Lake salvage wood value

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My folks have a camp on a lake where there is a submerged lumber mill and a considerable amount of lumber that has been underwater for decades. We found it when fishing one day. Just curious if the wood has any value for cue making as I have seen people posting about lake salvage shafts.

Thanks!

Chris

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Wood

My folks have a camp on a lake where there is a submerged lumber mill and a considerable amount of lumber that has been underwater for decades. We found it when fishing one day. Just curious if the wood has any value for cue making as I have seen people posting about lake salvage shafts.

Thanks!

Chris

Is it maple ?
Is it already dried ?
If so was it cured or dried correctly?
Is the grain straight ?

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is it maple ?
Is it already dried ?
If so was it cured or dried correctly?
Is the grain straight ?
Thanks for the reply Mike. It's all underwater right now, just something we noticed on a few fishing trips. I expect a lot of factors will impact value, just curious if it may be worth my time to pull a few out in the summer when I am fishing.

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the input guys. I might go for a swim and mail the wood off to a cuemaker and get his thoughts on it

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always been under the assumption that the "lake wood" that was of value came from deep, cold water where bacteria doesn't exist, such as lake Superior.

Dick

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Wood

Thanks for the reply Mike. It's all underwater right now, just something we noticed on a few fishing trips. I expect a lot of factors will impact value, just curious if it may be worth my time to pull a few out in the summer when I am fishing.

To a wood worker almost all usable wood has its value.
Its worthless if you don't let the wood dry correctly for a few decades IMO ;)

So have the drying process all setup before dragging the wood home .