi did not play was 5.8 min./game.

Last edited:

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A comedian once quipped that when you're driving everyone else is either a moron (if they're slower than you) or a maniac (if they're faster). "Out of my way you morons! Whoa, watch out you maniac!"

Pool seems the same to me. I watch guys like Shaw and feel they are maniacs at the table to play so quickly when titles are on the line. It seems reckless. While when I watch Klenti play it seems deliberate and slow but not unreasonably so. It doesn't cause me pain to watch. But there are a few players I've bumped into that are so slow I can relate to the pain others say they feel when they watch Klenti.

The point is that it is very relative. If someone is within tolerance of your own pace it doesn't seem to be an issue. It's also odd how painful it is for someone faster. It's like a slow loading internet page. When every time you click a link you have to wait 5-10 seconds to load. It's like we become stone cold monkey tilted.

There are only a few possible outcomes. One is the shot clock forcing players to speed up. Another is for faster players to find a way to control their minds well enough that they can watch a slower paced match without melting down and crying like a baby. Realistically things will probably stay as they are and a new thread like this will pop up once a month, along with all of the other things people complain about.

Wow we are 100% on the same page. Literally I think haha. Great post.

KMRUNOUT

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually it says a lot about a player's confidence when they shoot so slowly.

What do you think it says? Are you suggesting Kaci has a lot of confidence or a little? I think your statement varies for different people. Probably also depends a lot on your personal definition of "confidence". I'd be happy to hear any and all of those things. I'm intrigued.

KMRUNOUT

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do you think it says? Are you suggesting Kaci has a lot of confidence or a little? I think your statement varies for different people. Probably also depends a lot on your personal definition of "confidence". I'd be happy to hear any and all of those things. I'm intrigued.

KMRUNOUT

I think he lacks confidence (as is the case with a lot of slow players).

It's also surprising, considering just how well Kaci plays. Playing as slow as he does has never been a necessity (no matter the scenario). Taking 5 minutes to run 7 balls on a wide open table is ludicrous. I don't believe me saying so is a knock on my attention span. I watch pool to be entertained. Watching a guy stare at every shot as it's his first and play the "get up-get down-get up-get down" game; is not my idea of entertainment. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

Now I'm not saying every player should play as fast as someone like Shaw. But certainly somewhere in between is reasonable for any player.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think he lacks confidence (as is the case with a lot of slow players).

It's also surprising, considering just how well Kaci plays. Playing as slow as he does has never been a necessity (no matter the scenario). Taking 5 minutes to run 7 balls on a wide open table is ludicrous. I don't believe me saying so is a knock on my attention span. I watch pool to be entertained. Watching a guy stare at every shot as it's his first and play the "get up-get down-get up-get down" game; is not my idea of entertainment. I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

Now I'm not saying every player should play as fast as someone like Shaw. But certainly somewhere in between is reasonable for any player.

You may have a point...somewhere. When I watch Kaci, he looks very focused when he gets down to shoot and he delivers a solid, confident stroke on the cue ball. I have yet to see him go through a ball badly or with a weak stroke. Those are the kind of things that I look for to tell whether a guy is playing with confidence. But what do I know? :cool:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the way Maung clapped for him as Kaci got position on the nine ball and got up and conceded at that point.

Watch as Dennis beats Maung in this match

Dennis has an almost identical final 2 balls on the table. Maung concedes the last ball, but doesn't clap for Dennis.

Also, when Maung claps for Kaci, he does so before the audience starts applauding. No one does that as it could be considered a form of sharking. When I first saw the video, I thought Maung's applause was meant to be sarcastic. As in, "Thank God, that's finally over."

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You may have a point...somewhere. When I watch Kaci, he looks very focused when he gets down to shoot and he delivers a solid, confident stroke on the cue ball. I have yet to see him go through a ball badly or with a weak stroke. Those are the kind of things that I look for to tell whether a guy is playing with confidence. But what do I know? :cool:

Do you think he wouldn't be able to deliver the same stroke if he sped up?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Watch as Dennis beats Maung in this match

Dennis has an almost identical final 2 balls on the table. Maung concedes the last ball, but doesn't clap for Dennis.

Also, when Maung claps for Kaci, he does so before the audience starts applauding. No one does that as it could be considered a form of sharking. When I first saw the video, I thought Maung's applause was meant to be sarcastic. As in, "Thank God, that's finally over."

Dennis ran that last rack in the same amount of time it takes Kaci to make one ball! :smile:
What I didn't like was that Maung got up and started walking before Dennis shot the final nine ball (nothing sharks Dennis). He did give him a sincere looking hand shake and smile after it was over though.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think he wouldn't be able to deliver the same stroke if he sped up?

That remains to be seen. If you watch him a little more closely, he does speed up toward the end of each rack, on the last few balls, where he does not have to look three balls ahead anymore. It doesn't seem to have any effect on his game.

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That remains to be seen. If you watch him a little more closely, he does speed up toward the end of each rack, on the last few balls, where he does not have to look three balls ahead anymore. It doesn't seem to have any effect on his game.

Exactly.

Which is why I keep saying slow play is not necessary.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
5898347C-656B-4FBA-92CE-54D1EBEADEF9.jpeg

As Eklenti matures, I expect him to speed up....and he will play even better.
...when you’re that methodical, you’re cold on every shot.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched him at the Ocean State event in his first round against an A player and it went hill-hill and took almost 3 hours. The kid plays great but I would rather watch paint dry.