Large cue and Predator Partials!

MINDSEYE153

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the middle of a 9 ball match (while I'm waiting for my opponent to rack) and a customer comes up and asks if I have Predator partials. I say yes and he asks if I can make two shafts for his cue. I take a look at his cue and see that it has a checked ring pattern that I have in stock so I say, yes no problem it'll take a week He leaves the cue with me and I go back to my match.

Now I'm back in the shop getting ready to cut up all I need to do the shafts and as I'm measuring the different rings on the cue I notice that the cues joint is on the large side. .895"!!!

I have about 30 partials in stock and the largest is .872" and after I cut off an 1.250" to bring the length down to 29" its .856"

After calls to Predator and the cuemaker I'm coming to the realization that this isn't going to be the 1~2~3 job that cutting partials has always been.

Any ideas?

Paul

Fish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
not a cuemaker, but can you coat/spray the partial till it matches the butt ?

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MINDSEYE153 said:
In the middle of a 9 ball match (while I'm waiting for my opponent to rack) and a customer comes up and asks if I have Predator partials. I say yes and he asks if I can make two shafts for his cue. I take a look at his cue and see that it has a checked ring pattern that I have in stock so I say, yes no problem it'll take a week He leaves the cue with me and I go back to my match.

Now I'm back in the shop getting ready to cut up all I need to do the shafts and as I'm measuring the different rings on the cue I notice that the cues joint is on the large side. .895"!!!

I have about 30 partials in stock and the largest is .872" and after I cut off an 1.250" to bring the length down to 29" its .856"

After calls to Predator and the cuemaker I'm coming to the realization that this isn't going to be the 1~2~3 job that cutting partials has always been.

Any ideas?

Paul

That is quite a bit, around .040 but what I've done in the past on a number of occasions when someone wants me to fit a shaft from one cue to another and this same thing has occurred is that I put the ring on oversize, screw the shaft onto the trued up butt and make a straight cut on the deco ring until it matches the joint on the butt. I then set my compound to a shallow angle but sharp enough so that after making a pass using the compound the deco-ring is flush with the shaft but not even with the joint. I then change the angle enough so that the taper on the deco-ring comes out even with both shaft and joint. Might sound a little weird or complicated but actually only takes a couple of minutes.

Dick

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
MINDSEYE153 said:

Any ideas?

Paul

First of all why cut off 1.250? just cut it down for the shaft tenon. I would contact the individual and ask if he minds a slightly oversized shaft. If that works for him, put collars and rings together and taper them from the back to the tip slightly. Since most collar material is 900 + you can make this fit at the joint and then use the finish to make everything even.

MINDSEYE153

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
rhncue said:
That is quite a bit, around .040 but what I've done in the past on a number of occasions when someone wants me to fit a shaft from one cue to another and this same thing has occurred is that I put the ring on oversize, screw the shaft onto the trued up butt and make a straight cut on the deco ring until it matches the joint on the butt. I then set my compound to a shallow angle but sharp enough so that after making a pass using the compound the deco-ring is flush with the shaft but not even with the joint. I then change the angle enough so that the taper on the deco-ring comes out even with both shaft and joint. Might sound a little weird or complicated but actually only takes a couple of minutes.

Dick

manwon said:
First of all why cut off 1.250? just cut it down for the shaft tenon. I would contact the individual and ask if he minds a slightly oversized shaft. If that works for him, put collars and rings together and taper them from the back to the tip slightly. Since most collar material is 900 + you can make this fit at the joint and then use the finish to make everything even.
Dick,
I was thinking the same thing but the shaft rings together only add up to .300" and the jump down from .895" to .850" in only .300" feels pretty drastic.

manwon,
That was the first thing I tried and it's a no go with the customer he needs it 29" and the largest blank I have at .872" is 30.250" long so 1.250 has to come off. After the rings that are .300" wide go on it's down to .850".

Right now I'm checking with a few cuemaker friends to see if anyone has oversized blanks but in the end I'll probably be using a combination of a different taper on the ring and a serious amount of finish. That just seems like a lot of finish!

Thanks guys much appreciated,
Paul

RBC

Deceased
You could try the OB-1 partial.

Our partials are usually right at .880" all the way down to the joint area for
29" shafts.

If need be, i could build you a few at .900" if you want.

We actually make all our cue shafts right here in Plano, TX, so we can do some things that some of the others can't because they have their shafts made elsewhere.

Give us a call on Monday, or send me an email and we will get you fixed up.

Royce Bunnell
rbunnell@obcues.com
877-399-9901

MINDSEYE153

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RBC said:
You could try the OB-1 partial.

Our partials are usually right at .880" all the way down to the joint area for
29" shafts.

If need be, i could build you a few at .900" if you want.

We actually make all our cue shafts right here in Plano, TX, so we can do some things that some of the others can't because they have their shafts made elsewhere.

Give us a call on Monday, or send me an email and we will get you fixed up.

Royce Bunnell
rbunnell@obcues.com
877-399-9901
Royce,

Thanks for the offer, this customer insets on Predator so Predator it will have to be.

I love the idea of Made in the USA in all things not just cues and from now on will offer your shafts as an option. With the ability to get them a little larger I'll probably be pushing your shafts over the other options available.

Thanks

Paul