Ko and Chang join Bugsy?

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just noticed this article in the front page. Taiwanese stars Pin-Yi Ko and Jung-Lin Chang joining Filipino stable Bugsy Promotions? This seems unprecedented that a Taiwanese pool player would crossover to affiliate himself with a Filipino pool organization. I'm curious as to how the Taiwanese pool community feels about this. I would think that some would consider this as a form of defection.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I searched and haven't found anything discussing this.

kano

Unbelievable!!!!!
Silver Member
. . . interesting, never saw that one coming! i guess a steady salary and sponsorship for a pool player trumps everything no matter what country it comes from.

aren't both guys a product of the state sponsored taiwanese pool machine? how does this sit with them? just wondering how all this stuff works.

kano

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bump. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Because of this transnational precedent, how likely would it be to see a Westerner (such as Appleton or SVB) join a Filipino stable?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I don't think that the "pool machine" in Taiwan is state sponsored. Mr Tu, the head of the APBU and also the CTBA (sp), the Taiwanese association, works very hard to get sponsors to commit to supporting pool in Taiwan. The only state sponsoring that I know of is that pool is a sport that kids can learn in school and when they do then like every other sport they are encouraged to practice hard and properly.

Regarding being managed by Bugsy Sports? Who cares???? They are professionals right? Shouldn't professionals be allowed to choose who will manage them? They didn't renounce their country or anything. I think it says more about Phillipine billiards that they were able to attract two top players into their organization and that they felt that they could do something for these players alongside their longstanding group of players already playing under their banner.

We don't know the inside particulars of the arrangement either. It PROBABLY is a move that has a lot to do with the Big Time billiards broadcasts. Like boxers it's not only about your talent but also who you are aligned with that gets you the fights.

Note: I haven't read the press release, this is just my gut reaction.

gopi-1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're moving the chains for pool in the Philippines and Asia as a whole. Sponsors such as Bugsy is a big, big plus for ANY serious pro pool player. I won't be surprised if they will try to add a couple of European players to their stable too. SVB, maybe? They also have this in mind:

"The PBB Face Off will resume on February 18, 2012 with a new format. The organizing committee lined up a match pitting
Philippines versus The Rest of Asia, Asia versus Europe and East versus West."

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=9608

Last edited:

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding being managed by Bugsy Sports? Who cares????
Well, that's precisely the question. Does anybody care? My guess is that there are some people who actually do care. Some Taiwanese players/promoters/fans certainly come to mind.

Yes, I understand Ko and Change didn't renounce their citizenship or anything drastic like that. But c'mon, many of us here made a huge stink of CW captaining the US team when weeks before represented a totally different country in an international tournament. For those people who feel some nationalistic/patriotic allegiance in pool is important, then yes...some people would actually care. But for those who think pool is merely all about business and the benjamins, then you're right...who cares?

It's not that I'm in favor with one side over the other. I'd just like to hear different viewpoints regarding this.

Terry Ardeno

I still love my wife
Silver Member
They're moving the chains for pool in the Philippines and Asia as a whole. Sponsors such as Bugsy is a big, big plus for ANY serious pro pool player. I won't be surprised if they will try to add a couple of European players to their stable too. SVB, maybe? They also have this in mind:

"The PBB Face Off will resume on February 18, 2012 with a new format. The organizing committee lined up a match pitting
Philippines versus The Rest of Asia, Asia versus Europe and East versus West."

http://www.azbilliards.com/2000storya.php?storynum=9608

I'd like Po-Cheng Kuo to be able to play more international events. Hope Bugsy can sign him up also.

poohatur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this was a great move. I'd also like too see them more internationally!

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand from my contacts in Taiwan that this has not actually happened and if it did then they have not informed the Chinese Federation of their move.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chang Jung Lin and Ko Ping Yi were offered contracts by Bugsy's Promotions. But they did not sign them and the deal did not go through.

truefan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Philippines are forever announcing stuff that never happens. The Philippine Classic, The professional pool league that this same group touted for months and months and then it never happened, all of the empty threats that came out during the squabbles between Raya and Bugsy. The falsehoods out of that part of the world have gone on for years and continue today. I think gamesmanship is more valuable in Manila than honesty.

sunnyday

Ima Gangsta Bunny!
Silver Member
What was the other? I only heard it from the Chinese. I asked Bugsys for verification but they have not responded.

I won't name who or which group, but I'm constantly reading so called press release that never happened, said or implied by anyone... And for the ones that speak the truth never gets heard. Sad affair :(

S.G.