Largest audience for a billiard event?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Correct me if I’m wrong…but weren’t the finals of the college tournament held at the “Big House”, University of Michigan Wolverines stadium one year?

It holds over 100,000
Doubtful. Why would a pool tournament be held in an outdoor football stadium?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is going to be a great event to sweat if you enjoy snooker. Imagine how special the players feel when they land at the airport in Hong Kong and are greeted with flowers. Selby, Robertson, and O'Donnell arrive. The action begins today and runs through Sunday.

Interestingly, according to this article, United States Matchroom-dot-live members will be able to sweat the matches on Matchroom-dot-live and not the usual DAZN. https://wst.tv/how-to-watch-the-hong-kong-masters/

1a163315-10fb-4b75-96fa-a39fb9f8d35e_6ec67741.jpg

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the world snooker rankings as of today:

WORLD SNOOKER RANKINGS AFTER BRITISH OPEN​

• 1. Ronnie O'Sullivan (Eng) 1,034,000
  • 2. Judd Trump (Eng) 943,000
  • 3. Neil Robertson (Aus) 861,000
  • 4. Mark Selby (Eng) 828,500
  • 5. John Higgins (Sco) 520,000
  • 6. Kyren Wilson (Eng) 483,000
  • 7. Zhao Xintong (Chn) 450,000
  • 8. Mark Williams (Wal) 446,000
  • 9. Barry Hawkins (Eng) 339,500
  • 10. Mark Allen (NIr) 327,500
  • 11. Luca Brecel (Bel) 326,000
  • 12. Jack Lisowski (Eng) 323,000
  • 13. Shaun Murphy (Eng) 309,000
  • 14. Stuart Bingham (Eng) 303,500
  • 15. Yan Bingtao (Chn) 251,500
  • 16. Ryan Day (Wal) 246,000

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Aah the good ole days, when all the world was in black and white.
Yep, it was definitely a bummer when color was invented....
An interesting sidenote, Kodak invented color-capable film BEFORE color was actually invented. Many black and white photos we see today were actually taken on this new film.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting that they don't have the "regular" snooker referees here. They're Asian but speaking English with the score counts. Referees wearing masks, but players are not.

Judd Trump v. John Higgins just started at the time of this writing. You can hear a pin drop in the joint. Very quiet with polite applause every now and then.

Untitled.png

trump.png

678.png

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Doubtful. Why would a pool tournament be held in an outdoor football stadium?
So it could hold a vast amount of spectators?🤦🏻‍♂️

As I said, “correct me if I’m wrong”. 🙂

If you would have said “you’re wrong”, I would have said “ you’re correct”. 🙂

Please don’t take my post seriously. It’s the worst way to ruin a joke. 😉

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out this audience. They are very enthusiastic about snooker in Hong Kong. Unlike the rest of the world, they are all wearing masks. Hmm.

audience.png

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
*edit( Or competitors with the same name but different person) like John Lee 1, John Lee 2 and ..
Justin,

Couple of seasons back, there were 3 Ray Lees playing in Team 9-ball at Amsterdam. While there is potential for confusion, league director had no problems telling them apart. Most people I talk to, knew exactly which one based on context (handicap speed, home rooms, who they hang out and appearance).

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Justin,

Couple of seasons back, there were 3 Ray Lees playing in Team 9-ball at Amsterdam. While there is potential for confusion, league director had no problems telling them apart. Most people I talk to, knew exactly which one based on context (handicap speed, home rooms, who they hang out and appearance).
From an analytics perspective there is a concern on if the average number of Ray Lees is 3 or is it possible to be much higher? This will greatly impact precision for later analysis.

Three ray lees is a count but from how many ray lees are there? Its for pop estimates.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Check out this audience. They are very enthusiastic about snooker in Hong Kong. Unlike the rest of the world, they are all wearing masks. Hmm....
I believe that large parts of China are still in lockdown as they are still following a "zero Covid" policy. I was surprised that the tournament took place, but Hong Kong follows a somewhat different path than the rest of China.

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pretty cool
I once read that an event in chicago featuring mosconi outdrew the bears game happening simultaneously
would be curious to know if that was fact, and if so, how many folks watched mosconi vs.?